Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Controversial but Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Prescott, Alastair Campbell & Peter Mandelson (whilst quite a few scumbags in that list) were probably the smoothest collective of operators confined to one party in my lifetime.

I didn't vote for them, and they caused absolute shitstorms, but as a quote unquote, 'politician' they're probably the best collection.

Yep, they kept the Tories out of power in right-wing England for 13 years, so must've been doing something right.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, they kept the Tories out of power in right-wing England for 13 years, so must've been doing something right.

Yes, they stole many of their policies so more or less became a very slightly watered down version of the original.

I was away at hospital for 2 hours and just back, sounds like i haven't actually missed much drama.

As a wee aside on the whole Rangers/Celtic Unionist/Indy support i have found quite an interesting trend over last few years between Black Hackney Drivers and Private Taxi drivers in Glasgow.

I got black cab to hospital today as in rush and private one on way back and had a bit of political chat with both.

The black hackney driver was a Unionist, Brexit supporter and anti NS whereas the private taxi driver was exact opposite a remainer, pro indy and pro NS.

Not remarkable in itself but over last few years i have found similar trend. About 80% of male taxi drivers Scottish born & bred between 45-65 are all pro Brexit, pro Unionists and anti SNP. Whereas the vast majority of private taxi drivers who are between 30-55 and more multi cultural are strong Indy and SNP supporters.

Got me thinking to whether Glasgow Black cab drivers are mainly Protestants and private taxi drivers not lol  I am joking about that part 😉

Don't know if anyone has noticed similar. The thing about  taxi drivers is they are always keen to give an opinion on everything lol

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

TBF, I think Michael Howard, William Hague, and Iain Duncan Smith played their part, along with the lingering memories of the bacchanalian excesses of the previous Tory government.

Just as the Tories were able to explicitly ride on, "vote for us, or Labour will come to get you" for years, there was always the grim spectre of, "vote for us, or the Tories will shag your wife and daughter. And make your mother watch".

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not really the point that's being made but they adopted and furthered many of the Tories neoliberal policies, certainly initially. So the doing something right bit is just being as right wing as the Tories.  

To be fair, it was the second half that the 'Sturgeon must resign' crew clung to during the Salmond day.

4 hours in and barely a snippet to clutch onto is some performance by Sturgeon so far. Absolutely cigaring it from what I've watched and that's now being reflected on social media.

I’ve not watched most of this, but of the main offences:

The SG fucked up the judicial review. Not great but also surely not a matter for the First Minister?
Salmond knew a name of an accuser before meeting with Sturgeon. They dispute how Salmond knew this, but even if Salmond did know from a SG source it can also be true Sturgeon was unaware of this? The only way it becomes a problem is if Sturgeon can be shown to have known the person told Salmond. Surely unlikely.
Salmond’s lawyer says Sturgeon offered to intervene if it came to it. Sturgeon mostly denies but even if she did say it, there’s no evidence to suggest she did intervene. Therefore no problem?

I’m not up on the ins and outs of everything but not seeing what constitutes a major crime from Sturgeon personally here, at least not one that can be proven. She got a date/meeting wrong previously.

The SG have been very reluctant to hand over legal advice, were incompetent in their handling of the claims against Salmond and clearly Murrell/Evans et all are hiding something. Sturgeon personally? I don’t even know what the accusations are if I’m honest, away from a vague ‘broke the ministerial code’.

4 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

Tories are bad so the SNP can do as they please type post 

Not at all, Scottish tories are firing out no confidence votes and are  repeatedly calling for Nicola Sturgeons resignation due to her supposedly breaching the ministerial code, yet when asked about westminster senior tory ministers clear and accepted breaches of the ministerial code there is a silence and and an aura of how fuckin dare you ask that question.

My point was that according to the Scottish tories their westminster ministers and bosses can do as they wish without criticism from within.

It is hypocrisy of the highest order.

9 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

I was away at hospital for 2 hours and just back, sounds like i haven't actually missed much drama.

As a wee aside on the whole Rangers/Celtic Unionist/Indy support i have found quite an interesting trend over last few years between Black Hackney Drivers and Private Taxi drivers in Glasgow.

I got black cab to hospital today as in rush and private one on way back and had a bit of political chat with both.

The black hackney driver was a Unionist, Brexit supporter and anti NS whereas the private taxi driver was exact opposite a remainer, pro indy and pro NS.

Not remarkable in itself but over last few years i have found similar trend. About 80% of male taxi drivers Scottish born & bred between 45-65 are all pro Brexit, pro Unionists and anti SNP. Whereas the vast majority of private taxi drivers who are between 30-55 and more multi cultural are strong Indy and SNP supporters.

Got me thinking to whether Glasgow Black cab drivers are mainly Protestants and private taxi drivers not lol  I am joking about that part 😉

Don't know if anyone has noticed similar. The thing about  taxi drivers is they are always keen to give an opinion on everything lol

My Roman Catholic father in law was one of the most recent company secs of Glasgow Taxis and would go to celtic games with a large number of the other drivers and board so im going to suggest your theory is a wee bit shite especially considering most of his fellow taxi drivers were committed indy and snp voters. Taxi drivers will offer opinions on many things but most often they seem to hold whichever opinion they think will get them the best tip. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

She's unscathed here.  I don't think she's answered the questions directly but she's taken the heat out of it with her presentation.

The Duncan Hamilton, Pringle and Abedein evidence is pretty damning in terms of likelihood of when she knew.  But she's just refuted it entirely rather than try to explain it.  Not much more you can do with that other than consider whether that is credible or not.