Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

I've missed the past 2 hours. Anything interesting happening? I note BBC aren't going with Sturgeon as the main story right now so I take it, once again, there's no 'smoking gun'?

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I've missed the past 2 hours. Anything interesting happening? I note BBC aren't going with Sturgeon as the main story right now so I take it, once again, there's no 'smoking gun'?

I believe the gun was filled with blanks.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've only watched the last hour and the thing that stands out to me is the appaling quality of some of the MSPs we're electing.........both Nats and Unionists.

Edited by Angus_Don

Never was... I look forward to all the apologies from right wing & state media, opposition parties and Rangers fans. Clear hostile campaign against sturgeon.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Never was... I look forward to all the apologies from right wing & state media, plus all the apologies from opposition parties. Clear media campaign against sturgeon.

Fair play to Douglas Ross, his 'Sturgeon must resign' campaign on social media last night fair got even a few SNP fans a bit tetchy.

Back to normal now though so far.

Was there ever a time when parliament, in Westminster or Holyrood, had a broad swathe of quality political minds? Throughout my life, it's been standard to point out how shite most of them are.

Not disagreeing at all, but I assume there must have been a golden age of politicians who weren't about as good at (and put as much effort into) their job as the rest of us.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fair play to Douglas Ross, his 'Sturgeon must resign' campaign on social media last night fair got even a few SNP fans a bit tetchy.

He was interviewed on The Nine last night and had nothing.

Not much. Did Sturgeon asserting her dominance over Mitchell by reminding her who was the First Minister happen in thr last 2 hours?

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Which was exactly why he did it. He knew they had nothing so had to try and muddy the waters.

Even if they did have something, they'd probably be too incompetent to use it.

Just now, BFTD said:

Was there ever a time when parliament, in Westminster or Holyrood, had a broad swathe of quality political minds? Throughout my life, it's been standard to point out how shite most of them are.

Not disagreeing at all, but I assume there must have been a golden age of politicians who weren't about as good at (and put as much effort into) their job as the rest of us.

Controversial but Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Prescott, Alastair Campbell & Peter Mandelson (whilst quite a few scumbags in that list) were probably the smoothest collective of operators confined to one party in my lifetime.

I didn't vote for them, and they caused absolute shitstorms, but as a quote unquote, 'politician' they're probably the best collection.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, BFTD said:

The last decent set at Westminster were probably the Labour MPs under Blair...Brown (until he sold the gold), Blunkett, Prescott, Cook, Mowlam, Straw, Milburn et al. 

Lot's of experience and talent on the back benches as well. Not perfect by any means but a thousand times better than the corrupt Tories we have at the moment. 

Holyrood is a different beast because of the list. 

Mitchell going rogue and Baillie and Fraser (who were honestly fine from what I watched) live tweeting their shit talk should make this a scoosh for Sturgeon and her team to question the credibility of the committee. Poor stuff all round. 

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Can I get a general PnB jist of this as it looks like a minefield of shite trying to follow it all?

From what I gather,

Salmond definitely sexually assaulted someone (14 people coming forward is too much of a coincidence) but the inquiry didn't have enough evidence to prove it.

Sturgeon knew something was up and bent/broke the rules to try and get some justice for the victims.

Salmond is now going scorched earth and going for revenge to get her ousted while everyone from opposition parties are jumping on it also.

Absolutely nobody looks capable of taking over this mess as it looks like SNP are pretty much on the cusp of their own civil war(handbags would be a more appropriate word).

Have I got it right in a nutshell?

It's correct that the Scottish Government acted illegally in their investigation in having someone who'd already had contact with the complainants lead it; what's absolutely a matter of debate is that Sturgeon personally directed them to do so, or if she even knew they had done so at all until months after the investigation had started. If there was evidence she was part of the decision making process which led to SG officials acting illegally or encouraged it in any way that would be a resignation issue, but none has been presented.

It's really a question of whether they acted illegally through a) incompetence or b) a deliberate conspiracy to go after Salmond, and if b) is the case then c) was Sturgeon in on it. Absolutely nothing has been presented to make C remotely believable, and even any evidence pointing to B is hearsay rather than any smoking gun being produced. I'm still seeing A as being by far the most likely explanation, which is still embarrassing and that gross incompetence is still a resigning issue for some officials involved, but I don't see why it would be for Sturgeon.

Edited by Dunning1874

4 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Which was exactly why he did it. He knew they had nothing so had to try and muddy the waters.

Even if they did have something, they'd probably be too incompetent to use it.

That last line is it, imo. I got the impression that Fraser and Baillie were asking some awkward enough questions but none of the Unionist opposition parties can help themselves. You can smell the glee coming off of them which is understandable, they've had nothing to cling to for years now, but it makes them look like rank amateurs and opportunists.]

Ultimately if anyone's going to oust Sturgeon it's her own party and they're are people dumb enough to genuinely consider it.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Controversial but Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Prescott, Alastair Campbell & Peter Mandelson (whilst quite a few scumbags in that list) were probably the smoothest collective of operators confined to one party in my lifetime.

I didn't vote for them, and they caused absolute shitstorms, but as a quote unquote, 'politician' they're probably the best collection.

Not really controversial. Many of the figures you quote were absolute giants compared with halfwit pygmies like Dougie Ross or Willie Rennie or that pair of gin sodden old wrecks Mitchell & Fabiani.  Labour's cabinet in 1997 had some real heavyweights like Robin Cook and Mo Mowlam.  Staggering how bad some of them are now irrespective if they're Westminster or Holyrood.