Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

11 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I have no idea what a 'branch levy' supposedly is because I've never heard of any such thing, but it's also worth pointing out that he appears to be contending that SNP membership was 86,000 at the end of 2019, which nobody is arguing about in the first place.

We were 3 weeks ago. There were people arguing it was still 103,000

2 hours ago, orfc said:

Well well well

Big wings was right...

I don't think anyone doubted that people had left the party, but it still has more members than all the other parties combined, and the people who have left likely include almost everyone daft enough to vote for Ash Regan, so I wouldn't call that a victory for the Bath Party.

The juxtaposition yesterday should not be lost. Whilst Johnson was trying and failing to justify his outrageous behaviour, Sturgeon was humbly apologising for forced adoptions. 

Today sees Nicola's last First Minister's Questions and I wonder if Douglas Ross will find that charm gene he has been searching for for all of his political life.

On 16/03/2023 at 22:19, welshbairn said:

I don't think anyone doubted that people had left the party, but it still has more members than all the other parties combined, and the people who have left likely include almost everyone daft enough to vote for Ash Regan, so I wouldn't call that a victory for the Bath Party.

It's not about a win for Wings.

It's about him providing the correct information, yet again, which had previously been rubbished by the SNP and it's followers, including those on here.

He's a nasty wee nyaff, but his analysis is generally spot on.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

The juxtaposition yesterday should not be lost. Whilst Johnson was trying and failing to justify his outrageous behaviour, Sturgeon was humbly apologising for forced adoptions. 

Today sees Nicola's last First Minister's Questions and I wonder if Douglas Ross will find that charm gene he has been searching for for all of his political life.

Ross will start by saying something like "thanks for your years of service"then spend 5 times as long saying "however, SNP bad, Education, Economy, Memebership, Drug Deaths" etc

He is, as you say, an utterly charmless man.

2 hours ago, sophia said:

Apologised to those accused of witchcraft too. She absolutely loves apologising for things she had nothing to do with.

Maybe she should apologise for treading water for 8 years and leaving the SNP in a state.

2 hours ago, sophia said:

People shouldn’t be apologising for things over which they had no control.

Complete nonsense.

L'État, c'est moi. The victims of forced adoption had been asking for decades for recognition of the harm done to them by the State's institutions and the FM offered it on behalf of the nation. I don't see how anyone can think this was a bad thing for her to do.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Ross will start by saying something like "thanks for your years of service"then spend 5 times as long saying "however, SNP bad, Education, Economy, Memebership, Drug Deaths" etc

Correct on all counts. 

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

L'État, c'est moi. The victims of forced adoption had been asking for decades for recognition of the harm done to them by the State's institutions and the FM offered it on behalf of the nation. I don't see how anyone can think this was a bad thing for her to do.

It’s not a bad thing. However, the Scottish Parliament didn’t even exist back then.

Which institution was in charge of this scandal back in the day? I’m assuming the apology should be coming from Westminster. Is she apologising because care of children has since been devolved to Scotland?

People's cynicism on this is completely understandable. State does something terrible to it's citizens - apology issued 50 years later by someone who had no role in it.

While I don't think it's particularly bad or wrong for Sturgeon to do this, I mean these people deserve an apology and no one else seems bothered about doing it, but she's clearly leaving herself open to accusations of grandstanding here given the timing.

The real issue of course isn't Sturgeon's actual apology. It's the cynical nature of the state and it's institutions and the political class who inhabit them. I look forward to whoever is First Minister in 2053 apologising for the care home or drug deaths and receiving some sweet, sweet political credit from their supporters.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s not a bad thing. However, the Scottish Parliament didn’t even exist back then.

Which institution was in charge of this scandal back in the day? I’m assuming the apology should be coming from Westminster. Is she apologising because care of children has since been devolved to Scotland?

Had to get the apology out before Forbes gets elected and doesn't see a problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/23/and-its-goodbye-from-her-an-emotional-nicola-sturgeon-quits-the-stage

John Crace with an appreciative, measured piece in The Grauniad. He also lets us know what he thinks of DRoss.

"Sturgeon looked as if she was struggling to contain her emotions. This was quite a moment. A tectonic shift in Scottish politics. Nicola might not be regarded quite so highly inside Scotland as she often is outside. The Scots are less tolerant of the SNP’s shortcomings in government. South of the border, she appears somehow more significant. Especially when compared with the likes of David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Liz Truss. And even her opponents have to admit that hers is a rare political career that isn’t ending in abject failure. Most leaders would kill to win eight elections on the bounce."

On 23/03/2023 at 07:45, Leith Green said:

He's pretty stupid as well. To paraphrase the late  AA Gill  "a talking Toby Jug, filled to the brim with hot piss."