Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

47 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I am not a Tory. I’ve voted SNP the last few elections. Just think they are losing the plot 

You are a Tory.

You defend private education, inherited wealth, moan about NHS spending and moderate moves towards a progressive tax system and now its SNP being anti business.

You mean your embarrassed to admit to being a natural Tory.

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Being pro-business is be a bad thing. Businesses, particularly large ones, are mostly c***s. 

Agreed, take Ireland as an example. They’ve been so anti-business that they’ve managed to develop from an almost third-world midden to a highly advanced economy! Couldn’t agree more.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

You are a Tory.

You defend private education, inherited wealth, moan about NHS spending and moderate moves towards a progressive tax system and now its SNP being anti business.

You mean your embarrassed to admit to being a natural Tory.

Lets take this a step at a time

- Private education - I think there is a place for them, however, they should lose the tax breaks that they get. Is that defending them?

- Inherited wealth - yeah i dont think inheritance tax should exist or, at least, it should have a higher threshold. 

- Where have i moaned about NHS spending? All i have said is that we are not tackling the issues in the NHS with a particular focus on obesity. 

- pretty sure i have said nothing regarding your last point. I have said i am happy to pay more tax. However, i have pointed out that there is a limit on how much the SNP can tax people whilst also shafting a lot of businesses. You cant have it both ways if we want to be independent. You cant continually shaft businesses whilst also relying on them to employ people to keep the economy going.

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You cant have it both ways if we want to be independent. You cant continually shaft businesses whilst also relying on them to employ people to keep the economy going.

It's because we're not independent that we're desperately trying to raise more funds for public services that have been starved to death thanks to the tories since 2010.

3 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

It's because we're not independent that we're desperately trying to raise more funds for public services that have been starved to death thanks to the tories since 2010.

Sorry

That doesn’t make sense?

If you were independent where do you intend to raise the extra funds from?

12 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sorry

That doesn’t make sense?

Government bonds, diverting money from nuclear bombs and submarines, useless aircraft carriers, Crossrail and HS2 type projects that only really serve London, a monetary policy to suit the Scottish economy rather than the South East of England, there's a long list.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sorry

That doesn’t make sense?

Obviously the magic money tree that the Tories found in billions for their pals, while starving and freezing people to death with their induced cost of living crisis.

18 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sorry

That doesn’t make sense?

Will you take your answers in the form of lies on the side of a bus, as you did when supporting Brexit?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Government bonds, diverting money from nuclear bombs and submarines, useless aircraft carriers, Crossrail and HS2 type projects that only really serve London, a monetary policy to suit the Scottish economy rather than the South East of England, there's a long list.

Scotland has paid nothing towards HS2.

Scotland received Barnett consequentials relating to Crossrail as part of the overall departmental budgets.

Regarding monetary policy, I thought the SG was going to use the pound which means monetary policy and interest rates set by B of E?

The other stuff you mention doesn’t come to much and is well covered by the subsidies from London and the South East.

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Scotland has paid nothing towards HS2.

Scotland received Barnett consequentials relating to Crossrail as part of the overall departmental budgets.

Regarding monetary policy, I thought the SG was going to use the pound which means monetary policy and interest rates set by B of E?

The other stuff you mention doesn’t come to much and is well covered by the subsidies from London and the South East.

This is Daily Express reader levels of understanding in how a public economy works......and a complete failure to understand who actually subsidises who.

The true revenue generator from large public infrastructure projects is from the multiplier effect that the government spend creates in the economy of the region where the capital investment is made. The initial government investment creates numerous spin off enterprise and multiplies the tax take in that particular region.

As projects like HS2, Crossrail and so on are almost always centered on the Southern half of the UK, the multiplier effect is concentrated almost entirely within that region.

Needless to say consequentials such as the Barnett formula are calculated on the initial govt investment. Nothing is paid back in terms of the multiplied tax income generated. This being despite the fact that Scotland also made an investment, as part of the initial UK gov spend and helped generate that tax take in the South.

Its all a bit of a swindle really. Scotland (and other parts of the UK tbh) miss out massively in favour of London and the SE.

19 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

I notice that Nicola's face no longer appears in the political party broadcasts - is this because most of Scotland detest her?

Yet every election, whether it's been Westminster, Hollyrood or local, that the SNP have stood in since she has been leader, they have absolutely smashed each opposition party and not 1 poll I have read has stated that this is going to change any time soon. In actual fact the last poll I read suggested the amount of seats returned at the next General Election might actually rise.

On 19/01/2023 at 10:08, oneteaminglasgow said:

Being pro-business is be a bad thing. Businesses, particularly large ones, are mostly c***s. 

This Wolfie Smith stuff is all very well in the context of the simple palette of online badinage.

However it bears no scrutiny as large as well as small businesses are populated by people who are generally well adjusted. What we have established is that approximately twenty percent of us aren't what we would like to describe as "good guys" and that certainly is not a majority.

It strikes me that a equal and opposite wee piece of polemic from the other side of the political spectrum would have us frothing so I guess that says something about the gist of this place.

God, she's fucking insufferable! Interruptions, pretending to care about trans people in a mealy-mouthed faux sympathetic tone while asking the same questions as every other right-wing loon. "Press pause while this thing is sorted out" says Laura, meaning "do what the Tory press wants you to do or else". Come back Andrew Marr.

3 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Sturgeon steps down before the end of the year.

Nor me. I'd like it to be her decision, in consultation with her colleagues, and not as the result of being hounded to distraction by angry, whiny British meaning English nationalists. I fear the latter though.