Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Why is that?

He was correct about all the nonsense that was spouted about Covid.

If we had had no lockdowns we would have been in a much better financial position with the same number of deaths.

It was like trying to hold back the tide.

Never a good idea.

That's one of the most daft interventions since fekwit Gove announced that we have had enough of experts during the Brexit campaign. 

On 14/01/2023 at 13:06, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This is fantasist pish of the first degree.

what is? I know a number in my now ex-branch who are giving it one last go after the GRR bill, but if there's no change they are switching 

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Question to all the SNP/NS fan boys on here.

Do you actually agree with this GRR stuff or are you just being loyal?

Why not? It's gone fine In Ireland since they introduced it in 2015, it had cross party support at Westminster until the Tory party went insane with culture wars last year. I'd have thought that as a right wing libertarian you'd be the last person to object to the State staying out of people's private business. 

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I'm a voter, not a fanboy (whatever that is), but I'll answer anyway. I don't agree with it entirely, but mostly I don't especially care. We have more pressing issues at hand. And on those, the SNP do more right than wrong, and certainly better than either Labour or Tory have to offer. 

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Why not? It's gone fine In Ireland since they introduced it in 2015, it had cross party support at Westminster until the Tory party went insane with culture wars last year. I'd have thought that as a right wing libertarian you'd be the last person to object to the State staying out of people's private business. 

Only thing is, the state needs to get involved in issuing the certificates.

Agree about the state staying out of peoples private business.

Just let them get on with it.

55 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Again, not a fanboy. But yes I completely agree with stance taken by the Scottish Parliament, cross party support to enact law is exactly the way it should work, especially if that parliament uses PR to elect its representatives.

I also completely agree with every single point of the legislation, I also object that WM are thinking of using S35. 
More pertinently, what are your objections to it? 

25 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Only thing is, the state needs to get involved in issuing the certificates.

Agree about the state staying out of peoples private business.

Just let them get on with it.

It already does so for passports, which you can change your gender on without a GRC. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Alba does not have 10,000 ex-SNP members.

Why do you think they had so many roasters standing last May?

I totally agree but I’m happy for any  SNP member/former member who sees Alba as being politically attractive to go and join them.

Maybe they can also take Joanna Cherry and John Mason (please).

On 13/01/2023 at 13:04, StellarHibee said:

What you describe is economic idealism, while completely ignoring the rate in which the switch to green energy needs to occur. It's not "gesture politics" as you bluntly put it. It's actually a very real situation that many simply don't want to face up to.

Its economic reality. Until we use less than we produce (and thats not going to happen for at least a quarter of a century if not longer)....its really not very clever either from an economic or environmental standpoint to shut down the North Sea.

5 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Its economic reality. Until we use less than we produce (and thats not going to happen for at least a quarter of a century if not longer)....its really not very clever either from an economic or environmental standpoint to shut down the North Sea.

We already use less energy than we produce in renewables. The bulk of our green energy is exported. That's the sole reason why we still rely on fossil fuels. That's why I mentioned in a previous comment that we would effectively have to halt our exports of green energy in order for it to meet our energy requirements. I'm not sure where you got the quarter of a century stuff from, but it's categorically untrue.

16 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I am a member of the SNP, but that doesnt mean I agree with everything they do (their green credentials, for example are crap).

On the GRR, there seems to be no downside to this bill for non-trans people.

Similar non-medicalised laws are being introduced all over the world and the fact that England are looking to exclude "foreign" GRCs as well as the proposed Scottish ones tells you which country / parliament are out of line with the rest of the world here.

15 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Alba does not have 10,000 ex-SNP members.

Why do you think they had so many roasters standing last May?

Everyone I know personally is an ex-member, everyone who stood last year is an ex-member. 

now it's possible there's a few members in there who've never been a member of a political party, but how likely do you think that is? It's generally the most politically geeky that actually join partys, you're saying that folks who'd never been in a party before were suddenly inspired when Alba launched? That's really your line here?