Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

How do folk view the Lib Dems policy position to 'make Brexit work' incidentally? This being a party, which in 2019 campaigned to reverse the decision.
So, that leaves the SNP as the only current (back in the EU)....yes, but 'maybe' in 10 years time, or more.
The Fib Dems are political opportunists - we saw with Cameron's coalition that their principles went out the window.

In any case, given their current polling, they are an irrelevance.

A couple of posts back I listed the legislation enacted by a Labour govt between 1997-2010. Did any of it improve any lives?
When Blair was elected as leader in 1994 we heard a lot about shutting down the left, he's just a Tory, they will never implement any of these proposals (funny how these things always go in cycles)...and yet that list of policies were all passed into law by that same govt after setting them out in their manifestos 
Yes the Tories got back in (eventually) due largely to a global financial crash and the right wing press demolition of Gordon Brown, but they needed the Liberals (the Liberals!) to do so.
In a UK wide election where constitutences are contested across 4 countries is it not also 'democracy' if the Tories are elected? They did win the most seats after all. Same as Brexit was a UK wide election..I was furious at the result and yes, also Scotland voting to remain and being taken out, but it was still a UK wide election.
So we get a long term SNPland post Independence..that's democracy as well (just the same as the other 2 examples). Given that in 15 years in power they have enacted one redistributive policy (proceeds of crime bill) not holding my breath for largese in future for.most people.

Blair inherited many of those policies from John Smith - as first terms goes it was pretty good.

After that it went downhill as Blair brought in more of his own policies.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

How do folk view the Lib Dems policy position to 'make Brexit work' incidentally? This being a party, which in 2019 campaigned to reverse the decision.

So, that leaves the SNP as the only current (back in the EU)....yes, but 'maybe' in 10 years time, or more.

cos Scotland would be at the back of the queue 😂

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree with @btb, it’s both surprising and disappointing that after all that’s happened and is still happening in UK politics the needle on Independence has hardly moved.

I understand the apparent logic in that but the reality is that many voters seem to adopt a mentality of 'well, if the UK is really struggling then what chance would an independent Scotland have ?' Rather than examine just WHY the UK is a rapidly failing and divided entity they become wholly consumed by fear, stoked in large part by a hard-right British Nationalist media agenda.

My (the older) generation is particularly susceptible and far too many either ignore or are too selfish to consider that as things stand they could be complicit in shafting the future prospects of their children and grandchildren.  Not all are political anoraks like us and the dogmatic ignorance out there can be frightening.  And then of course there is shite like the monarchy, and perpetual scaremongering over pensions.

If I were an SNP strategist I would be seriously directing the message to those aged 50 years and under.

49 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I understand the apparent logic in that but the reality is that many voters seem to adopt a mentality of 'well, if the UK is really struggling then what chance would an independent Scotland have ?' Rather than examine just WHY the UK is a rapidly failing and divided entity they become wholly consumed by fear, stoked in large part by a hard-right British Nationalist media agenda.

My (the older) generation is particularly susceptible and far too many either ignore or are too selfish to consider that as things stand they could be complicit in shafting the future prospects of their children and grandchildren.  Not all are political anoraks like us and the dogmatic ignorance out there can be frightening.  And then of course there is shite like the monarchy, and perpetual scaremongering over pensions.

If I were an SNP strategist I would be seriously directing the message to those aged 50 years and under.

Speaking to folk I work with (and relatives) in their 50s and 60s and this is definitely the case.  Boomers who have been brainwashed by the media, and were probably educated this way in the 60s and 70s, that Britain was the best, Rule Britannia, Blitz Spirit etc was the correct thing to believe. 

Younger folk, in their teens, 20s, 30s can see through the Unionist media bullshit and can make their own decisions when it comes to the Union and, hopefully, the vast majority will be Yes voters.

55 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Agree with all of that, particularly the issue of where the message should be directed to.

There’s lots of folk in my age group who support Independence but very few who don’t who will be converted.

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

As an aside to this, who is the quote from in your signature? Its tremendous. 

Someone on here years ago was ripping into some Celtic loser who was in floods of tears over something daft.  Think it may have been the referees strike in 2011 actually.  I was pishing for about half an hour after reading it.

46 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Speaking to folk I work with (and relatives) in their 50s and 60s and this is definitely the case.  Boomers who have been brainwashed by the media, and were probably educated this way in the 60s and 70s, that Britain was the best, Rule Britannia, Blitz Spirit etc was the correct thing to believe. 

Younger folk, in their teens, 20s, 30s can see through the Unionist media bullshit and can make their own decisions when it comes to the Union and, hopefully, the vast majority will be Yes voters.

Hardly. The main things that stick in my mind from 60's & 70's are the Profuma scandal, security services trying to undermine Harold Wilson, a raft of spy scandals usually involving Oxbridge / Old Etonians, strikes, George 'Cvnty' Cunningham's Amendment to the 1978 Scotland Act, strikes and more strikes. Sure, in England the Rule Britannia / 'Cockernee Sparra' Blitz Bullshit was more prevalent (Alf Garnett Syndrome) but I cannot seriously remember it being a 'thing' in Scotland.

Oh, and Ally MacLeod leading Scotland to WC glory in Argentina '78.

17 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Hardly. The main things that stick in my mind from 60's & 70's are the Profuma scandal, security services trying to undermine Harold Wilson, a raft of spy scandals usually involving Oxbridge / Old Etonians, strikes, George 'Cvnty' Cunningham's Amendment to the 1978 Scotland Act, strikes and more strikes. Sure, in England the Rule Britannia / 'Cockernee Sparra' Blitz Bullshit was more prevalent (Alf Garnett Syndrome) but I cannot seriously remember it being a 'thing' in Scotland.

Oh, and Ally MacLeod leading Scotland to WC glory in Argentina '78.

Sorry, for Scotland I should've simply said 'BUT WHIT ABOOT MA PENSHUNNNNNNNNNN'

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Here is Sturgeon absolutely nailing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-63194542

Most politicians would not even have stopped to answer the question.

It's pathetic they're still attacking her for that, and even more pathetic she has to continually explain what she meant.

Is this the only thing left for the media to attack her on?

20 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It's pathetic they're still attacking her for that, and even more pathetic she has to continually explain what she meant.

Is this the only thing left for the media to attack her on?

Pretty much.  Any soundbites they can get their hands on.  The media know there's little or no positive cases for the Union so are having to stoop to twisting her words.

The 'detest' comment was cynical but highly effective way to take the attention of the fact that she has nothing to say about currency, joining the EU or the ramifications of losing the Supreme Court case.

12 months until Indyref2? If that doesn't happen it's less than two years to a General Election that could lead to UDI? Does anyone actually believe she is going to do either of these things?

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The 'detest' comment was cynical but highly effective way to take the attention of the fact that she has nothing to say about currency, joining the EU or the ramifications of losing the Supreme Court case.

12 months until Indyref2? If that doesn't happen it's less than two years to a General Election that could lead to UDI? Does anyone actually believe she is going to do either of these things?

I dont think anyone has said that a successful plebiscite in two years would be used for a UDI.

I dont see a lose in the supreme court case. Either you win and Scottish ministers can table a referendum on their own. 

Or you lose and demonstrate the lack of consent in the union.