Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Shafi tried to dissolve it but it seems the majority of the RIC ignored him and have carried on. It was always a movement based on local branches rather than an all-powerful national leadership. The attitude of the branches seems to have been "Oh, you're leaving? Bye then."

The RIC have had national meetings on a couple of occasions since Shafi and the Trot cadres departure.

Cheers mate.

As a Unionist, I always considered them to be a formidable force.  They did a lot of effective work in the schemes.

8 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Clearly supports the union of the crowns but not the parliaments. Move along...

Invited to official shindig in her capacity as FM, makes diplomatic smalltalk with Queen, mentions independence.

She's good.

Didn't get booed either.

Sturgeon is a great politican and has made the SNP a lot more accessible than under Salmond. She's very good at what she does and when she leaves for her NGO or UN job I'll remember her in a relatively positive light. I think the weird twitter lesbian stuff is really disgusting and bottom of the barrel smear stuff. There's definitely too many wrong uns in the Unionst camp at the moment. 

What I do fault her on is how she has morphed the SNP into being some establishment career politican gravy train hub. Perhaps a long game strategy... I can certainly see why Alba Das get frustrated at her tactics and act up, also I think her selective amnesia during the internal enquiry was deplorable, nowhere near Boris and his lies but still pretty shameful for what most people would want a functioning accountable democracy to look like. 

SNP face the same political cyclical problem that the Tories are going through where due to their dedication to winning rather than anything politically substantive they don't have anyone that looks anywhere near being capable of matching their current leaders. 

2 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Fancy a wager?

If a referendum is held in 2023 you win, and if not then it's yet another win for the Freshener?

There it is again.

2023, and referendum

Everyone's talking about it. Even those who would supposedly not vote.

12 minutes ago, Zern said:

There it is again.

2023, and referendum

Everyone's talking about it. Even those who would supposedly not vote.

7 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Not only are you unable to counter my points, but you're unable to put your money where your mouth is too.

Cool your jets, you two, FFS!

Much more fun is to be had by pointing and laughing at the Natwits!

9 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Not only are you unable to counter my points, but you're unable to put your money where your mouth is too.

It's all this talk of referendums and 2023. It's very distracting.

Will you be voting?

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Jonathan Shafi is a divisive figure (RISE were a joke, and his antics over trying to disolve the Radical Independence Campaign lost him a lot of credibility), but his new long-form analyses of Scottish politics seem pretty convincing to me.

Shall we say he's not at all optimistic about the prospect of another referendum, and increasingly sees the SNP ar corporate, right wing, and much more interested in appearing "reasonable" on issues such as NATO membership, and in not rocking the boat generally, than in the votes and motivations of the membership.

A long read, but worthwhile. https://jonathonshafi.substack.com/p/tipping-point?s=r

Shafi and others on the left have been banging this drum for a while now.

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Shafi and others on the left have been banging this drum for a while now.

Yeah, and with some justification. Like I say Shafi is not for everyone and some ask why anyone should bother listening when his own political career ended in complete farce. But then some analysts shouldn't be politicians, I guess. The SNP's rightward drift since the late twenty-teens has been pretty undeniable.

12 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Yeah, and with some justification. Like I say Shafi is not for everyone and some ask why anyone should bother listening when his own political career ended in complete farce. But then some analysts shouldn't be politicians, I guess. The SNP's rightward drift since the late twenty-teens has been pretty undeniable.

Aye, I agree with most of what Shafi says there. It's why I no longer vote SNP.

I can understand the need for the broad church stuff and their determination not to scare people off, but it's beginning to be counterproductive.