Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

Doesn’t seem to be stopping the homophobia running rampant. The usual suspects are already excitedly outing themselves (ironically enough) as bigoted homophobes by throwing around terms like “r*g-munching”; they appear to see same-sex relationships as deviant and are only too happy to spread rumours that Nippy (boo!) is one of them queeries.

Moths to a flame

9 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Doesn’t seem to be stopping the homophobia running rampant. The usual suspects are already excitedly outing themselves (ironically enough) as bigoted homophobes by throwing around terms like “r*g-munching”; they appear to see same-sex relationships as deviant and are only too happy to spread rumours that Nippy (boo!) is one of them queeries.

Where is all this coming from?

Im not a SNP supporter(Indy voter but not alba)and up until about a year ago I thought they ran things better than labour did or anyone else..  I have realised now with some history and hindsigt that they dont run things any better. What has improved things slightly is a devolved governmet what would improve things sightly more is an independent government.  The snp isnt any better than any other party but the structure of independence would be better even if its just slightly better.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 hour ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Im not a SNP supporter(Indy voter but not alba)and up until about a year ago I thought they ran things better than labour did or anyone else..  I have realised now with some history and hindsigt that they dont run things any better. What has improved things slightly is a devolved governmet what would improve things sightly more is an independent government.  The snp isnt any better than any other party but the structure of independence would be better even if its just slightly better.

There really isn't much of a reason to believe that independent government would mean any improvement if you don't trust the SNP. Ultimately what it would just mean is that the SNP would be in power for 5-10 years with less money to actually govern with.

3 hours ago, DMCs said:

There really isn't much of a reason to believe that independent government would mean any improvement if you don't trust the SNP. Ultimately what it would just mean is that the SNP would be in power for 5-10 years with less money to actually govern with.

It's quite a leap to assume the first 5-10 years of Independence would be led by the SNP. The structure of every political party in Scotland would alter markedly, some would no longer exist.

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's quite a leap to assume the first 5-10 years of Independence would be led by the SNP. The structure of every political party in Scotland would alter markedly, some would no longer exist.

Don't think it's much of a stretch at all. It's very common for the party that achieves independence to be rewarded with power for a decent while after.

2 hours ago, DMCs said:

Don't think it's much of a stretch at all. It's very common for the party that achieves independence to be rewarded with power for a decent while after.

How many years will we have to have the corrupt and incompetent Tories governing us (with less money and more racism) since Johnson and his spivs managed to gain independence from the EU?

9 hours ago, DMCs said:

Thinking of nations in Europe which have become independent or regime free, specifically Czechoslovakia splitting after the Hypher War in 1993, or even Portugal after the Carnation Revolution in 1974, that wasn't really the case. Perhaps you are basing your thoughts on countries which overcame colonialism by, for example, the British (Empire), but that wouldn't be a good comparison with likely Scottish developments.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Thinking of nations in Europe which have become independent or regime free, specifically Czechoslovakia splitting after the Hypher War in 1993, or even Portugal after the Carnation Revolution in 1974, that wasn't really the case. Perhaps you are basing your thoughts on countries which overcame colonialism by, for example, the British (Empire), but that wouldn't be a good comparison with likely Scottish developments.

Havel was instrumental in the Velvet revolution and the direct successor party of the one he founded has been the most successful electorally in the new Czech state so I'm not really sure what you are referring to there.

Similar situations with Poland, Croatia and Slovenia.

Now you could say it is a very different situation as we aren't going to be a post-communist state. But it is a pattern that exists.

11 hours ago, DMCs said:

If the SNP remain in their present form post Independence and if they are voted into office that will be its because what the Scottish electorate want.  It’s called democracy; personally I’m in favour of it.

FWIW I am fairly certain there will be a realignment of political parties soon after Independence.  One other crucial factor is that any government will be elected by PR ensuring a far more representative government whatever the party political structure.  It won’t be like Westminster where you can get an 80 seat majority on forty odd percent of the vote.

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

Havel was instrumental in the Velvet revolution and the direct successor party of the one he founded has been the most successful electorally in the new Czech state so I'm not really sure what you are referring to there.

Similar situations with Poland, Croatia and Slovenia.

Now you could say it is a very different situation as we aren't going to be a post-communist state. But it is a pattern that exists.

Fair comment: I was finding it difficult to think of a comparable situation, and there possibly isn't one. Havel isn't a good example, I was thinking of Slovakia becoming independent of the new Czechoslovakia, but that's not a great case either.

28 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

A very tedious line, among so many others, is that independence is some grand evil plan to make Nicola our Queen. 

Remember when it was all about Eck. "Oh, so you want to replace OUR QUEEN with President Salmond, is that it?"

If we really need a Head of State, aye, I'd quite them to be accountable to us. Crazy, I know. Be nice if we could do something about their hoarding of land, property, and wealth too, but start small.

40 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Remember when it was all about Eck. "Oh, so you want to replace OUR QUEEN with President Salmond, is that it?"

If we really need a Head of State, aye, I'd quite them to be accountable to us. Crazy, I know. Be nice if we could do something about their hoarding of land, property, and wealth too, but start small.

If people are really sold on an hereditary monarchy we can just appoint a new royal family based on a postcode draw.

”We are delighted to announce that the new king and queen are Bill and Susan Chalmers from Stirling.

Bill has been a postal worker for 28 years and Susan has recently gone part-time at Tesco to help with looking after their first grandchild, Emily.

Bill is a lifelong supporter of Stirling Albion and has a season…”

I’ve taken that too far haven’t I?

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If people are really sold on an hereditary monarchy we can just appoint a new royal family based on a postcode draw.

”We are delighted to announce that the new king and queen are Bill and Susan Chalmers from Stirling.

Bill has been a postal worker for 28 years and Susan has recently gone part-time at Tesco to help with looking after their first grandchild, Emily.

Bill is a lifelong supporter of Stirling Albion and has a season…”

I’ve taken that too far haven’t I?

Shouldn’t we limit those who can enter the draw to people who can demonstrate that their family histories include mass-murdering, inbred weirdos?

10 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Shouldn’t we limit those who can enter the draw to people who can demonstrate that their family histories include mass-murdering, inbred weirdos?

So King Granny.  Are you sure?