Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

11 minutes ago, Zern said:

They hate her because she is good at her job, popular, with a international reputation and record that is the envy of many an aspiring politician. There is no stain of corruption there. So they have to make it up.

It is one of the many many reasons why i like her so much.

She drives them absolutely nuts every day by not being the caricature of the person that they want her to be.

Kind of similar to the vitriol that Greta gets.

(and it's totally NOT because they are women)

I suspect it is her popularity, which she largely seems to have retained throughout covid*, that infuriates them (and I agree there’s a gendered element to it - “that woman!”). Indy supporters want Johnson in place because he’s genuinely unpopular across Scotland and really is beyond caricature; BritNats want Sturgeon out because they’re terrified that she is popular. But they’ll deny that to hell and back.

*obviously not universally, but probably generally amongst the public. I just find her a bit safe, and definitely lacking in the energy and genuine spark I thought she had back in the day.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, MS RR said:
I believed we were better in the EU but ultimately I knew it wasn’t going to make that much of an impact on our way of life. 

I forget the EU is a utopian political organisation emoji854.png

You my friend, are a britnat

🇬🇧😉

Not sure it's her popularity or otherwise. It's simply that personal attacks are easier than attacks on policy or arguments about independence for people who have a visceral attachment to the union. They don't want to get involved in political discussion about Scotland's future because they don't want to discuss it, and can't articulate it anyway. But they can justify their sclerotic position in their own mind by claiming personal distrust of Sturgeon. It allows them to evade discussion.

They did the same thing when Salmond was in charge, and I promise you it will be the same for whoever comes after Sturgeon.

10 hours ago, Zern said:

You're delusional.

You're looking at the lack of evidence of guilt from Nicola and declaring that it must exist because you say so. Then going further and condemning her for covering up the non-existent evidence!

As we saw from the malformed ideas stuffed in the head of the man from Falkirk; you guys don't have anything to point to other than your very shitty opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Just not your own facts.

I already posted evidence of lies told.  Any rational person would see her evidence to committee or her "we work on a cash basis" regarding how the SNP have spent £600k of "ring-fenced" funds (they don't) and see it for what it is - lies.  I would take a look in the mirror before throwing around accusations of delusion.

The only other explanation would be incompetence and she, unlike Boris, isn't getting away with that as an excuse.

Edited by strichener

1 minute ago, strichener said:

I already posted evidence of lies told.  Any rational person would see her evidence to committee or her "we work on a cash basis" regarding how the SNP have spent £600k of "ring-fenced" funds and see it for what it is - lies.  I would take a look in the mirror before throwing around accusations of delusion.

"any rational person" = "we all know". slam dunk. 

I mean it's an easy ride for unionists. When it's "our lot" in power they'll cry to the rafters yet ultimately we are discussing whether we should treat people with respect, so really if they lose the debate (and I would argue it was lost to them decades ago) the worst that can happen is their own personal life may be improved, it may not, but it's very unlikely to get worse.

When it's "their lot", then we have to fight against racism, bigotry, xenophobia and hatred, knowing that when they are in power only a very select section of society will benefit while vast tranches will be hammered.

That is the problem with unionists. Not that they have a conservative outlook or that they show considerably more deference to the ruling classes and royalty than they deserve, but that their position is supporting a narrow band of hate and division.

It's not a level playing field, this isn't a case of "both sides are the same", it's quite clear one side is ideologically set up to punish those who don't agree with it, while the other is simply trying to push forward policies that genuinely represent the cultural shift that is going on in this country.

Edited by Ric

Everything tends to kick off in here when very little is happening with THAT WOMAN in the real world. Wondering if it's linked to cycles of the moon or something.

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Everything tends to kick off in here when very little is happening with THAT WOMAN in the real world. Wondering if it's linked to cycles of the moon or something.

Absolutely not. It is so quiet around the politics forum just now because everyone is now fully concentrating on the forthcoming Raith v Arbroath match. 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Absolutely not. It is so quiet around the politics forum just now because everyone is now fully concentrating on the forthcoming Raith v Arbroath match. 

Don't be daft. Nobody on the Politics subforum is remotely interested in the soccerballing.

7 hours ago, strichener said:

I already posted evidence of lies told.  Any rational person would see her evidence to committee or her "we work on a cash basis" regarding how the SNP have spent £600k of "ring-fenced" funds (they don't) and see it for what it is - lies.  I would take a look in the mirror before throwing around accusations of delusion.

The only other explanation would be incompetence and she, unlike Boris, isn't getting away with that as an excuse.

Your opinion is not evidence. What evidence there was, that one time, proved insufficient and appeared to be largely ill-motivated. We all got to see how Nicola conducts herself under cross-examination during a public enquiry and she did amazingly well, came across as sincerely motivated and answered all the questions with cogent and coherent answers. What begun with many suspecting wrong doing ended with public opinion coming out overwhelmingly in her favour.

Contrast that with the current Party Minister whose secretary is writing a report for his approval on the question of work events. Boris is currently unavailable for comment as he is self-isolating. He doesn't have covid. No isolation needed. No zoom calls. No interviews. No questions. Speak to Sue Grey. (Soon to be Lady Grey.)

Regardless. The public record of both is available to all and i fail to see how you can place Nicola in same league as Boris much less rate her a being more untrustworthy, they're not even playing the same sport.

Nicola is a competent professional at the top of her game without any red cards to her record.

Boris is serial offender banned multiple times, passed out drunk on the wiff-waff table.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Don't be daft. Nobody on the Politics subforum is remotely interested in the soccerballing.

Yeah. There's no way I'm giving up my afternoon to watch something like that when I can read @Glen Sannox & @strichener expert views instead.

Who won by the way?

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Yeah. There's no way I'm giving up my afternoon to watch something like that when I can read @Glen Sannox & @strichener expert views instead.

Who won by the way?

Sadly, Raith lost 2-1. I didn't see the game but in the finest traditions of football fans all over the world, I'll say that they were robbed. 

5 hours ago, Zern said:

Your opinion is not evidence. What evidence there was, that one time, proved insufficient and appeared to be largely ill-motivated. We all got to see how Nicola conducts herself under cross-examination during a public enquiry and she did amazingly well, came across as sincerely motivated and answered all the questions with cogent and coherent answers. .

If "cogent and coherent" covers the "didn't remember" moments, then you are 100% correct.

What were the committee findings again?  I can't remember their praise for the cogent and coherent answers, more that they were hindered from carrying out their investigation, the "inappropriate" behaviour of the First Minister and ""concludes that the Scottish government was responsible from an early stage for a serious, substantial and entirely avoidable situation that resulted in a prolonged, expensive and unsuccessful defence of the petition".

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, strichener said:

If "cogent and coherent" covers the "didn't remember" moments, then you are 100% correct.

What were the committee findings again?  I can't remember their praise for the cogent and coherent answers, more that they were hindered from carrying out their investigation, the "inappropriate" behaviour of the First Minister and ""concludes that the Scottish government was responsible from an early stage for a serious, substantial and entirely avoidable situation that resulted in a prolonged, expensive and unsuccessful defence of the petition".

The committee findings were that the accusations that Nicola Sturgeon had misled parliament or breached the ministerial code were unfounded.

The committee then cleared her of wrongdoing. The vote of no confidence failed. She was re-elected again and continues.

Not even Alex Salmond is interested in arguing this further.

None of this leads me to conclude that Nicola Sturgeon is more untrustworthy or dishonest than Johnson.

If anything. The way she referred herself to the committee and the cross-party nature and independence of its setup leads me to think that Nicola is more honest than Johnson. Nicola avoided a political hot potato with a former colleague and made certain to distance herself from any influence in the investigation.

Johnson abolished the Westminster ministerial standards committee when it found that his mate Owen Paterson had broken the rules. The committee in that case didn't even demand Owen resign. It was a merely a 4 week suspension. Johnson didn't dispute that the ministerial code had been breached either. His issue was that there should be no consequences for his mate. And in short order there weren't any.

Of the two. I think Nicola comes out with a better record on conduct with regards to ministerial standards committees.

If anything it makes me like her more.