Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Jesus f**k. There are wild takes, and then there is this.

You can make the argument for Angela Merkel, certainly the taking in of a million refugees was probably the bravest and best single act of a world leader in modern times. Happy to rank them side by side if you prefer. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You can make the argument for Angela Merkel, certainly the taking in of a million refugees was probably the bravest and best single act of a world leader in modern times. Happy to rank them side by side if you prefer. 

Probably best to list their respective achievements side by side.  I'll start with Sturgeon's - Baby box and ehm...

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Probably the best post you can point to if you wanted to highlight the damage neoliberalism has did to politics in the last 40 years.

11 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hahaha. Merkel is streets ahead any political leader on the planet. Sturgeon is probably the most capable in the UK among utter basket cases. Sturgeon is nowhere being one of the greats of modern, or even older times. Take your Sturgeon tinted specs off!

52 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Hahaha. Merkel is streets ahead any political leader on the planet. Sturgeon is probably the most capable in the UK among utter basket cases. Sturgeon is nowhere being one of the greats of modern, or even older times. Take your Sturgeon tinted specs off!

I'm not so sure.

Merkel inherited and maintained a mature economy and whereas she has been fairly steady, I rather agree with @williemillersmoustache and Nicola is so inspirational in her guidance and leadership towards what will be a decisive vote.

13 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

For a while it looked like that could have led to the first far right Government since WW2. She got humiliated by a very young refugee girl asking why her parents couldn't stay in Germany, and she said they should have applied legally from home. Shit hit the fan and she said everyone's welcome, cue a never ending convoy of people walking across Eastern Europe.

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I know it's horrifically low-effort and everything, but somebody spent time on that, and presumably thought they'd done a good job.

Gold standard misogyny.

It is almost like Harry Enfield never existed.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Gold standard misogyny.

It is almost like Harry Enfield never existed.

I seem to remember @philyerboots running a good line in that too, so I assume he got banned from the family computer for a while and forgot his password.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I know it's horrifically low-effort and everything, but somebody spent time on that, and presumably thought they'd done a good job.

Even sadder when someone lifts it and shares it here for the bants. Woeful.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

it's the exclamation mark at the end that gives it a classy finishing touch - offering a suggestion of something that needed to be said or a slight variation on the old "someone finally saying what we are all thinking".

In fact I do enjoy that latter phrase which more often than not tends to be someone shouting about immigrants or being racist. The person who says "it is what we are all thinking" seems to believe their FB and friends circle is wholly representative of everyone in the country. I admire that sheer fearless belief. 

3 hours ago, Elric said:

This will likely sound hideously ignorant, as I'm probably missing something obvious, but how useful are Oyster cards these days anyway? Last time I was in London, I just used my debit card to scan in and out of all the tube stations, just like I use it (or my phone) to pay for buses around here.

Is it just the prices that we pay?

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

This will likely sound hideously ignorant, as I'm probably missing something obvious, but how useful are Oyster cards these days anyway? Last time I was in London, I just used my debit card to scan in and out of all the tube stations, just like I use it (or my phone) to pay for buses around here.

Is it just the prices that we pay?

Useful for getting loans etc from your workplace if you have one season ticket that covers all the transport in your city.

ETA: things like all day tickets etc will be easier to manage (and almost definitely cheaper) if all transport was held under the control of the local authority as well.

Edited by NotThePars