Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

The covid in care homes has to be revisited as theres clearly plenty of learning points for the future that need to be understood

Not to publicly review and learn from that would be a failure of leadership

Edited by BigDoddyKane

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Balls.  From UK gov website.. . "Lateral flow tests deliver a rapid result, in 30 minutes. They can find positive cases with high levels of virus that are easy to transmit to others, helping to intercept and reduce further infections.

Lateral flow tests used by the UK government go through a rigorous evaluation by the country’s leading scientists. This means they are accurate, reliable and successfully identify those with COVID-19 who don’t show symptoms and could spread the virus without realising.

Lateral flow tests are not being offered in isolation, but alongside a range of other measures to drive down cases and break chains of transmission."

The FDA disagrees, which is why they have told Americans to put the exact brand that the UK Government has spunked taxpayers' money on in the bin. I know which judgment I trust, given that the gormless British government has been left with countless millions of magic beans to get rid of. 

As far as I know nobody has suggested that lfts are foolproof but like everything else they form part of the arsenal.  

The FDA disagrees. 

As for us, yes, we are careful.  If everyone had been as strict as us about flowing the guidance/law, I suspect that the infection rates would be very much lower than they are.

They wouldn't be any lower for following your OCD testing regime though, given that the tests in question are utterly useless.

Politicians should answer for what they say and do.  The lack of adequate UK border controls and the ridiculous "eat out to help out" scheme, as examples, have cost us dearly, in both health and economics. 

There's no evidence that 'Eat out to Help out' played any substantial role in negative health outcomes and was an enormously beneficial scheme for the sectors involved. This is just you picking and choosing which parts of government guidance you think that people should follow. 

Also, if the lfts are as bad as you say, it's going to be a total shit show after the Wimbledon crowds go home as one of the entry requirements is a negative lft result within the previous 48 hours, and there is scarcely an empty seat or a mask to be seen.

Well no it won't, because the single biggest factor in limiting infection risk is that they're all outdoors. They're not crushed against each other, they're not obliged to wear a (useless) mask in any other outdoor setting. And there will be countless people with Covid at the event anyway as a result of all the false negatives churned out at random by your beloved LFTs, so that mitigation achieves literally nothing as the American authorities have already confirmed.

Edited by vikingTON

49 minutes ago, Elric said:

What’s that got to do with your earlier post?  The scattergun approach doesn’t work, that’s leaving aside the bias of that particular publication.

Trying to cut through all the shite and the pissing contest between Nats and unionists need to end. From the economy to public health, its serving no one well. 

Nicola for all her faults, has been by far, the more astute and professional through this crises. She IS a good politician. Even the English rate her above Boris. I think even Boris himself would admit, he's not cut out for it. 

All about doing the right thing and getting the balance right. It is people's lives we are dealing with here after all. 

Nicola will have little option but to follow England, as furlough ends as that cash is controlled by Westminster. This is where Nicola has her hands tied behind her back, because if she and experts, including those from down south are at odds with Westminster, there is f**k all she can do about it. 

In the end only time will tell who has taken the correct path. In the meantime, an end to the histrionics, the innuendo, contradictions and downright lies would be in order. We deserve nothing less. MSM and social media don't help. 

Doing the right thing should not be based on a political allegiance. 

24 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Nicola for all her faults, has been by far, the more astute and professional through this crises. She IS a good politician. Even the English rate her above Boris. I think even Boris himself would admit, he's not cut out for it.

Better than Boris Johnson. What colour of medal do you get for that tremendous achievement?

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The care home situation was hellish, and I'm pretty certain the government will be lambasted for it in the public inquiry.  However I can also remember the TV news scenes from Italian hospitals in the early days so no wonder they wanted the hospitals cleared.  To bring up the care home situation at the beginning of the pandemic to in some way excuse or give cover to folk acting like idiots a year later is pretty lame. I'm pretty sure that the return of patients to care homes wasn't the sole cause of the infection rates there. 

Like your care home analysis.  Individuals doing x, y and z are not the only reason that we are in this situation.  If we had decided earlier in the pandemic to test people then we would have a better understanding of transmittal and the extent to which we had people that may have natural Immunity.

The SG patting their backs for last year's lock down into summer and their "we care more than the Westminster government" stance will have far more to do with our current increases rather than Johnny inviting over ten mates to his house.

54 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Better than Boris Johnson. What colour of medal do you get for that tremendous achievement?

Well he is the PM of the UK, so I suppose you don't get the daft b*****d medal, reserved for Tory voters. 

42 minutes ago, strichener said:

Like your care home analysis.  Individuals doing x, y and z are not the only reason that we are in this situation.  If we had decided earlier in the pandemic to test people then we would have a better understanding of transmittal and the extent to which we had people that may have natural Immunity.

The SG patting their backs for last year's lock down into summer and their "we care more than the Westminster government" stance will have far more to do with our current increases rather than Johnny inviting over ten mates to his house.

No one is patting their backs. We had little to test them with in the beginning. 

If Boris had fully prepared the UK as he was warned, closed the borders and much more deaths by order of magnitude would have been miniscule by comparison. 

It was a shit show. No point in the pissing contest with 150k dead. 

1 hour ago, BlueBear said:

No one is patting their backs. We had little to test them with in the beginning. 

If Boris had fully prepared the UK as he was warned, closed the borders and much more deaths by order of magnitude would have been miniscule by comparison. 

It was a shit show. No point in the pissing contest with 150k dead. 

Nobody's actions today are responsible for the deaths of yesterday.  Come back to me when we start seeing deaths on the scale that we did last year.

7 hours ago, strichener said:

Nobody's actions today are responsible for the deaths of yesterday.  Come back to me when we start seeing deaths on the scale that we did last year.

What a load of rhetorical shite. 

The same tits making the decisions. The learning is not there. 

Now come back to me when government tell us the consequences of their decision. NO modelling and the plan going forward is......... We migh have more restrictions later, because????? 

Ah but.......... 

We'll hought through, right?! 

Now its welcome to hear of Freedom day after what the country has been through, but what s cost to human life, when it could have been so different if government had prepared and done the right thing.  The problem now is, we go back to a wing and a prayer and hope for the best. It's always fine when it's someone else who croaks and not your own. 

Yes we have to balance public health with the economy, but they elude to provide the argument in the decision making. 

It's simple, Boris capitulated owing to the pressure from those within his own party and Tory donors, otherwise the logic, the explanation and the consequences could have been made transparent. It may have also been thought through, but with consequences that great they couldn't be divulged and choose to live with the probable collateral damage. 

Why the rush to play fast and loose with the borders and foreign travel, which had been a feature of his throughout this shit show? The elephant in the room when it comes to spread and new variants? 

Boris is a weak as piss babbling balloon, who does not serve his populus well and a bigger danger to public health than the virus itself as it's proven.

Now lastly, he's shouting "Freedom" more than Nicola, but just where is that recovery plan for the five million plus backlog awaiting treatment? Who's speaking for those with undiagnosed or untreated cancer and the many other life threatening illness that have been neglected during his shit show, because it certainly ain't him. 

No fucking wonder the Nats and indy are so popular up here with that shower of corrupt incompetent c***s in Westminster in power. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Scottish Neoliberal Party up to their old tricks. 

H_B has his finger on the pulse of Scottish politics yet again!

Whilst Kerevan still believes in an independent Scotland, I'm not so sure that he represents the view of the party that he left in March.

Maybe he's rejoined as a distraction tactic or something...

He's kinda right though. MacPherson is a debt hawk (he had an article in Prospect earlier this year defending austerity, again).

If Labour appointed him then folk on here would be talking about the Red Tories. 

H_B has his finger on the pulse of Scottish politics yet again!
Whilst Kerevan still believes in an independent Scotland, I'm not so sure that he represents the view of the party that he left in March.
Maybe he's rejoined as a distraction tactic or something...
How many parties is Kerevan up to now?

I made it 6 at the last count.

Tasmina will need to change parties a couple of times to catch up.

Been struggling for the past 20 minutes to work out what the critiques of Detournement's post actually have to do with the substance of what he said. Ah well, I'm sure they're good faith criticisms from people willing to engage with the party they've fallen in line behind.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Been struggling for the past 20 minutes to work out what the critiques of Detournement's post actually have to do with the substance of what he said. Ah well, I'm sure they're good faith criticisms from people willing to engage with the party they've fallen in line behind.

I'm not an SNP member. It's an odd appointment for sure. But when Labour supporters come out with shite like that with their track record over the last 25 years, it's time to get a glazier to repair the fucking greenhouse.