Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

3 minutes ago, tirso said:

i think his statement was fair enough to be honest.  He had to say something.

think most fair minded folk would have expected Evans to resign or at least a major rebuke.  The fact she hasn't is pure politics in my opinion.  

he does say he didn't ask for Sturgeon to resign and folks should move on.  wonder if that will be reported..

Yes, agree.

At last the real target is being subjected to scrutiny.

Not a fan of Salmond, but, on this, I wish him well.

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

To suit his argument Monkey Tennis cut out the first significant part of my post, I had said that on the 18th of March, during all the VNOC'S and repeated calls for resignations, The Scotsman reported their poll which support for Indy Ref 2 was at 51% Yes and 49% No, another significance was that immediately after Nicola gave her evidence to the committee the SNP membership increased by many thousands.

From that it showed that the tory strategy had failed to make any inroads or dents on the SNP party.

In fact since Hamilton's report and the abysmal VNOC yesterday, when Labour and the Lib Dems deserted them, the tories have been made to look foolish and as Nicola pointed out today at FMQ's the grapevine is buzzing with talk of massive divisions within the Scottish tory parliamentary party.

It's possible for the SNP's support and the Tory support to go up at the same time. The Tories aren't trying to win votes from the SNP, they're trying to win votes from non-voters and the other unionist parties, and their objective is only to finish second. Over recent years their support has rocketed in working class areas because they are uniting the anti-independence vote.

To some extent a similar thing happened on the other side of the fence in NE Scotland in the 70s and 80s. The SNP unified the anti-Tory vote there and that's how they won their early seats. Now it's polarised further with the anti-SNP vote going to the Tories, and the other parties have been squeezed entirely in most of rural Scotland.

8 minutes ago, tirso said:

i think his statement was fair enough to be honest.  He had to say something.

think most fair minded folk would have expected Evans to resign or at least a major rebuke.  The fact she hasn't is pure politics in my opinion.  

he does say he didn't ask for Sturgeon to resign and folks should move on.  wonder if that will be reported..

No, I think he's a weapon's-grade arsehole for going after her. It's nothing more than an attempt to regain the narrative and cast himself as a victim rather than a sexpest. Yes, all the flaws were in SG and action should have been taken against those responsible, right up to the Director of HR. But the idea that the Perm Sec was involved in this to any greater extent than being briefed about it is pure ignorance. 

Just now, Anonapersona said:

OK then what are they going to do when they get out of bed?

Start a union unit?

Eh... smear Sturgeon into oblivion (in the event that she gets ideas above her station, y'unerstan...). Live by the smear, die by the smear...

Incidentally, in case you were getting confused, 'Murdo Fraser' and 'Ruth Davidson' and 'Alister Jack' are not the 'British establishment'.... they're just the monkeys they put up front to make you think politics is happening.

In the meantime, keep your eye on Liverpool.

18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

In fact since Hamilton's report and the abysmal VNOC yesterday, when Labour and the Lib Dems deserted them, the tories have been made to look foolish and as Nicola pointed out today at FMQ's the grapevine is buzzing with talk of massive divisions within the Scottish tory parliamentary party.

Yes, because they played it incredibly badly and lost humiliatingly.  

Your case yesterday, though, was that even if they'd been successful and brought about Sturgeon's downfall, it would have backfired for the Tories and not harmed the Nationalist cause.

I disagree with that.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Eh... smear Sturgeon into oblivion (in the event that she gets ideas above her station, y'unerstan...). Live by the smear, die by the smear...

Incidentally, in case you were getting confused, 'Murdo Fraser' and 'Ruth Davidson' and 'Alister Jack' are not the 'British establishment'.... they're just the monkeys they put up front to make you think politics is happening.

Why?

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's possible for the SNP's support and the Tory support to go up at the same time. The Tories aren't trying to win votes from the SNP, they're trying to win votes from non-voters and the other unionist parties, and their objective is only to finish second. Over recent years their support has rocketed in working class areas because they are uniting the anti-independence vote.

To some extent a similar thing happened on the other side of the fence in NE Scotland in the 70s and 80s. The SNP unified the anti-Tory vote there and that's how they won their early seats. Now it's polarised further with the anti-SNP vote going to the Tories, and the other parties have been squeezed entirely in most of rural Scotland.

Seriously have you got evidence of the tory vote rocketing in working class areas?

The most recent figures are for the 2017 and 2019 General Elections.

tory vote share in Scotland 2017 - 28.6%

tory vote share in Scotland 2019 - 25.1%

You're right they are rocketing - Downwards 

The tory party never ever wanted devolution, that's well documented, their main aim is to discredit the Scottish Devolved Government and close it down, they know they are a lost cause in Scotland

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The whole smear Sturgeon thing hasn't exactly worked so far.

BBC are reporting this as him taking legal action against the Scottish Government.

The way I interpret it is that it is action against individuals - Leslie Evans specifically.

As he already won the case against the Scottish Government I'm not sure on what grounds he could take a case against them again.

Anyone care to enlighten us?

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

This absolutely reeks of Q-Anon style nudges and winks. 

Announces 4% pay rise for Scottish nurses

Landslide incoming

It’s great seeing the meltdown from some folk(mainly with Union Flags in their profile) on Twitter about this.
Probably the same people who had been out banging pots and pans every Thursday night a year ago.