Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

If people love free money so much, the SNP should announce a Universal Basic Income scheme to begin in the beginning of the next parliament.  There might be some negative 'folk'll spend it on drink!" fear mongering from the papers and the Tories in the beginning, but once folk have the money in the hands they'll be loving it.

34 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

If people love free money so much, the SNP should announce a Universal Basic Income scheme to begin in the beginning of the next parliament.  There might be some negative 'folk'll spend it on drink!" fear mongering from the papers and the Tories in the beginning, but once folk have the money in the hands they'll be loving it.

To paraphrase Kevin Bridges of all people as long as people are actually spending it then we're jamming.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Hasn't it been mooted in some form for about 4 years now? Would've come in handy this last 12 months.

20 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Now the tories will take all the blame as they should as Nicola comes out of it smelling of Roses, but you have to ask what the tories really hoped to gain out of it, toppling Nicola, who they fear, was one motive I suppose, but did they honestly think that by bringing her down their vote share would dramatically increase in Scotland or are they unaware that other than in some pockets of rural areas and the Borders they are despised throughout Scotland for the grief their policies brought, and continues to bring to the Scottish general public.

What fools.  

It was solid election strategy from the Tories. They're not trying to win the election, they're trying to be the party that hates the SNP the most. There's a solid 25% of the electorate out there, especially as the old reactionaries all vote. It'll specifically help them in the SNP-Tory marginals, and even among more moderate unionists a lot will be prepared to hold their nose and vote to get the SNP out.

A very large slice of the electorate have a deep, unhinged hatred for the SNP and for Sturgeon personally and the Tories can unify that behind them.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Hasn't it been mooted in some form for about 4 years now? Would've come in handy this last 12 months.

Not sure.  I've always thought it was more a Green policy.  I do remember some talk of trying it out in the Highlands as a pilot scheme a while ago but never heard any more about it.

11 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Not sure.  I've always thought it was more a Green policy.  I do remember some talk of trying it out in the Highlands as a pilot scheme a while ago but never heard any more about it.

I seen the same thing about a pilot scheme in Glasgow. It's not really a policy exclusively contained to the left (I'm sure Elon Musk, Nixon and the book/ TV series The Expanse have all floated variations of it) so it won't be surprising if it does become adopted by both governments over the next few years.

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Good idea trialing it in the Highlands.

Will help the locals arm themselves for the immediate post-indyref insurrection against the Scottish state.

It was solid election strategy from the Tories. They're not trying to win the election, they're trying to be the party that hates the SNP the most. There's a solid 25% of the electorate out there, especially as the old reactionaries all vote. It'll specifically help them in the SNP-Tory marginals, and even among more moderate unionists a lot will be prepared to hold their nose and vote to get the SNP out.
A very large slice of the electorate have a deep, unhinged hatred for the SNP and for Sturgeon personally and the Tories can unify that behind them.
The Rangers

In that 'Failures of State' book about Britain's disastrous approach to Covid, Rishi Sunak is apparently identified as a huge culprit, possibly the biggest single one of the lot.

I think it's fair to say that his star burns much less brightly now, than it did at the time some Tories spoke of him in the glowing terms belatedly quoted here by Katy Balls.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

So you're only able to describe yourself as interested in the truth, or even pass any comment on the situation, if you believe alleged victims of sexual harassment should lose their anonymity?

This is quite a take.

I'll take it.

Where did I say that?

There are many aspects of the 'complete truth' we haven't yet seen, over and above the identities of complainers. Anybody wanting to comment on the situation while remaining happy that evidence is being suppressed should at least acknowledge that they're undermining their own position.

I've also said that 'the women' shouldn't be viewed as a homogeneous group: some got roped in and regretted it, two or three were driving it.

Do you believe that a complainer who committed perjury should retain the 'status' of 'alleged victim' after the allegation has been dismissed? Do you believe that anonymity should be abused in order to conceal an individual's role in a criminal conspiracy?

As you say, that is quite a take.

Glad to see you're willing to take the bet, though, albeit a couple of months after it was first offered (and you being one of the posters it was first offered to).

£40 it is. Case closed.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In that 'Failures of State' book about Britain's disastrous approach to Covid, Rishi Sunak is apparently identified as a huge culprit, possibly the biggest single one of the lot.

I think it's fair to say that his star burns much less brightly now, than it did at the time some Tories spoke of him in the glowing terms belatedly quoted here by Katy Balls.

I've seen multiple people and places point to Eat Out to Help Out being singularly disastrous for bringing about a second wave in a way that Black Lives Matter, fitba fans celebrating their teams winning trophies and streets doing conga lines for VE day resolutely did not.

At least the BBC didn't do multiple puff pieces for the man though.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

To suit his argument Monkey Tennis cut out the first significant part of my post, I had said that on the 18th of March, during all the VNOC'S and repeated calls for resignations, The Scotsman reported their poll which support for Indy Ref 2 was at 51% Yes and 49% No, another significance was that immediately after Nicola gave her evidence to the committee the SNP membership increased by many thousands.

From that it showed that the tory strategy had failed to make any inroads or dents on the SNP party.

In fact since Hamilton's report and the abysmal VNOC yesterday, when Labour and the Lib Dems deserted them, the tories have been made to look foolish and as Nicola pointed out today at FMQ's the grapevine is buzzing with talk of massive divisions within the Scottish tory parliamentary party.

21 hours ago, Anonapersona said:

The British establishment pretty much threw everything at this and failed spectacularly. With that said, who are these sleeping dogs that we apparently have to fear?

Delusional. Just wait till they've got a reason to get out of bed.

21 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The boy's a fucking nutter emoji23.png

Christophe's busy...

Spoiler

joy division ian curtis gif | WiffleGif

50 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

i think his statement was fair enough to be honest.  He had to say something.

think most fair minded folk would have expected Evans to resign or at least a major rebuke.  The fact she hasn't is pure politics in my opinion.  

he does say he didn't ask for Sturgeon to resign and folks should move on.  wonder if that will be reported..