Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Fantastically reasoned response.

Accurate & succinct, I wouold suggest.

Admitting to illegal behaviour that could potentially infect yourself or anyone you come in touch with is an absolute disgrace.

However, I'm pleased that I got you raging enough to  quote me twice in error.

6 minutes ago, Kejan said:

The Tories have really shot themselves in both feet with the VONC come the debates. 

Anytime the Sturgeon-Salmond committee is brought up, they'll have to stutter and stumble their way through saying they respect the QC etc but the FM wasn't truthful etc, then of course they'll have to minter their way through Patel, Johnson and all the lying they did. 

To be honest, I think the Tories' only consideration here is just making sure they continue to secure the votes of the sort of people who are anti-SNP, anti-independence and anti-Sturgeon above basically all else. It is deeply cynical and transparent, but pretty much all they will care about in May is finishing ahead of Labour in second place - and they probably will think this stunt helps them get a bit closer to that. 

Edited by DrewDon

Just now, DrewDon said:

To be honest, I think the Tories' only consideration here is just making sure they continue to secure the votes of the sort of people who are anti-SNP and anti-Sturgeon above basically all else. It is deeply cynical and transparent, but pretty much all they will care about in May is finishing ahead of Labour in second place - and they probably will think this stunt helps them get a bit closer to that. 

Attacking labour is what they are doing now 

18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

With the Labour and Lib Dems abstaining today a clear message has been sent to the tories that they are distancing themselves from the fiasco and indicating that, 'It wisnae us, it wis that  bully gang the tories that started it and forced us to go alang wi it'

Now the tories will take all the blame as they should as Nicola comes out of it smelling of Roses, but you have to ask what the tories really hoped to gain out of it, toppling Nicola, who they fear, was one motive I suppose, but did they honestly think that by bringing her down their vote share would dramatically increase in Scotland or are they unaware that other than in some pockets of rural areas and the Borders they are despised throughout Scotland for the grief their policies brought, and continues to bring to the Scottish general public.

What fools.  

If they succeeded then they'd have made a substantial dent in the independence vote, severely undermined public trust in the Scottish parliament and the SNP and probably put the issue to bed for a long while. It was a no-brainer for them to pursue it it's just unfortunate for them and a big laugh for everyone that they've pulled the pin on the grenade, launched it and found it's landed right next to them while their allies have dove for cover.

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Fair enough, you don't think she's lying to protect herself and people around her. I do.

And you think 'they' will stop gunning for her. Again, I just can't see any scenario in which the Brit establishment let this lie... unless of course she continues with the glacial gradualism... in which case, job done.

I think she absolutely did lie to protect herself.  If people thought she was involved in creating a policy to meet a complaint it would put her in a difficult position.

I believe she had more knowledge of it than she let on but you could also see it as them trying to do the right thing by a complainant.  Some would have you believe she got out her bed one day and masterminded a whole bunch of people to put complaints in.  In reality, I bet she wished noone had ever complained in the first place, espcially when there was no procedure to deal with it.  

I think Scotland is in for gradualism, a referendum at the next Holyrood election in 5 years is probably where most Scots would happily wait until.  I might not like it but I think they're aiming for the clear and obvious desire appearing over the next few years rather than a slim majority with a weaker mandate.  

3 minutes ago, tirso said:

I think she absolutely did lie to protect herself.  If people thought she was involved in creating a policy to meet a complaint it would put her in a difficult position.

I believe she had more knowledge of it than she let on but you could also see it as them trying to do the right thing by a complainant.  Some would have you believe she got out her bed one day and masterminded a whole bunch of people to put complaints in.  In reality, I bet she wished noone had ever complained in the first place, espcially when there was no procedure to deal with it.  

I think Scotland is in for gradualism, a referendum at the next Holyrood election in 5 years is probably where most Scots would happily wait until.  I might not like it but I think they're aiming for the clear and obvious desire appearing over the next few years rather than a slim majority with a weaker mandate.  

Of course she wishes no one had ever complained. Of course she didn't wake up one day and think 'Get Salmond'. But she lost control of a process and the full detail of how that happened hasn't yet come to light. She will/would be fatally damaged when/if it does.

Do you really think we'll get through the next five years without somebody waking up the sleeping dogs?

14 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Of course she wishes no one had ever complained. Of course she didn't wake up one day and think 'Get Salmond'. But she lost control of a process and the full detail of how that happened hasn't yet come to light. She will/would be fatally damaged when/if it does.

Do you really think we'll get through the next five years without somebody waking up the sleeping dogs?

The British establishment pretty much threw everything at this and failed spectacularly. With that said, who are these sleeping dogs that we apparently have to fear?

I think she's been lucky with the Hamilton report only based on everything we've had in public.  But there's been over-thinkers trying to claim there was a conspiracy to put Salmond in jail out of nowhere.  There was never any evidence of this and the legitimate grievances of Salmond, Counsel and Complainers started to be mixed in with these mad claims.  As someone who actually does not believe for a minute she's told the truth as to when she knew, I'm actually glad the report absolves her.  if it had been equivocal, many would be using it to falsely prove the daft conspiracy theories.  It looks like a total cocck up and she's successfully rode it out.  You can see why they got into a fankle over these accusations, you can see how they've acted terribly during judicial review but that was only one part of the whole affair.  The second part included police and crown prosecution.  
It's time to rally round her and it's time her supporters put the olive branch out.  I think few people genuinely believed Hamilton would exonerate as he has done.  It's taken him long enough so it obviously required careful consideration.  Everyone should respect it and move on.  Can see her coming out strongly now.  

I've consistently said here that the big mistake the Tories made was going after Sturgeon.

Evans is really the one they should have focused on.

25 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If they succeeded then they'd have made a substantial dent in the independence vote, severely undermined public trust in the Scottish parliament and the SNP and probably put the issue to bed for a long while. It was a no-brainer for them to pursue it it's just unfortunate for them and a big laugh for everyone that they've pulled the pin on the grenade, launched it and found it's landed right next to them while their allies have dove for cover.

I disagree, a Scotsman poll on the 18th of March in the midst of all the calls for resignation and VNOC's being bandied about showed the YES vote at 51% and NO at 46%.

Another fact is that the SNP membership swelled by some thousands after Nicola gave her evidence to the committee.

If Nicola had resigned then I'm sure that the reaction throughout the country would be the opposite to what the tories imagined, a Scottish First Minister being hounded out of her job by a westminster based tory political party, there would have been an outcry which the SNP would have exploited to the max.

Any suggestion that the tories ousting Nicola would severely weaken the SNP is pie in the sky, the cause for Independence within Scotland is strong after Brexit, and if voters see the SNP as a vehicle towards that goal then so be it, the Ship is Mightier than the Crew and the SNP Ship is still on passage throughout this fiasco.

46 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Accurate & succinct, I wouold suggest.

Admitting to illegal behaviour that could potentially infect yourself or anyone you come in touch with is an absolute disgrace.

However, I'm pleased that I got you raging enough to  quote me twice in error.

What more protection can I have both for myself or others can there be other than being vaccinated which I have been.

What is ever going to be more secure than that?

I don’t see anything else in the pipe line.

I disagree, a Scotsman poll on the 18th of March in the midst of all the calls for resignation and VNOC's being bandied about showed the YES vote at 51% and NO at 46%.
Another fact is that the SNP membership swelled by some thousands after Nicola gave her evidence to the committee.
If Nicola had resigned then I'm sure that the reaction throughout the country would be the opposite to what the tories imagined, a Scottish First Minister being hounded out of her job by a westminster based tory political party, there would have been an outcry which the SNP would have exploited to the max.
Any suggestion that the tories ousting Nicola would severely weaken the SNP is pie in the sky, the cause for Independence within Scotland is strong after Brexit, and if voters see the SNP as a vehicle towards that goal then so be it, the Ship is Mightier than the Crew and the SNP Ship is still on passage throughout this fiasco.
The one thing the Tories will have not included in their calculations is the popularity of Sturgeon - I've heard a lot of people, especially women, who are seriously fucked off with the Tories - they see this for the unsubtle attack that it was.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What more protection can I have both for myself or others can there be other than being vaccinated which I have been.

What is ever going to be more secure than that?

I don’t see anything else in the pipe line.

Settle down and watch the match. Lichties to win by 2.

1 hour ago, Kejan said:

The Tories have really shot themselves in both feet with the VONC come the debates. 

Anytime the Sturgeon-Salmond committee is brought up, they'll have to stutter and stumble their way through saying they respect the QC etc but the FM wasn't truthful etc, then of course they'll have to minter their way through Patel, Johnson and all the lying they did. 

Hoo, they're doing debates again this time?

With the correct amount of prodding from all sides, Douglas Ross may well be the first man ever to spontaneously combust on live TV.

The performance by Nicola Sturgeon today's going to give a majority SNP government, isn't it? Add on the rise in support for the Greens after Patrick Harvie's incredible piece and a huge Indy presence is almost certain. The faces of some Lab and Tories looked like they knew the Union just died.