Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No I don't think it is appropriate to name people who complain about sexual misconduct in their workplace.

I think people should respect the court orders that are in place.

So you're happy with a less than 'complete truth'?

That's fine. But you give up any right to comment on 'what happened'.

With the Labour and Lib Dems abstaining today a clear message has been sent to the tories that they are distancing themselves from the fiasco and indicating that, 'It wisnae us, it wis that  bully gang the tories that started it and forced us to go alang wi it'

Now the tories will take all the blame as they should as Nicola comes out of it smelling of Roses, but you have to ask what the tories really hoped to gain out of it, toppling Nicola, who they fear, was one motive I suppose, but did they honestly think that by bringing her down their vote share would dramatically increase in Scotland or are they unaware that other than in some pockets of rural areas and the Borders they are despised throughout Scotland for the grief their policies brought, and continues to bring to the Scottish general public.

What fools.  

56 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The way both reports have been received is evidence of how badly some people on here have lost their bearings.

The content of Hamilton, as I said yesterday, more or less says 'I won't be the person pulling the trigger. Thanks for the fee, now f**k off'. But the fact that people are punching the air in response to a report that is, again, so heavily redacted is just weird. Imagine this was Blair or Johnson; you'd be doing your nuts and taking it as straightforward proof that there's something up. Then look at his covering letter: he's telling you that even he, a supposedly independent investigator, still can't tell the whole story. It's as close as he can get to disowning the thing and thereby protecting his own reputation if things take a nasty turn in future.

(And I'll ignore the bit where he says it's 'not impossible' that Sturgeon forgot about 29 March, so I'll just conclude that she did forget; as above, 'I'm no pulling the trigger'.)

Then, after blindly celebrating a predictable whitewash, people buy straight in to Sturgeon's desperate attempt to undermine the committee report (remember when she was 'relishing' giving evidence and 'fully trusted' the process?). By any measure, the report is incredibly damning of govt and civil service process and decision-making. If it was my place of work, there would have been at least two 'terminations' and maybe a couple of 'final written warnings'. Even if you leave the possibility of an underlying criminal conspiracy to one side, it's a total clusterfuck... and the evidence that the SG dropped the original complainants once they had served their purpose just confirms the utter hypocrisy of shielding what went on behind 'the women'.

But still, as I said after her evidence, she's still not to blame... and nobody else is.

Heard that James Wolffe is trying to have Scotland renamed 'Stockholm' so that people suffering from the well-known syndrome by that name feel better... 

I'll give Sturgeon one thing: setting up not one, but two inquiries was a bit of a master-stroke. The wee game of pass-the-parcel at the end of both is kinda beautiful. Tony would be rightly proud.

But it will just buy her some more time. What happened, happened. No politician can function for long with that (and other stuff!) hanging round their necks.

Scottish politics is fucked.

The union will die in your lifetime.

Accept it.

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

So you're happy with a less than 'complete truth'?

That's fine. But you give up any right to comment on 'what happened'.

Well along with Patrick Harvie I'm not happy with the amount of pathetic leaks to the media that came out of that committee over the last year.

But I couldn't give a fuckin monkey's as they have brought doubt and shame on their political futures and at the end of the day victory in all of this was ours and now we are gearing up for the election.

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That's a perfectly reasonable line to take, because the call on what is better for the independence movement is a purely political one.

What I don't get is your acknowledgement that she lied (she did), but then you move immediately to 'daft conspiracy theories'. Why did she lie? Why did they work so hard (and continue) to supress evidence? If Sturgeon isn't guilty, who is?

As for her supporters putting the olive branch out... I'll believe it when I see it.

There's a difference between lying about when she knew and the leaps people have taken around "getting" Salmond which they have tried to smear her with.

They were trying to take her down on the former while smearing her with innuendo of the latter.

This has largely been about the initial investigation, the first phase if you like.  I can completely understand, though I don't agree with the approach taken at all, how Civil servants and Government ended up getting into a mess over allegations against a former FM that wasn't covered by the current codes of conduct.  I believe Sturgeon knew this earlier than she let on and probably did know about the policy creation.  That doesn't mean she was out to get him.  She may have felt they would be damned if they did nothing.  I see that as a cock up trying to do the right thing.  I'm reading between the lines here.  I do think less of Sturgeon for not being entirely truthful but I understand why she hasn't been.

The second phase involved the police and the crown separate and after the JR failing.  There's been no evidence put forward the police have made up the outcome of their separate investigations uncovering MORE complainants.  For example, the text message..i paraphrase "she's so sickened by the Judicial review outcome, she's now up for the fight"  was not the zinger Salmond's camp seemed to think it was. It merely confirmed to me, a real, hesitant women with a complaint existed.

I also think Salmond has been smeared continuously but that doesn't mean I think Sturgeon should have carried the can on this.  The partisans were gunning for the wrong person.

Edited by tirso

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Full disclosure.

But the British establishment wouldn't stoop so low as to facilitate that at a time that best suits them, would they? Y'know, in the unlikely event that Sturgeon survives and gets anywhere near the starting line for another referendum?

As that old Texas workmate of mine once said,' I don't give a feck I've got music in ma truck and I'm off to the rodeo'.

The Tories have really shot themselves in both feet with the VONC come the debates. 

Anytime the Sturgeon-Salmond committee is brought up, they'll have to stutter and stumble their way through saying they respect the QC etc but the FM wasn't truthful etc, then of course they'll have to minter their way through Patel, Johnson and all the lying they did. 

2 minutes ago, tirso said:

There's a difference between lying about when she knew and the leaps people have taken around "getting" Salmond which they have tried to smear her with.

They were trying to take her down on the former while smearing her with innuendo of the latter.

This has largely been about the initial investigation, the first phase if you like.  I can completely understand, though I don't agree with the approach taken at all, how Civil servants and Government ended up getting into a mess over allegations against a former FM that wasn't covered by the current codes of conduct.  I believe Sturgeon knew this earlier than she let on and probably did know about the policy creation.  That doesn't mean she was out to get him.  She may have felt they would be damned if they did nothing.  I see that as a cock up trying to do the right thing.  I'm reading between the lines here.  I do think less of Sturgeon for not being entirely truthful but I understand why she hasn't been.

The second phase involved the police and the crown separate and after the JR failing.  There's been no evidence put forward the police have made up the outcome of their separate investigations uncovering MORE complainants.

I also think Salmond has been smeared continuously but that doesn't mean I think Sturgeon should have carried the can on this.  The partisans were gunning for the wrong person.

Fair enough, you don't think she's lying to protect herself and people around her. I do.

And you think 'they' will stop gunning for her. Again, I just can't see any scenario in which the Brit establishment let this lie... unless of course she continues with the glacial gradualism... in which case, job done.