Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Even funnier tonight on Newsnight that Sarwar fully accepted the report's findings.

Interesting to note that he attacked Ross first tonight - his attack on the SNP was like an afterthought.

Until Nicholson spoiled it, it started to sound like Sarwar was edging towards a truly radical new position and it could well be that they abstain tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, sophia said:

Until Nicholson spoiled it, it started to sound like Sarwar was edging towards a truly radical new position and it could well be that they abstain tomorrow.

If they have sense they will.

Nicholson did not help by reacting to Sarwar's afterthought jibe at the SNP - he could and should have been the bigger man.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Would it not have made a bit more sense to make calm "very serious if true" noises and wait to see how the wind blew? The average punter with little idea about what this was about must be thinking they seem unhinged.

Mental how there's genuinely and literally more political acumen on this thread than in the leadership of political parties in Scotland.

Anyone with any sense would have realised that, if she were cleared by the independent inquiry, they would look like partisan hacks if they stuck the boot in. There's a reason why you often hear top politicians talk for a minute and say nothing, because they're required to speak into cameras but not tie themselves either way until events unfold. Pre-judging the evidence, calling a VoNC in John Swinney for no reason other than they knew they couldn't get Sturgeon at that point, calling a VoNC before the committee report is published, briefing tame journalists and leaking extracts of the report - all of it is signs of them being sh*t at their jobs.

I can understand the Tories going that way to an extent because their whole strategy is to go after the Trumpy vote, but Labour can't afford this. And Alex Cole-Hamilton lacks the brainpower God gave to pickled onions. 

The Tories are basically going for the bitter Yoon vote, and with that in mind, going down the road they're going down probably isn't the most stupid. Most won't change their minds when it comes to the Tories, and I think Ross knows that. So the idea is to motivate potential voters who don't usually vote to get up and support them at the ballot box. It probably won't work, but it's probably their only chance of making any real sort of dent up here.

They'll also be aiming for the more hardcore Yoon voters for Labour as well, and since it looks like Labour won't be backing the Tories, THAT might actually work.

8 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Thoughts are with The Ghost of B A R P at this difficult time.

That's very nice of you; much appreciated.

First thing to say, despite my views on Sturgeon, is that I very much enjoyed Sarah Smith's miserable face on telly tonight (not enough to make me any less worried about the immediate future of Scottish politics, tho, unfortunately...).

Interested, but not surprised, to see wild celebrations in the Ricky Hatton Sturgeon camp as she finally manages to land a blow towards the end of Round Four. Haven't had time to read the full Hamilton report yet, but a. I never expected any more than 'technical breach' from him (unlike some of your very favourite bloggers); b. it looks on the face of it like one of those HR/disciplinary reports where the IO sets out to say no more than they absolutely have to (so there are places where you can see how he's tied himself in knots to achieve that).

(Should say also that suggestions he's been 'bought' or is a clown are way off the mark; I've no doubt he knows exactly what he's doing).

In Round Five tomorrow, I expect to see more punches thrown by both fighters. Try not to get too carried away.

All this boxing talk has got me thinking about what fight it will turn out to be (feel free to join in):*

Ali-Frazier III, where both fighters get somewhere close to death, before one of them can't get up off the stool?

Leonard-Duran II, where Duran tries to convince himself for eight rounds he'll catch the wee c**t, then famously gives it 'no mas'?

Or, as above, Mayweather-Hatton, where the loud and pissed up travelling fans who know f**k all about what they're watching cheer every punch their man throws, until he mysteriously ends up unconscious on the floor?

Spoiler

Not you DOTL...

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Who was yon poster who was taking £50 bets that Sturgeon would have resigned by May or some equally unhinged pish? Some laugh

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, Stormzy said:
The Ghost guy made bets more recently about Sturgeon going, think the Kinky ones were older. 

Yup, he made a charity bet with me, will need to find it. He'll clearly lose but I'm sure he'll pay up.

I'm a sporting man. A wee bit less confident that the time-line is right (by midnight on 31st May), but still confident that the full story will come out. So it would be churlish to prevent some of you happy, confident experts from making some easy money for a favourite charity, right?

I'm already in for £110 (John Lambie, ParsForLife, Welshbairn), so there's maybe £40 more room on the broom and I'll draw the line at that; first come, first served.

As the Lambie's Doos man says, I'll definitely pay up if I lose; and you'll feel all virtuous when I tell you what my nominated charity is.

Is John Smith's daughter really a Tory?  I'd be surprised to be honest.

Anyway, this verdict is clearly good news.  It exposes the Tory stance on this as the utterly opportunistic behaviour of chancers. 

Can there honestly be a soul in the country who now believes them when they claim concern for the women let down by the SNP's handling of their complaints?  Nothing has been further from their thoughts in all of this, than the welfare of these women.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That's very nice of you; much appreciated.

First thing to say, despite my views on Sturgeon, is that I very much enjoyed Sarah Smith's miserable face on telly tonight (not enough to make me any less worried about the immediate future of Scottish politics, tho, unfortunately...).

Interested, but not surprised, to see wild celebrations in the Ricky Hatton Sturgeon camp as she finally manages to land a blow towards the end of Round Four. Haven't had time to read the full Hamilton report yet, but a. I never expected any more than 'technical breach' from him (unlike some of your very favourite bloggers); b. it looks on the face of it like one of those HR/disciplinary reports where the IO sets out to say no more than they absolutely have to (so there are places where you can see how he's tied himself in knots to achieve that).

(Should say also that suggestions he's been 'bought' or is a clown are way off the mark; I've no doubt he knows exactly what he's doing).

In Round Five tomorrow, I expect to see more punches thrown by both fighters. Try not to get too carried away.

All this boxing talk has got me thinking about what fight it will turn out to be (feel free to join in):*

Ali-Frazier III, where both fighters get somewhere close to death, before one of them can't get up off the stool?

Leonard-Duran II, where Duran tries to convince himself for eight rounds he'll catch the wee c**t, then famously gives it 'no mas'?

Or, as above, Mayweather-Hatton, where the loud and pissed up travelling fans who know f**k all about what they're watching cheer every punch their man throws, until he mysteriously ends up unconscious on the floor?

Reveal hidden contents

Not you DOTL...

I'm a sporting man. A wee bit less confident that the time-line is right (by midnight on 31st May), but still confident that the full story will come out. So it would be churlish to prevent some of you happy, confident experts from making some easy money for a favourite charity, right?

I'm already in for £110 (John Lambie, ParsForLife, Welshbairn), so there's maybe £40 more room on the broom and I'll draw the line at that; first come, first served.

As the Lambie's Doos man says, I'll definitely pay up if I lose; and you'll feel all virtuous when I tell you what my nominated charity is.

Surely the obvious boxing analogy would be the 'Rumble In The Jungle' where Ali let Foreman blow himself out before painfully diverting his future career into domestic appliances,  'Rope-A-Dope' was the catchphrase and you can take your pick in the latter from the lightweight Ross, heavyweight Davidson and super-heavyweight Baillie.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Surely the obvious boxing analogy would be the 'Rumble In The Jungle' where Ali let Foreman blow himself out before painfully diverting his future career into domestic appliances,  'Rope-A-Dope' was the catchphrase and you can take your pick in the latter from the lightweight Ross, heavyweight Davidson and super-heavyweight Baillie.

The only fighter in the jungle analogy appropriate in this circumstance is Hiroo Onoda.

It's all over. 

Even Jackie Baillie can't bring herself to automatically support the Tory vote.

If we are going with tortured boxing analogies: Salmond = Tyson

Seemingly unstoppable at the top before throwing it all away. Behaved very inappropriately towards women. Desperately trying to stay in the limelight and still inexplicably popular with yer da.