Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

18 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

It's as if someone with only a basic grasp of English and grammar  was asked to write something for her to read out and slipped it onto her desk at the last second.

I almost felt sorry for her by the end of that.

Don’t.

Despite it being an 'open secret', Mitchell confirmed there a big part of what this farce was actually about.

It's not a farce that the First Minister, or anyone else in parliament, face an enquiry, but the way this has been handled shows it to be an utter farce with an achingly obvious goal, and it looks like they've totally blown it when they might actually have had a chance to do some of the damage they were hoping to.

They thought they were rolling the big guns on to the lawn, but when fired all that happened was that a wee flag saying 'Minter' popped out.

I note some folk have mentioned that Salmond is seemingly going to submit 'further evidence'.

Why would this be allowed, and why could it possibly be considered admissible? Surely all evidence should have been submitted at the first time of asking and only new evidence that was not available and/or had not come to light at the time the rest was submitted would be valid, otherwise the process is very transparently utter nonsense and completely without merit and validity.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Having lived in Inverness a year now, my outsider view agrees with@TheScarf that it doesn't seem too surprising.

I say that with three pals who went to the IRA who detest the Tories with every fibre of their being.

Millburners are just better - whether it's in terms of politics or just as people.  Murdo Fraser has that weird gobbly IRA voice too.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I note some folk have mentioned that Salmond is seemingly going to submit 'further evidence'.

Why would this be allowed, and why could it possibly be considered admissible? Surely all evidence should have been submitted at the first time of asking and only new evidence that was not available and/or had not come to light at the time the rest was submitted would be valid, otherwise the process is very transparently utter nonsense and completely without merit and validity.

Struggling to understand this my self.

One person provides evidence to a committee.

Another person answers 'questions' based on that evidence.

First person comes back and says "actually this is the evidence."

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Struggling to understand this my self.

One person provides evidence to a committee.

Another person answers 'questions' based on that evidence.

First person comes back and says "actually this is the evidence."

Has Salmond sent in "evidence" which he knows fine well cannot now be considered so he can cry CONSPIRACY when it's ruled inadmissable? 

Whatever the explanation, it's all rather sad to see Eck reduced to this desperate nonsense. 

Yeah, it's hard not to think that Eck's withheld stuff in the hope that the First Minister would say something that contradicts whatever he thinks he's got, so he can slap it down and finish her off for lying to the committee.

My opinion's worth nothing, but there was a tinge of honesty to her evidence that the investigation into Salmond was painful for her. Unless we're to believe she's a psychopath, how could it not be. If the above really is Eck's plan, then this is another aspect of his personality that I could quite happily have done without seeing.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, it's hard not to think that Eck's withheld stuff in the hope that the First Minister would say something that contradicts whatever he thinks he's got, so he can slap it down and finish her off for lying to the committee.

My opinion's worth nothing, but there was a tinge of honesty to her evidence that the investigation into Salmond was painful for her. Unless we're to believe she's a psychopath, how could it not be. If the above really is Eck's plan, then this is another aspect of his personality that I could quite happily have done without seeing.

Agreed. At some point soon he's going to need a hand on the shoulder and "enjoy your night pal". 

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Agree it seems like if their is any conspiracy going on it is from him.

If he has presented minutes from old meetings and another witness statement he must have surely had this evidence last week so why not present it then when he was there unless rying to set a devious trap. If that is case i can see him going down even further in most Scots estimations and he really will look bad.

Also surely the committee cannot consider new evidence without giving the FM some time to form a reply and submit further evidence herself to answer any new allegations.

To be honest even if James Hamilton finds she may have inadvertently breached the Ministerial code i cannot see her needing to resign. I think the Scottish public after seeing the ordeal she has gone through would except a formal aplogy for any unintentional breach. I also think that she would get a lot of sympathy from public who really seem on her side today as it looks as though she has been victim of a witch hunt.

She would only have to really have to go if the report found she had deliberately breached code and then set out to cover it up.

I think Salmond would be well advised to consider his next moves; from looking like someone who has been very poorly served by the Scottish Government system and individuals within it he could easily begin to appear as someone seeking not justice but cold vengeance.