Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

21 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

I agree with a lot you have said. I honestly believe regardless of whether she goes or stays it might not have the massive impact Unionists think it will.

I have spoken with quite a few friends and family over last few days and while some of them are really unhappy about the whole AS affair and the mess the Scottish Govt made of court case, to a single man/woman they are all still voting SNP in May, as will I. Partly because i look at the other parties and don't see that their conduct has been any better over recent years and indeed in case of Scottish Tories we have the hypocrisy of Baroness Ruth/Douglas Ross who are happy to turn a blind eye to all the corruption of UK Govt/PM over last few years. Now remember if Scots Tories get in they would ensure we were tied much closer to that UK Govt.

Secondly and more importantly just as Brexit was the most important factor by a mile at last G.E (They even called it the Brexit election) then in this election Independence is still a major factor for a lot of voters. Just as Brexit voters didn't deviate from their goal no matter what corruption or scandal surrounded the Tories, i think it is similar in Scotland right now.

As for whether she goes that will not be down to Scots Tories/opposition but her own party. They will be looking to see the damage and weigh up if it is better for her to go or not. They might decide  that going into an election leaderless is more damaging than fighting on with her, even if she is tarnished.

The one thing that might happen if her position becomes untenable is for her to confirm that she will stand down as leader of SNP after May's elections no matter what the result. She could put forward a legitimate argument that she does not want to leave Scotland leaderless for over a month while Covid crisis is still ongoing. I think that a lot of Scottish public might consider that reasonable and some might even give her credit for staying on and fighting Pandemic even although she knows she will no longer be FM in a short time.

It might  play well with voters and actually gain her some sympathy. I am sure that some SNP members are considering this.

And lets not forget the number of lies that were told over Brexit, or the number of resignations that resulted from them.

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Oh my, the people who don't like Sturgeon demanding her to step down after only hearing the side of the argument they want to hear?

Colour me shocked.

It's getting to the stage where it would be more convenient for the people who don't like her if Sturgeon stays in post.

The absolute hypocrisy from Douglas Ross and his pals about Sturgeon having to resign as she lied to parliament is staggering. Given his own parties mess over the last year it's interesting that they seems to have found their moral high horses just at the right time (for them!). Their moves are nothing more than political grandstanding to try and get rid of who they see as the biggest threat to the union - i'd be stunned if this didn't come from anywhere other than Tory HQ.

From the brief bits i've seen and read so far it looks pretty bad for the Scottish Government but as has been said by folks it seems incredible to be calling for votes of no-confidence and demanding resignations before Sturgeon has spoken and the full picture is known. I find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that someone with a legal background and in a position such as NS would get herself into a position where she would be 'lying' to parliament over something such as this - it's not exactly secret weapons deals. It's all going to come down to what she knew, when and what she did with that info - unless she was told directly 'this is going to fail' on a date other than she claims then there's not really much of a case for her to answer. She may well have been 'shielding' information but could flag that as not wanting to prejudice a case etc. Proceeding with a case you believe to be true even if it has a chance of failure happens all the time - especially if you feel it needs to be used as an example of taking claims seriously (to be clear, i'm not claiming this happened here but i think we might find out today). Think this has a long way to go and she seems rather bullish for someone who's on her way out.

I'm not a huge SNP fan, have voted occasionally but not every time and i'm not a huge NS fan either but this seems nothing more than an absolute witch hunt at a convenient time, if there was no May election i don't think we'd be hearing from even half of these MSPs about this

Douglas Ross calling for Nicola Sturgeon's resignation prior to her appearing before the committee is political nonsense.

Twice this morning on GMS he was asked for his thoughts on Matt Hancock and Priti Patel breaking the ministerial code and he refused to answer.

Truth is the Scots tories are shit scared of facing the most formidable uk political opponent Nicola at the ballot box in May and are hell bent in bringing her down before then.

It could be costly for them and see them back in 3rd place behind Labour.

I have spoken to many SNP members like myself over the last week and everyone is solidly behind Nicola and view this whole character assassination as the usual hypocrisy from the tories, Nicola has massive support in the membership and within the country, we now have women who previously shunned her saying they will vote SNP given the stance she has made against female sexual harassment.

1 hour ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

The absolute hypocrisy from Douglas Ross and his pals about Sturgeon having to resign as she lied to parliament is staggering. Given his own parties mess over the last year it's interesting that they seems to have found their moral high horses just at the right time (for them!). Their moves are nothing more than political grandstanding to try and get rid of who they see as the biggest threat to the union - i'd be stunned if this didn't come from anywhere other than Tory HQ.

From the brief bits i've seen and read so far it looks pretty bad for the Scottish Government but as has been said by folks it seems incredible to be calling for votes of no-confidence and demanding resignations before Sturgeon has spoken and the full picture is known. I find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that someone with a legal background and in a position such as NS would get herself into a position where she would be 'lying' to parliament over something such as this - it's not exactly secret weapons deals. It's all going to come down to what she knew, when and what she did with that info - unless she was told directly 'this is going to fail' on a date other than she claims then there's not really much of a case for her to answer. She may well have been 'shielding' information but could flag that as not wanting to prejudice a case etc. Proceeding with a case you believe to be true even if it has a chance of failure happens all the time - especially if you feel it needs to be used as an example of taking claims seriously (to be clear, i'm not claiming this happened here but i think we might find out today). Think this has a long way to go and she seems rather bullish for someone who's on her way out.

I'm not a huge SNP fan, have voted occasionally but not every time and i'm not a huge NS fan either but this seems nothing more than an absolute witch hunt at a convenient time, if there was no May election i don't think we'd be hearing from even half of these MSPs about this

Politics. Bloody hell.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

I have spoken to many SNP members like myself over the last week and everyone is solidly behind Nicola and view this whole character assassination as the usual hypocrisy from the tories, Nicola has massive support in the membership and within the country, we now have women who previously shunned her saying they will vote SNP given the stance she has made against female sexual harassment.
If she is found to have lied to Parliament or broken the ministerial code should the fact she is well respected and hugely popular with fantastic approval ratings save her ??

I see Rachel Hamilton a Borders MSP has been attacking NS on social media.

What a fuckin cheek, lets look at her tory self interests in the Scottish Parliament;

She stood up and asked for lower Business Rates, meanwhile conveniently failing to declare she was a Business owner with a 49% stake in a Borders hotel.

On another occasion she had the fuckin audacity to ask why couldn't business owners set the Minimum Wage instead of the Government. 

Her and her co Business owner were then fined £70,000 for breaching their employees pension rights.

Same old selfish tories.

1 minute ago, kevthedee said:

If she is found to have lied to Parliament or broken the ministerial code should the fact she is well respected and hugely popular with fantastic approval ratings save her ??

She will not resign in line with Matt Hancock and Priti Patel  who have also broken the ministerial code, and I'll throw in Boris Johnson with the headline in the tory rag The Evening Express; "Boris Johnson Guilty of Gross Breach of Ministerial Code" that was for breaking International Law over Brexit.

So maybe Nicola will consider resignation once the other three resign.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

She will not resign in line with Matt Hancock and Priti Patel  who have also broken the ministerial code, and I'll throw in Boris Johnson with the headline in the tory rag The Evening Express; "Boris Johnson Guilty of Gross Breach of Ministerial Code" that was for breaking International Law over Brexit.

So maybe Nicola will consider resignation once the other three resign.

Tories are bad so the SNP can do as they please type post 

1 hour ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

From the brief bits i've seen and read so far it looks pretty bad for the Scottish Government but as has been said by folks it seems incredible to be calling for votes of no-confidence and demanding resignations before Sturgeon has spoken and the full picture is known. I find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that someone with a legal background and in a position such as NS would get herself into a position where she would be 'lying' to parliament over something such as this

Yeah, this is it. It's clear now that there was gross incompetence on the part of Scottish Government; it's not remotely clear that this means Sturgeon lied to Parliament, or even that the incompetence as laid out by the legal advice was directly Sturgeon's fault as opposed to senior civil servants. Of course there's a valid point that as First Minister incompetence in government is ultimately her responsibility and she should therefore be held accountable for it, but I'm still not seeing a resignation issue here.

Unless a smoking gun emerges which shows that she deliberately misled parliament and therefore did break the ministerial code - as opposed to genuinely making an error in mislesding parliament which deploying Occam's Razor is by far the most likely explanation, as absolutely nothing was to be gained by giving the wrong date - or she had an active role in making the investigation unlawful by installing an Investigating Officer who'd had prior contact with complainants rather than senior civil servants doing that, then I don't see what's making her position untenable as opposed to embarrassing.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Unless a smoking gun emerges which shows that she deliberately misled parliament and therefore did break the ministerial code - as opposed to genuinely making an error in mislesding parliament which deploying Occam's Razor is by far the most likely explanation, as absolutely nothing was to be gained by giving the wrong date - or she had an active role in making the investigation unlawful by installing an Investigating Officer who'd had prior contact with complainants rather than senior civil servants doing that, then I don't see what's making her position untenable as opposed to embarrassing.

I'm not sure that the Tories and their lapdogs in the right-wing press care all that much if she resigns or not.

They're poisoning the well, and throwing so much mud, that even if he survives her position in the medium to long term may be untenable anyway. 

The May elections will determine Sturgeon's future as much as this enquiry I suspect.