Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Beyond the bluster and James Cook's shock jock stunt with Humza Yousef on tonight's The Nine, I'm failing to see what would justify a call for The First Minister if Scotland to resign. It seems to me that the call from the Douglas, who is bold enough to demand but too timid to stand in a constituency, is the latest in a long line of tedious calls for cabinet resignations from opposition MSPs.

It's telling that even Jackie Baillie is being circumspect.

Andrew Tickell isn't saying an awful lot but his observations are as welcome as they are illuminating.

59 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Fact is that 99% of the media in the UK is owned by tory and unionist proprietors.

And with those guns aimed at them the SNP are and will be under siege with untruths, distortions of facts and character assassinations until the May elections.

However this type of sniping has gone on for years and we are used to it and it seems to make us stronger and attractive to possible new members as witnessed by our outstanding membership growth to 125,000 and the 3rd largest uk party.

So whatever mud is slung at the SNP it never seems to stick and the constant media harassment has made us the underdogs in uk politics which seems to be a positive with the Scottish people.

No doubt a unionist will now come on with a story of how thousands are now leaving the SNP but he/she will have no records to back this up other than it was headlined in a tory Daily Express

Sandy - the reason we don’t know how many have left is that the SNP won’t give out the numbers.

Neither  will they explain where the so called hypothecated campaign funds of £600 k are in the Accounts.
There was only around £100 k of cash on the Balance Sheet.

Letters have been showering in to the Treasurer but he refuses to respond.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

100% this.

The smear campaign conducted by the tabloids, the BBC, Sky and many others only has the effect of making the SNP stronger and hammering home exactly why we need to control our own future.

The behaviour of Davidson, Ross and their Labour pals is nothing short of shocking, I mean what's even the point of this committee and giving evidence if they've already decided on the outcome ??

Over and above this, using the gutter press to conduct their business as their mouthpiece for their insinuations and to proclaim their faux outrage is just pathetic and shows how desperate they've become, however there will only be one loser here and it won't be the SNP..........

Have you watched any of the committee proceedings?

The bias of them all, including the SNP representative s and the chair is cringeworthy.

Sturgeon could admit to an assassination plot and at least four of the committee would find nothing untoward.

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Have you watched any of the committee proceedings?

The bias of them all, including the SNP representative s and the chair is cringeworthy.

Sturgeon could admit to an assassination plot and at least four of the committee would find nothing untoward.

In fairness this whole "committee" is a joke, none of them are interested in the facts rather they are all pursuing their own agendas along party lines which makes it all a complete waste of time really.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are people buying that Sturgeon is a goner? I still can't see it happening any time soon.

Because at best she has presided over an absolute shitshow on the part of her civilservants, who have lied and tried to hide documents.

given her control over most aspects of the government it's hard to believe she was entirely unaware of this.

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Because at best she has presided over an absolute shitshow on the part of her civilservants, who have lied and tried to hide documents.

given her control over most aspects of the government it's hard to believe she was entirely unaware of this.

Yeah... that's not gonna be the end of her.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
31 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:
I agree with you.

It is a good argument against politicians judging other politicians.

It's not quite as bad as impeachment proceedings in the US. Which are beyond caricature with the partisanship.

The real test is what Hamilton comes back with wrt. breaking the ministerial code. He is truly independent and that'll be in before the elections in May. If that's damning she'll need to go for good of the party.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's not quite as bad as impeachment proceedings in the US. Which are beyond caricature with the partisanship.

The real test is what Hamilton comes back with wrt. breaking the ministerial code. He is truly independent and that'll be in before the elections in May. If that's damning she'll need to go for good of the party.

Again, she's by quite a distance the most popular politician in the UK. I can't see this being the end of her - rightly or wrongly.

1 hour ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Fact is no political party, including the SNP, is immune from bad behaviour and corruption.

It's not healthy to see anything that puts them in a poor light as a unionist plot.

Is it fair that the FM is the object of far more scrutiny than any other incumbent politician in the UK?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again, she's by quite a distance the most popular politician in the UK. I can't see this being the end of her - rightly or wrongly.

I dunno, she's been wounded. Tomorrow, I expect will be damage limitation. Then you'll have the committee's findings and then the Hamilton inquiry. Political reality changes pretty quick. It also depends on the SNP MSPs who have been pretty much been behind her up to now. It's the SNP MPs at Westminster who have been dissenting (Macaskill, MacNeil & Cherry mainly). 

Personally, I cant see her carrying on much longer. It's all become pretty unedifying and the deflection to what goes on at Westminster is exactly that. We can't control what happens at Westminster (that's the political reality) but we can at Holyrood and this whole affair has been an embarrassing shambles from beginning to end. 

Sackings should have happened two years ago and this wouldn't be what it is now. Sturgeon chose not to sack certain people and has gone to great lengths to protect them at her own peril now. 

36 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are people buying that Sturgeon is a goner? I still can't see it happening any time soon.

The only people “buying” it are those who want to.  I think they’re in for a big disappointment.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I dunno, she's been wounded. Tomorrow, I expect will be damage limitation. Then you'll have the committee's findings and then the Hamilton inquiry. Political reality changes pretty quick. It also depends on the SNP MSPs who have been pretty much been behind her up to now. It's the SNP MPs at Westminster who have been dissenting (Macaskill, MacNeil & Cherry mainly). 

Personally, I cant see her carrying on much longer. It's all become pretty unedifying and the deflection to what goes on at Westminster is exactly that. We can't control what happens at Westminster (that's the political reality) but we can at Holyrood and this whole affair has been an embarrassing shambles from beginning to end. 

Sackings should have happened two years ago and this wouldn't be what it is now. Sturgeon chose not to sack certain people and has gone to great lengths to protect them at her own peril now. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I really can't see her going anywhere.

Yoons on here will have a collective heads gone. The mental SNP supporters will point fingers down the road and ignore it.

The rest of us will move on with our lives.

^^ What he said.

I don't think the general public care enough. Sturgeon is still massively popular even if this does dent it somewhat.