Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Assume the 4 remaining Greens abstained: it's 61 SNP, 59 Unionists with 3 independents. One is Mackay, who won't show up. One is Mark McDonald who probably votes with the SNP. Wightman could go either way?

I wonder if there are any Salmond loyalists in the msp group. A VoNC in her personally doesn't force anything but imagine losing one if some of her own side broke ranks? She'd have to go.

Fanciful, I suspect but underlines that Sturgeon needs a big performance tomorrow.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned many times, but imagine if the Scottish Government had dropped the prosecution of Eck after the legal advisers had started expressing doubts. Would the opposition and press ever allow the SNP to forget about the time that they let off their old mate Alex, who was very obviously guilty?

It's less than ideal, but this might be playing out about as well as it could. It's a shame Eck has decided to ignore that and settle a few scores.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I'm sure this has already been mentioned many times, but imagine if the Scottish Government had dropped the prosecution of Eck after the legal advisers had started expressing doubts. Would the opposition and press ever allow the SNP to forget about the time that they let off their old mate Alex, who was very obviously guilty?

It's less than ideal, but this might be playing out about as well as it could. It's a shame Eck has decided to ignore that and settle a few scores.

The Judicial review wasn't about 'prosecuting Eck', it was brought by Salmond himself, against the SG, because he believed the process they tried to subject him to was illegal. He was proven to be correct, and personally, I thought it was daft that the SG even contested it to begin with. It's clearly a shambles from the moment it was admitted that the same people who were the very first to be informed of the complaints were immediately charged with concocting a brand new process to investigate them. It's laughably incompetent.

BBC quoting:

But the pro-independence Scottish Greens, who could hold the balance of power in any vote of confidence, said it was "for the committee and the ministerial code inquiry to do the jobs they've been tasked with."

The Liberal Democrats said the new documents "look very serious" for the first minister, but added: "She deserves her day to respond to these allegations before we decide what to do next."
----

Even if the motion is upheld, NS should just totally dingie it, since it's been brought about by a party whose own politicians clearly believe breaching ministerial code is inconsequential.

She should just hold up a photo of Patel any time a ScotCon breathes a word about it.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Even if the motion is upheld, NS should just totally dingie it, since it's been brought about by a party whose own politicians clearly believe breaching ministerial code is inconsequential.

She should just hold up a photo of Patel any time a ScotCon breathes a word about it.

Problem is that pointing to their lack of morals and scruples isn't a good look when you are supposed to be the standard bearer for something better.

Just now, renton said:

Problem is that pointing to their lack of morals and scruples isn't a good look when you are supposed to be the standard bearer for something better.

Aggregate scores.

3904758902347689034561 - 1,  cuts you a wee bit of slack in my book.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

If there's an administration on earth that hasn't made mistakes I haven't yet heard of it.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

If there's an administration on earth that hasn't made mistakes I haven't yet heard of it.

Usually mistakes are accepted and expected. Its the subsequent cover up that's the issue.

I don't know why NS didn't empty some civil servants when the Scottish Government lost the judicial review. Her loyalty to those who work with/for her is admirable but misplaced. Incompetence should not be protected and rewarded especially for those on massive salaries and gold plated pensions.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Tory absolutely should be an insult.

Being a Tory is a disgusting thing and they should be hounded at all opportunities to be reminded of what a horrible bag of shite they are. Utter scum.

😂

I wonder when some people will realise just how counter productive this attitude is. Play smart you idiots. 

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That is absolutely not what would have happened though. The evidence from Roddy Dunlop QC covers this and infact states the exact opposite. He states that basically all they had to do was bin the process and start again by the book and it would be fine. A proper investigation into the claims could then have been carried out. However they continued on pursuing a case they were told they would not win.

Reading between the lines, it seems Salmond feels this was done because they wanted to initiate a criminal case against him, have him found guilty, and by the time all this came to light none of this would really have mattered. The fact the essential evidence was withheld until the last minute also backs up this claim. If true (a big if still) that is incredibly sinister and is the 'smoking gun' that people are asking for. The Scottish Government are going to have to find some explanation for this. I fully expect resignations from this from within the civil service at least, and probably the Lord Advocate. Whether Sturgeon survives or not will depend on how much she is willing to throw others under the bus and how much knowledge she is shown to have of what was going on (although it would still be argued by some that it is her responsibility as First Minister regardless). This is extremely serious and damaging for the government.

The tories calling for Sturgeon's resignation tonight is just stupid and is them getting over excited. Sturgeon should be heard tomorrow and I'd imagine more people may be called to give more evidence when things come to light. By calling for her to go now they are showing themselves up as opportunistic, rather than people who actually want to get to the bottom of what is an extremely serious issue.