Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

37 minutes ago, tirso said:

Yes movement was massively helped by a progressive attitude to equality and she's keen for that to continue.  Rather than be tarred as just nationalism.  My hope too but challenge is to still facilitate debate on difficult issues and not just take the easy option.  There does appear to be a more intolerant feel about the snp just now.  I believe some are overzealous.  I used to be strident in my youth but didn't have the ability to brand people as bigots on social media for simply disagreeing.  

That's an absolutely fine position to take, as is that espoused by the likes of VT that this is an issue of non-critical importance at the moment and should never have been allowed to become a wedge issue in the first place. However, it's the same crocodile tears argument to which genuinely phobic people pivot when they realise that their views aren't well-received, before some dribbling pish about being terrified of being cancelled. We've seen in recent times on here a certain member going from some fairly rabid transphobic commentary to now mewling about how you're not allowed to have a polite discussion about it without being labelled a bigot. Absolutely correct to have the polite discussion, but some folk are clearly just covering their backs.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's an absolutely fine position to take, as is that espoused by the likes of VT that this is an issue of non-critical importance at the moment and should never have been allowed to become a wedge issue in the first place. However, it's the same crocodile tears argument to which genuinely phobic people pivot when they realise that their views aren't well-received, before some dribbling pish about being terrified of being cancelled. We've seen in recent times on here a certain member going from some fairly rabid transphobic commentary to now mewling about how you're not allowed to have a polite discussion about it without being labelled a bigot. Absolutely correct to have the polite discussion, but some folk are clearly just covering their backs.

Have we?  Lets see you post one transphobic thing said member has ever posted then.....

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Joanna Cherry getting punted (albeit from a totally meaningless position) and Philosophy Tube coming out as a transgender woman feels like the universe trying to make up for taking SOPHIE from us.

Who?

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I've not really been following the thread of late so don't really know to be totally honest.  I'm just going by what I've seen elsewhere online.  I think there is a feeling that women don't want to raise issues for fear of being traduced and defined as not progressive. Sometimes the progressive thing is to think carefully. I'm in the Andy whiteman camp I think that resigned from the greens.  The whole debate is poison when it needn't be.

I personally have great admiration for any trans walking down the street in today's world. That environment should be changed as it shouldn't be brave, it should just be their right.  They're clearly in small number and marginalised.  I also think there are issues when it comes to sport that some just want to wish away. 

All together it should never have become such a big issue but intolerance has made it so.

36 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's not gonna happen. The woke Nazis do not tolerate any dissent whatsoever. You can't even ask a question, ask for clarification or explanation, express any dissent.  You comply fully with their beliefs, and that's what they are just beliefs not facts, or you're a bigot. That's it, end of story. So any hope for a grown-up conversation is forlorn.

I've asked before on here can anyone give an example of even one transphobic thing Joanna Cherry has ever said or done in her entire life and nobody can give even one example. That tells you where we are.

Read why Andy Wightman left the Greens, same thing.

What a load of absolute shite. I've seen you call people in the SNP "nazis" twice now - and I've not read all your stuff. As far as I'm concerned, calling people "woke Nazis" is a fucking disgrace. The further away from the mainstream independence movement you and people like you are, the happier I'll be. You're a complete liability to Scottish independence. 

Should have said aside from it all Joanna cherry was never going to be the next leader and based on what I've seen has a higher opinion of herself than is merited.  Sturgeon has every right to make these decisions on balance and it might even be the right one to try and draw a line.

I'm just bemused by both factions of this who are utter losers the lot.  

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I wonder how many people are getting warned for spamming this thread given they are posting stuff not remotely related to the subject being discussed when I did for posting about the subject being discussed.  Going to take a wild guess zero.

Anyway enjoy your ideological purity, I'm sure you'll be able to fight poverty and secure EU entry with that.

With that i bid you fairwell.

First part of cutting a cancer out of the party done. Tremendous balls to do this but Cherry really was becoming a liability.

Just last week CYG was thinking Cherry would be the next leader of the SNP as well. :lol:

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Well I'm one. I was already reluctant to vote for Andrew Wilson's proposals.

How much do you think pandering to 1% of the population at the expense of 51% increased it?

Anyway don't answer I'm not interested. My active day to day interest in independence ends today. Its not gonna happen, the SNP have been fatally corrupted from within, and no progress can be made until the entire leadership is changed.

You can think people like Joanna Cherry and Andy Wightman are just mad bigots all you want, I couldn't care less anymore.

You will of course cease posting in all/any threads remotely connected to the SNP/Independence/THAT WUMMIN'?

Because yo don't care anymore

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

First part of cutting a cancer out of the party done. Tremendous balls to do this but Cherry really was becoming a liability.

Just last week CYG was thinking Cherry would be the next leader of the SNP as well. :lol:

She's still there tbf. Her position on the NEC is of far more influence than being home affairs spokesperson at Westminster anyway, but it's a slap on the wrist.

Edited by renton

Just now, renton said:

She's still there tbf. Her position on the NEC is of far more influence than being home affairs spokesperson at Westminster, but it's a slap on the wrist.

Indeed, but I don't expect this will be the end of it considering the way Cherry views herself.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

An impetus on both sides for grown-up conversation - as opposed to twitter screaming matches - and an agreed, unified stance on how the case for independence can be best presented seems like the sensible approach to take just three months before an election of this magnitude. Whatever your thoughts on Cherry, driving an axe into already bitter, pointless factions, is monumentally stupid and it all has a very unpleasant New Labour feel.

Spot on... it’s not about Cherry (who is actually not that important in the big picture), it’s about Sturgeon...

Why can’t I get that David Byrne song out of my head?

Absolutely fantastic that Cherry has been given a very public skelping. We're at the point where her and her ilk are essentially a cancer in the Party, so decreasing her influence (even marginally) and publicly embarrassing her is absolutely the right move. For someone that has been accused of "not being a leader" and just being "an administrator" Sturgeon has certainly acted swiftly and concisely too.

Like Renton, the first thing I assumed when I saw her tweet is that she was the leak to the c**t in Bath. Just makes me think even less of her if so. 

Who?

Just some philosophy tube

Just kidding, it’s a YouTuber called Abigail Thorn that does long-form videos about philosophy who recently came out as trans although in a twist apparently they’d been living as Abigail privately for quite a long time and the videos where they’re “Oliver Thorn” were an intentional performance.

They’re quite popular although I stopped watching their vids a couple of years back.