Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Women that have sincere concerns about gender ID are branded bigots and others on both sides of the debate are intolerant of anyone having a different view to them.

SNP officialdom is a joke just now.  I can see why Sturgeon has decided to take action and try to move on. 

Yes movement was massively helped by a progressive attitude to equality and she's keen for that to continue.  Rather than be tarred as just nationalism.  My hope too but challenge is to still facilitate debate on difficult issues and not just take the easy option.  There does appear to be a more intolerant feel about the snp just now.  I believe some are overzealous.  I used to be strident in my youth but didn't have the ability to brand people as bigots on social media for simply disagreeing.  A lot of activists put me right off independence.  Losers that would argue in an empty room.

lol @ Joanna Cherry

imagine committing career suicide trying to f**k over marginalised people

ah well, how sad, never mind

it's only a matter of time until 2021's equivalent of Change UK is launched in Scotland, with Joanna Cherry as Salmond's deputy.

wonder who their mike gapes will be.

7 minutes ago, tirso said:

Women that have sincere concerns about gender ID are branded bigots and others on both sides of the debate are intolerant of anyone having a different view to them.

SNP officialdom is a joke just now.  I can see why Sturgeon has decided to take action and try to move on. 

Yes movement was massively helped by a progressive attitude to equality and she's keen for that to continue.  Rather than be tarred as just nationalism.  My hope too but challenge is to still facilitate debate on difficult issues and not just take the easy option.  There does appear to be a more intolerant feel about the snp just now.  I believe some are overzealous.  I used to be strident in my youth but didn't have the ability to brand people as bigots on social media for simply disagreeing.  A lot of activists put me right off independence.  Losers that would argue in an empty room.

Yeah, even to want to discuss certain aspects or ask questions get you immediately branded a bigot. Dissent of any form is not tolerated.  Its amazing people can't see how dangerous that is.

Cherry's only 'crime' is to believe biology is real. She doesn't want to take any rights away from trans people, or deny them the right to live their lives how they please.  And she is someone who has fought for equal rights all her adult life and faced decades of discrimination herself.  Its very sad this is the hill that Scottish independence is going to die on, laughable though really not funny.

Yeah, even to want to discuss certain aspects or ask questions get you immediately branded a bigot. Dissent of any form is not tolerated.  Its amazing people can't see how dangerous that is.
Cherry's only 'crime' is to believe biology is real. She doesn't want to take any rights away from trans people, or deny them the right to live their lives how they please.  And she is someone who has fought for equal rights all her adult life and faced decades of discrimination herself.  Its very sad this is the hill that Scottish independence is going to die on, laughable though really not funny.
Do you think she is right to offer support to a known antisemite?

1 minute ago, tirso said:

Is there a party for folk that are bemused by the cherry 'faction' AND the 'student' politics faction that abuses anyone they don't like?  Snp needs to grow up.

I think a split is coming. The best hope is that NS has to step down in a few weeks, then the party could maybe begin to be repaired.

Cherry is still in the SNP, still my fucking MP and literally the only that happened is she has lost a title for a meaningless job at Westminster. 

Well, I mean I was going to vote Yes, but her losing a title has really slammed me back into the No camp, I'm away to wrap myself in a Union Jack.

Edited by renton

An impetus on both sides for grown-up conversation - as opposed to twitter screaming matches - and an agreed, unified stance on how the case for independence can be best presented seems like the sensible approach to take just three months before an election of this magnitude. Whatever your thoughts on Cherry, driving an axe into already bitter, pointless factions, is monumentally stupid and it all has a very unpleasant New Labour feel.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I think a split is coming. The best hope is that NS has to step down in a few weeks, then the party could maybe begin to be repaired.

See I don't remotely agree with that either!  But hey I won't brand you a bigot.  

6 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

An impetus on both sides for grown-up conversation - as opposed to twitter screaming matches - and an agreed, unified stance on how the case for independence can be best presented seems like the sensible approach to take just three months before an election of this magnitude. Whatever your thoughts on Cherry, driving an axe into already bitter, pointless factions, is monumentally stupid and it all has a very unpleasant New Labour feel.

That's not gonna happen. The woke Nazis do not tolerate any dissent whatsoever. You can't even ask a question, ask for clarification or explanation, express any dissent.  You comply fully with their beliefs, and that's what they are just beliefs not facts, or you're a bigot. That's it, end of story. So any hope for a grown-up conversation is forlorn.

I've asked before on here can anyone give an example of even one transphobic thing Joanna Cherry has ever said or done in her entire life and nobody can give even one example. That tells you where we are.

Read why Andy Wightman left the Greens, same thing.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor