Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

It is unlikely that AIDS is a factor in people thinking society is going through a 'queer fad'. Mostly because you'll probably find that sentiment in countries that had nowhere near as many AIDS deaths as the US (like the UK).

Edited by Gordon EF

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Yeah fair enough, a very visible crisis at the time but the actual numbers underlying it are quite modest.

If anything, it's almost certainly to do with an extremely sharp decrease in general homophobia across society  leading to far more visibility. In one generation it's gone from a national pass time to something that's broadly seen as extremely unacceptable. the majority of Millenials and GenZ have grown up knowing LGBTQ people personally and having an exposure to LGBTQ people and issues through the media. Boomers didn't and that's almost certainly where the vast majority of the "why do all the kids think it's cool to be trans these days?" shite comes from.

Edited by Gordon EF

12 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

That's the kind of question that gets me thinking, from a stats point of view as much as anything, so I did a few sums. When you make a few assumptions about how many gay men there are / were in that mid 40s to mid 50s cohort and compare it to the numbers of AIDS deaths in the US, it's pretty clear it had an unbelievable toll on that generation even if you're fairly conservative on the estimate of what % of AIDS victims were gay men and what the age range of victims were. It absolutely would be significant.

45-54 is probably a bit young seeing as anyone who's 45 today was a child during the 80s but the point remains.

The homophobic attitude of Reagan was a big factor in all those deaths. Honestly, I can't fathom why he is remembered so fondly here in the States. The guy was insane.

3 minutes ago, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

It's great that schools are flooded with identity politics these days. Absolutely brilliant. Schools used to be about learning and preparing for future careers. It's excellent to see them scrap this outdated concept in place of identity shaming instead. 

Doesn't really sound like you ever went to school tbqhwy.

Sturgeon looks to be in a bit of bother now.
She told Parliament that her meeting with Salmond in her home was SNP business but Murrell says it was government business and Liz Lloyd was present as well.
The lack of replies to this says a lot. People outwith the political bubble really don't give two hoots about the whole she said he said of this, no matter how normally controversial it would be.

Covid-19 and the Constitutional car crash coming down the line are cutting through far more with the public so I can see Sturgeon riding this one out.

Not saying I agree with it but that is the impression I get, it just is not a talking point among the electorate at all.

The lack of replies to this says a lot. People outwith the political bubble really don't give two hoots about the whole she said he said of this, no matter how normally controversial it would be.

Covid-19 and the Constitutional car crash coming down the line are cutting through far more with the public so I can see Sturgeon riding this one out.

Not saying I agree with it but that is the impression I get, it just is not a talking point among the electorate at all.
The only ones getting worked up about it are hard line unionists and a few yer da' conspiracy theorists.

The only ones getting worked up about it are hard line unionists and a few yer da' conspiracy theorists.
Precisely. It isn't an issue for the electorate. Have to admit I switch off to it when I hear reports on it on Good Morning Scotland. It has no real impact to me at all.

16 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

It's the lack of MSM coverage that gets me. They leap to attack Sturgeon and the SNP and don't seem to be touching this. It's making me wonder. On the surface it looks bad but that in particular has me curious.

The only reason you're saying "who gives a f**k" is because of who's involved. Don't try and pretend it's anything else. You're the same as the other tribal idiots.

If it was credible, you probably should. But the reason you shouldn't is because the enemies don't care. Because if there was anything to this, when they've gone for much stupider, they'd launch at it.

People like JLD are a big part of why I can't be fucked with a lot of SNP voters.

The only reason you're saying "who gives a f**k" is because of who's involved. Don't try and pretend it's anything else. You're the same as the other tribal idiots.
If it was credible, you probably should. But the reason you shouldn't is because the enemies don't care. Because if there was anything to this, when they've gone for much stupider, they'd launch at it.
People like JLD are a big part of why I can't be fucked with a lot of SNP voters.
Cop yourself on, look again at what's been discussed, it's hardly a smoking gun. The reason why the media aren't making a big deal on this....is that there is nothing to see.
Haters of independence or the SNP jump on these stories as if they are big fucking news but they are not. It's insignificant, petty and the vast majority of people couldn't give a f**k. Over and Out

22 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Cop yourself on, look again at what's been discussed, it's hardly a smoking gun. The reason why the media aren't making a big deal on this....is that there is nothing to see.
Haters of independence or the SNP jump on these stories as if they are big fucking news but they are not. It's insignificant, petty and the vast majority of people couldn't give a f**k. Over and Out

I saw the Murrell testimony being reported on the BBC and he said something like "if the FM tells me it's none of my business then I change the subject" and I thought "well, duh". There's nothing there.

I saw the Murrell testimony being reported on the BBC and he said something like "if the FM tells me it's none of my business then I change the subject" and I thought "well, duh". There's nothing there.

Of course there is nothing see. It's a classic example of Unionists clutching straws. People need to decipher what's newsworthy and what's not, ultimately that's what separates the wise from the clever. E.g. The first patient receiving the vaccine yesterday is newsworthy, however her being a grandmother called Margaret is irrelevant.

Of course true enlightenment is the knowledge that Russia and China have been vaccinating for weeks.

17 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

all a bit like the Salmond trial...Unionists were foaming at the moo with anticipation before it went to court..."OMG he touched her hair....this is dynamite"...then what? it was all a complete load of fabricated bollocks.  This too will blow over but I cannot see why it is taking so long.