Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

This public airing on Twitter from all individuals involved is embarrassing. Cherry, Blackman and Smith in particular should be hanging their heads in shame. They're supposed to be parliamentarians and their squabbling over social media has been cringeworthy.

Whatever you think of the NEC results, it was a democratic process and that's that.  If the party didn't vote the way you wanted, maybe it's not the party for you?

For what it's worth, this is the kind of conduct I expect from party representatives on social media:

image.png.ab170973ef8fe240a68c973663de445f.png

Gracious in defeat, but ultimately acknowledging we all want the same thing, independence.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

We'll see how it plays out. Ironically enough it might be the thing to teach them that when you have a close to 50:50 split on something you have to build consensus.

I agree. But simply pushing this whole thing into law without proper scrutiny wouldn't be building a consensus would it?

It seems that everybody wants everything their own way these days, regardless of what side of an issue they sit on. There is no compromise.

Just seems like an incredible shit storm that the SNP could do with avoiding altogether right now.

40 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Joanna Cherry doesnt care about anyone but herself. Utter c**t. Thinks she'll draw people to the SNP but she will just drive them away. Kirsty Blackman calling her out tonight was beautiful. Cherry's reply 🤣 

Dreadful stuff to see someone wield the misery deployed against our community against those who still need some comradeship and support from their fellow travellers. There's no person more risible than a queer who makes sure the drawbridge is lifted up behind them.

Edited by NotThePars

If indy is ever achieved do you think Cherry et al will ever realise that they are more aligned to the tories than the left? 
Why does a wee diddy video game reviewer who doesnt even want to live in Scotland hold so much sway in Scottish independence circles? If his wee faction get their claws into the SNP any further they wont be any different to the tories, so what would be the point of keeping it going?

33 minutes ago, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

The SNP have been in power for 13 years, why is this even the focus right now? Are they trying to trip the SNP up at the final hurdle or what? It's clear that there is absolute zero common consensus over the issue with people pretty much split right down the middle on it. Do we really need to be dealing with this right now?

Joanna Cherry is to trans people as Tommy Robinson is to black people.

That's what the SNP has become.

The SNP's enemies are laughing their arses off right now, but not for the reason you think. The SNP are led by the most popular party leader in the history of Scottish politics. She's currently so popular that she's just won over a chunk of voters to independence, taking it consistently over 50% for the very first time.

And people in the SNP who think she's too wet for their version of nationalism have voted onto the NEC a slate of people who will be doing their utmost to undermine and topple her.

18 minutes ago, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I agree. But simply pushing this whole thing into law without proper scrutiny wouldn't be building a consensus would it?

It seems that everybody wants everything their own way these days, regardless of what side of an issue they sit on. There is no compromise.

Just seems like an incredible shit storm that the SNP could do with avoiding altogether right now.

The problem is that you're asking trans people and those who care about human rights to accept rampant transphobia in the name of "consensus". Where's the compromise from the transphobes? Why is it the others who are expected to shut up?

And would you compromise with Tommy Robinson?

I'm too old/stupid to understand to trans/ anti trans arguments fully - I start off kinda understanding but then my mind wanders off to what I'm having for my tea.

One comment above rings true though. I used to enjoy WoS, but this whole debate turned me right off. Haven't looked at it in months.

Why cant we all just get along and be pals? We can sort this out later...

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The SNP's enemies are laughing their arses off right now, but not for the reason you think. The SNP are led by the most popular party leader in the history of Scottish politics. She's currently so popular that she's just won over a chunk of voters to independence, taking it consistently over 50% for the very first time.

And people in the SNP who think she's too wet for their version of nationalism have voted onto the NEC a slate of people who will be doing their utmost to undermine and topple her.

The problem is that you're asking trans people and those who care about human rights to accept rampant transphobia in the name of "consensus". Where's the compromise from the transphobes? Why is it the others who are expected to shut up?

If the looney fringes like Mceleny, Cherry, Macneil et al do gain control of the SNP fully then they will never win an indy vote. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the looney fringes like Mceleny, Cherry, Macneil et al do gain control of the SNP fully then they will never win an indy vote. 

I agree, but their supporters think they'll have a much better chance with them than the "wokerati".

I don't think we'll see another referendum any time soon though. All the Tories need to do is say "never, never, never", keep collecting their 20% in Scotland and stand back while the SNP tears itself apart over how to respond. This could well be 1979 for the SNP all over again.

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Can we brainstorm something we can say that makes the Wightman followers sound a bit mystical? I like it when Muslim lads do like "The Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him)". We need a catchphrase like that that we can use every time we talk about Andy Wightman. 

Given he's a Green should we not try and tie it into Gaia?

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There is no one single "version" of nationalism. The sooner people get to grips with this the better.

I'm absolutely going to play the "I saw Andy Wightman at King Tut's so I'm a better fan than you" card, and I'm not ashamed of it.

When I started uni 27 years ago I used to mooch around the library trying to avoid studying. I was getting into hillwalking so I would browse all the books about mountains - I read every single accident report in over 100 years of the SMC Journal. I came across Who Owns Scotland when it was published in 1996 and was immediately hooked. After that I would look out everything he wrote. I even subscribed to his online land ownership database.

It pissed me off that there wasn't a good job for him somewhere in a uni or a think tank. He's found a good home now, where he's not expected to be a normal politician, he doesn't have to talk about things outside his knowledge and he can just do his Wightman thing. 

3 minutes ago, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

There is no one single "version" of nationalism. The sooner people get to grips with this the better.

Sure. But I am certain you that Cherry's version of Scottish nationalism is a lot less palatable to the electorate than Nicola Sturgeon's.

30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If indy is ever achieved do you think Cherry et al will ever realise that they are more aligned to the tories than the left? 

Isn't that kind of what the Yes movement should be though? 

Everyone wants independence for their own reasons, but more than one political viewpoint has come together to achieve that aim.

For me, one of the most exciting aspects of independence is the ability to discover more about my own politics, listen to arguments and come to a view. I'm a (relatively) young voter but have been a single issue voter at every single election because I don't believe we can realise our potential without independence.

If folk in the party are right leaning or left leaning, doesn't bother me one bit. Once we achieve it, we shake hands, go separate ways and start voting on shaping the country rather than getting a country to shape.