Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

No problem with big policy ideas but I don't like the idea of formal factions within a party trying to control party mechanics. Especially when they are being supported by Robin fucking McAlpine.
Throwing in their lot with the transphobes too.

I don’t really have a problem with members seeking to hold specific party politicians to a pre-established agenda (Labour should highlight the problem of parliamentary colleagues treating the members as disposable foot soldiers that shouldn’t be catered to) but aye I’m not really sure what gives Robin McAlpine the right to try and dictate internal SNP policy other than his own inflated ego.

Yea, the uncritical reporting of Women’s Pledge can f**k off as well.

On 20 November 2020 at 14:26, SandyCromarty said:

I very much doubt if anyone was surprised by the results of that Nicola/Boris poll or that anybody would argue against it.

Apart from the terrible tories that is.

An impartial opinion might give the same answer to all four questions - it has been handled extremely badly by all four participants with similar results in their respective domains.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don’t really have a problem with members seeking to hold specific party politicians to a pre-established agenda (Labour should highlight the problem of parliamentary colleagues treating the members as disposable foot soldiers that shouldn’t be catered to) but aye I’m not really sure what gives Robin McAlpine the right to try and dictate internal SNP policy other than his own inflated ego.

Yea, the uncritical reporting of Women’s Pledge can f**k off as well.

I found the list and it's the usual gimps who try and prevent the conference going ahead by voting down the Conveners address every year so that's reassuring.

I wpuld have been annoyed if it was people I respected.

At least Gerry Fisher has a sense of humour 

*anecdotal* is there a problem with stigma for free school meals; partners younger brother qualified for them but never took them, claimed that anyone using the wee vouchers or tickets they give you would get slagged. Might do a little of the googling but I can't remember free school meals coming up as a bullying topic at primary, it was more just general cruelty towards children deemed to be scatty or that had nits*

*i genuinely dont think i indulged in any of that at primary, although i had some arsehole moments that im not proud of at secondary*

of course he may have been bullshitting in order to just get given extra cash to buy cigarettes/shite out of vending machines/go to a chippy instead

edit: not remotely saying free school meals are a bad thing incidentally, just that im hoping any stigma for children claiming them is fading/has been mitigated somehow.

Actually if ive got it right the meals are free for all children at primary then there cant really be any stigma at primary level since its not means tested, ooooo thats good!

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

54 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If the free school meals improve the eating habits of Scottish kids then it will pay for itself in the long term.

Obesity is out of control in this country.

I'm more than happy that free school meals will be offered to all primary school kids, but I doubt very much this will help alleviate obesity in this country.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Tremendous.

Great move by the Scottish Government.  I'm not sure that £230m will cover the cost though.  Plenty of schools have stopped providing breakfast clubs already as they couldn't make them cover the costs of the additional staffing required and the prices were up to £4 for less than an hour and sometimes did not even include breakfast!

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

*anecdotal* is there a problem with stigma for free school meals; partners younger brother qualified for them but never took them, claimed that anyone using the wee vouchers or tickets they give you would get slagged. Might do a little of the googling but I can't remember free school meals coming up as a bullying topic at primary, it was more just general cruelty towards children deemed to be scatty or that had nits*

*i genuinely dont think i indulged in any of that at primary, although i had some arsehole moments that im not proud of at secondary*

of course he may have been bullshitting in order to just get given extra cash to buy cigarettes/shite out of vending machines/go to a chippy instead

edit: not remotely saying free school meals are a bad thing incidentally, just that im hoping any stigma for children claiming them is fading/has been mitigated somehow.

Actually if ive got it right the meals are free for all children at primary then there cant really be any stigma at primary level since its not means tested, ooooo thats good!

The last point you make is a good one and another argument for universalising a service like this. From my own experience everyone was given a card to top up for use in dinner halls but those with free meals had it automatically topped up so in theory folk wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Back in black and white times the poor kids did get wee tokens and they were slagged rotten, including by me. It's great we're finally making this universal but it's always infuriating when you reflect on it having taken 30-40 years.

Enjoyed Flying Rodent managing to portray it negatively

3 hours ago, Durex Play said:

Andrew Marr certainly had her on the ropes. If it was a heavyweight bout the she’d have thrown the towel in.

The pressure of manipulating figures, playing magic numbers and the Salmond enquiry is obviously getting to her judging by the bags under her eyes.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Andrew Marr certainly had her on the ropes. If it was a heavyweight bout the she’d have thrown the towel in.
The pressure of manipulating figures, playing magic numbers and the Salmond enquiry is obviously getting to her judging by the bags under her eyes.

I’ve seen lots of Yoons claiming this. I think she dealt with all of his questions pretty well.

Asking a question =/= having someone on the ropes. You need to listen to the answers too.

What utter bollocks.

The attempt to use Covid deaths over a 4-week period was cynical straw-clutching of the worst kind.

People are not dumb enough to fall for this sort of snap shot use of statistics by the BBC in an attempt to undermine the FM.

14 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

A man said "undermine the FM" 😂

Don't question our dear and cherished leader..

If you don't want an answer to the question you're about to ask, then don't ask the question. In Andrew Marrs case, that is every non-tory that he questions, which he then proceeds to shout over when they're giving an answer. An utter cockwomble that fits right in with the BBC and the severely limited brain capacity of the average BritNat such as yourself.