Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

9 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

ElCdaJyXEAIv2oN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Day job.

I'll assume all the unionists moaning about PISA scores a couple of years ago will now be vocally applauding the SNP for this improvement?

Of course around 10-15% of them probably aren't unionists any more, but still. 

On 22/10/2020 at 21:52, Detournement said:

I just mean a publicly owned company would have advantages over the likes of Utility Warehouse who I am with just now. 

If anyone has a recommendation to switch to let me know. 

On 22/10/2020 at 21:59, Gordon EF said:

I'm not sure I agree but I suppose that's opinion.

Bulb are decent. If anyone wants to switch to them, use my link and we both get £50...

Reveal hidden contents

www.bulb.me/gordonh6600?utm_campaign=account-referral-share&utm_medium=copy-link&utm_source=copy-button

On 23/10/2020 at 00:36, Londonwell said:

Second here for Bulb. Very good customer service since I’ve been with them. Was gonna suggest the £50 code but don’t want to steal Gordons dibs.

Third here for Bulb.

Someone on here posted a link last year in General Nonsense for it similar to Gordon EF's (or was it him?) whereby they and me got £50 for switching. Process was quick as was the £50 in my bank account. Have had no complaints since joining and their ethos chimes with me.

Looking at the Pisa scores it's not the same tests as the core language, maths, science assessments we have declined in that were discussed a while ago. 

It's basically a citizenship style test with a bit of an IQ test. Scottish kids did well at the IQ test which isn't surprising. You need to have your wits about you up here!

56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Third here for Bulb.

Someone on here posted a link last year in General Nonsense for it similar to Gordon EF's (or was it him?) whereby they and me got £50 for switching. Process was quick as was the £50 in my bank account. Have had no complaints since joining and their ethos chimes with me.

We've been with bulb for the last couple of years and they have been excellent, continually monitoring our elect and gas consumption and advising when to reduce the debit to suit.

dont think they're still doing it but went from RBS to First Direct several years ago, they've been excellent on the 2 or 3 occasions i've had to phone them, got £125 switching bonus within about a month of switching (following one of those Martin Lewis links at the time, normal switching bonus without the referral was £100) and the app has been very reliable + friendly for doing whatever I want.

I'm not a bot shilling them in case the Cardinal starts shining up the banhammer btw.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

21 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Ok, what has the overspend being eventually spent got to do with not being able to borrow money to create a production chain for wind turbines? Which, by the way, we could not do under EU rules in the first fucking place. You keep thinking you're being clever but you haven't managed it yet.  As ever.

I don't know what one has to do with the other.  Only you are linking the two things after making an arse of yourself again.

On 24/10/2020 at 20:16, strichener said:

I don't know what one has to do with the other.  Only you are linking the two things after making an arse of yourself again.

Presuming (no doubt erroneously) that you had a point putting those quotes together, what was it then? The overspend is spent every year, we couldn't subsidise a production line of wind turbines if we wanted to, we couldn't borrow money to do so.  Just what is it you think your clever point is?

Presuming (no doubt erroneously) that you had a point putting those quotes together, what was it then? The overspend is spent every year, we couldn't subsidise a production line of wind turbines if we wanted to, we couldn't borrow money to do so.  Just what is it you think your clever point is?

The elephant in the room which he is ignoring is that BiFab's bid was as competitive as any UK or European Yard - it just could not compete with the ridiculously low Chinese offers. 

The Contract for Difference Subsidy auction has caused a race to the bottom that no Scottish or UK yard can win.

13 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

I've already explained to you that you are wrong regarding the underspend.  

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, strichener said:

I've already explained to you that you are wrong regarding the overspend.  

No, he really isn't. If the underspend wasn't spent, then it would accumulate upwards year on year. This doesn't happen under the SNP. The underspend goes into the budget for the next financial year, causing it to be subsequently replaced by the underspend for that year. The underspend acts as a necessary buffer to prevent the risk of overspend. Which is vitally important for a government that can't borrow. (Also, there is no 'overspend')

Edited by BawWatchin

28 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

No, he really isn't. If the underspend wasn't spent, then it would accumulate upwards year on year. This doesn't happen under the SNP. The underspend goes into the budget for the next financial year, causing it to be subsequently replaced by the underspend for that year. The underspend acts as a necessary buffer to prevent the risk of overspend. Which is vitally important for a government that can't borrow. (Also, there is no 'overspend')

I have corrected the initial post to state underspend just to make it clear.

However, the rest of you post is ill-informed nonsense.

1. Until the SNP came to power, the underspend was returned to the Treasury and did not accumulate year on year.
2. As I have already stated in a previous post, the underspend that was returned to the treasury during the Lab/Lib coalition was returned to the SNP Governement over a period of 4 years.  A total of over £1.5bln.
3. The Scottish government can borrow.

All this, whilst interesting, does not address my initial post which was that as a country we should have been investing in renewable technologies earlier and with more capital than we did.  Whilst the current issues facing BiFab are not in the least bit desirable, the other elements for the wind farm involve hi-tech manufacture and design which also will not be provided from Scotland.  Hardly world-leading.  The notion that there wasn't money available to invest heavily in renewables is clearly misplaced.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

I have corrected the initial post to state underspend just to make it clear.

However, the rest of you post is ill-informed nonsense.

1. Until the SNP came to power, the underspend was returned to the Treasury and did not accumulate year on year.
2. As I have already stated in a previous post, the underspend that was returned to the treasury during the Lab/Lib coalition was returned to the SNP Governement over a period of 4 years.  A total of over £1.5bln.
3. The Scottish government can borrow.

All this, whilst interesting, does not address my initial post which was that as a country we should have been investing in renewable technologies earlier and with more capital than we did.  Whilst the current issues facing BiFab are not in the least bit desirable, the other elements for the wind farm involve hi-tech manufacture and design which also will not be provided from Scotland.  Hardly world-leading.  The notion that there wasn't money available to invest heavily in renewables is clearly misplaced.

1) I never said the underspend accumulated before the SNP came to power.

2) The only reason it did was because the SNP demanded the recuperation of those funds. Something that wouldn't have happened had Labour still been running Holyrood.

3) The Scottish Government has a borrowing cap (from Westminster) of approximately £500m. A significant detail that for whatever reason, you chose not to mention.

I'm not sure if you're just clueless or wilfully ignorant. There hasn't been free money available to invest in this technology. As i've already pointed out, the underspend acts as a buffer to prevent any accidental overspend. Yes, the Scottish Government can borrow a maximum of £500m from the UK Treasury, but it is then subsequently subtracted from the overall budget for the next financial year effectively nullifying the safety buffer that the underspend provides.