Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

An absolute disgrace from the SNP today and it's been rightly slammed by many of their own supporters including some outfit I've never heard of called the SNP Common Weal Group. Presumably they're very affiliated with the notorious Stirling Uni wreckers. The only person I've seen out defending the vote was Mhairi Hunter.

There's a thread on this:  

The estimable @pandarillahas his finger on the pulse.

Haven't looked into this thoroughly enough yet to come to an opinion, but am already dismayed that Andy Wightman uses 'tenants" interchangeably with 'renters'. WTF is a renter? There are no doubt other issues going on, but it's not a good start.

http://www.andywightman.com/archives/4624

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Haven't looked into this thoroughly enough yet to come to an opinion, but am already dismayed that Andy Wightman uses 'tenants" interchangeably with 'renters'. WTF is a renter? There are no doubt other issues going on, but it's not a good start.

http://www.andywightman.com/archives/4624

Not all renters are tenants. 

Looks like Kevin Stewart actually lied about Wightman in defending the SNP's position as well, saying that they just couldn't support it because of some insurmountable technicality with the wording of the amendment and that's Wightman's fault because if he'd engaged with them that wouldn't have happened... only for Wightman to produce the emails showing he did contact Stewart to inform him of the wording of the amendment and got blanked.

Almost as if the SNP were always in total agreement with the Tory position on this and were looking for bullshit excuses to hide the fact they're even to the right of the fucking Lib Dems when it comes to protecting landlords.

11 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Looks like Kevin Stewart actually lied about Wightman in defending the SNP's position as well, saying that they just couldn't support it because of some insurmountable technicality with the wording of the amendment and that's Wightman's fault because if he'd engaged with them that wouldn't have happened... only for Wightman to produce the emails showing he did contact Stewart to inform him of the wording of the amendment and got blanked.

Almost as if the SNP were always in total agreement with the Tory position on this and were looking for bullshit excuses to hide the fact they're even to the right of the fucking Lib Dems when it comes to protecting landlords.

yeah - hugely disappointing to see the Green (and Labour) amendments batted away like this. It came across as very arrogant and it should give a left leaning*/social democratic party pause for thought that the Tories are their main backers in support of a legislative proposal., particularly on an issue such as housing.

*subject to your own view

This is going to bite them on the arse when the SNP don't get a majority and have to rely on the Greens again in 2021. I say this in a good way though.

I’m full doomer at this point but I don’t think it’ll make that much of a difference. Too many members and supporters are content to let the leadership act in as reactionary a manner as it sees fit (contrary to their own conference motions apparently) as long as they’re seen to be acting on the intention to deliver independence.

If Sturgeon sets out a roadmap for the next referendum are you or most other voters really going to take your vote anywhere else?

I’m loathe to put the blame elsewhere but the dearth of credible opposition has let the SNP off the hook for years of anaemic governance. The argument about joining the party doesn’t hold much water either given they’re happy to ignore their own membership as well to likely little detriment.

48 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Well, if the membership get stymied about things that have been voted through at conference then squashed by right wing MSPs, you wouldn't be terribly surprised if a few more of them gave their list vote to the greens, with the express intention of having the greens act in a much more hard nosed way towards the SNP in 2021 with regard to these issues. Land reform for example.

My constituency vote is not up for grabs but my list vote certainly is, at the moment I've no reason not to give it to the greens as it keeps Mark Ruskell in the parliament, and I want the SNP to feel pressure particularly on environmental but also a variety of areas where I think they could do with being a lot more social democratic.

If the SNP get their majority I guess all that falls by the wayside.

They used to speak about monkeys with red rosettes.  Apparently only the colour has changed.

Edited by strichener

48 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

it's a slightly flippant observation but there's a grain of truth in it. If you end up with fucking Fulton MacGregor becoming an MSP then there's something wrong with the SNP talent pool. That's why it's essential there are pro independence parties* to force the SNP to stay lean.

*obviously not the Yer Da Bath Party though.

They made it pretty clear when they surged in 2015 that they were mainly looking for non entities to vote with the whip to fill out their ranks. 

I'm sure there were quite a lot of complaints about experienced people being overlooked for novices who would be easier to control. 

Can someone explain to me the proposal re rent? I get the impression it failing is something I should be angry about, but some of my smart Twitter folk, whom I trust, are defending the Scot gov (night shift has stopped me keeping as up to date).

Seeing a bit of "this might change how I feel on independence" which tbh is patter which deserves a headbutt into 2017.

(Ok, that's a bit much, but it is awful patter).

Edited by Sunrise

Remarkable that John Curtice's analysis of differing views north and south of the border on how respective governments are handling the crisis puts it down to our consistent bias in crediting what is done well to Holyrood and blaming poor performance on Westminster, and in viewing the two governments through a partisan lens. In other words, it reads to me, the Scottish public is unable to rationally judge.

He didn't mention other possibilities. That people might respect the fact that Nicola Sturgeon has stood up and delivered a clear and consistent message to the Scottish public just about every single day of the crisis. That she's been decisive yet sympathetic throughout. That she hasn't been seen to promote 'herd immunity' strategies or let her advisers contribute to scientific advisory boards. That she's never bragged about shaking hands with COVID patients and wasn't party to a decision that saw the UK shut out of an EU scheme to buy PPE units. That she's owned up to making mistakes. That in practical aspects, Scotland's approach has differed in small ways: quicker to announce bans on large gatherings and school closures, and flagging measures to end the lockdown well in advance, with the public  invited to share their views. 

Curtice has a lot more insight than me, but I'd be surprised if none of those factors has influenced views.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Remarkable that John Curtice's analysis of differing views north and south of the border on how respective governments are handling the crisis puts it down to our consistent bias in crediting what is done well to Holyrood and blaming poor performance on Westminster, and in viewing the two governments through a partisan lens. In other words, it reads to me, the Scottish public is unable to rationally judge.

He didn't mention other possibilities. That people might respect the fact that Nicola Sturgeon has stood up and delivered a clear and consistent message to the Scottish public just about every single day of the crisis. That she's been decisive yet sympathetic throughout. That she hasn't been seen to promote 'herd immunity' strategies or let her advisers contribute to scientific advisory boards. That she's never bragged about shaking hands with COVID patients and wasn't party to a decision that saw the UK shut out of an EU scheme to buy PPE units. That she's owned up to making mistakes. That in practical aspects, Scotland's approach has differed in small ways: quicker to announce bans on large gatherings and school closures, and flagging measures to end the lockdown well in advance, with the public  invited to share their views. 

Curtice has a lot more insight than me, but I'd be surprised if none of those factors has influenced views.

My Mum, no fan of Sturgeon's, says she has been impressed with her honesty and clarity.

I think it's down to that fact that there is no mincing of words, no over-optimism, no bragging about successes - she is telling it how it is in terms we can all understand. I think she has also been more human than any of the robots they keep putting up at the UK briefings.

It's always brilliant on Twitter when someone in England gives Sturgeon even some mild praise and you get some Scotch Tory from somewhere like Larkhall with five union flags in their bio replying with something like: "NO, YOU DON'T LIVE HERE !!!! IT'S LIKE NORTH KOREA !!!!". 

36 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It's always brilliant on Twitter when someone in England gives Sturgeon even some mild praise and you get some Scotch Tory from somewhere like Larkhall with five union flags in their bio replying with something like: "NO, YOU DON'T LIVE HERE !!!! IT'S LIKE NORTH KOREA !!!!". 

"She is unliked by the majority of Scotland" says davieRFC1872