Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

16 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Perhaps because she anticipated Johnson would be reckless with people's lives and didn't want to be collectively associated with it?

She could have done that by simply releasing an additional SG statement after the Cobra meeting: which she did anyway. There was absolutely no reason to discuss what measures should be taken a couple of hours beforehand as well. 

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

She could have done that by simply releasing an additional SG statement after the Cobra meeting: which she did anyway. There was absolutely no reason to discuss what measures should be taken a couple of hours beforehand as well. 

Sturgeon discussed measures after the cobra meeting finished. HTH

18 hours ago, virginton said:

I've no issue with 'gazumping' Johnson in a press release - or merely stating public information - but I don't think she's done too well today. BY lunchtime she was already sending a message to the public about banning public gatherings that was at odds with Westminster's line prior the Cobra meeting. That was daft IMO: she should have at least kept her case for the meeting itself and then announced any additional arrangements for Scotland in its aftermath.

I'm far from a Britnat but there's no point in having the Scottish Government setting out contradictory and (IMO) specious advice on this issue. It's not going to reassure the public and does nothing for the credibility of either government.

This is just brainless nonsense.  Scotgov control the health service here its their decision to make, if they want to enact measure different or supplemntary to those in rUK that's their decision. She stated some of these measures apply to Scotland alone.

As for being specious well I'm glad you're not in charge.

Like a lot of people, you're just scrambling around for an angle to attack her and making yourself look an idiot. Its an area of devolved competence and she has acted by far the most swiftly and professionally to mitigate the effects and inform the public.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

Since when did it become the FM's job to announce that she was in favour of stopping public gatherings of more than 500 people a few hours before a meeting designed specifically to agree on a coordinated response? Sturgeon doesn't publicly state every single view she has going into inter-governmental meetings: it was a deliberate political act.

All it did was sow public confusion - an outcome that should be reserved at all times for the clowncar outfit ruling from Westminster at the moment.

It wasn't designed to agree on a coordinated response, it was just the British government's response. 

She was party to it as it effects Scotland too.

The Scottish and English NHS are entirely independent of each other, there is no need legally or practically for any response to be 'coordinated' across the UK, it is the responsibility of each individual health service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 23:32, Utter Roaster said:

I love my mum to bits, and she's no Daily Heil reader, but over the Xmas hols, totally unprompted, she picked up the paper (i) and announced 'I'm sick of the sight of that bloody woman'. And to my shame, I fucking went off on one. Asked her if she'd rather see that c*** Johnson instead, and what did she expect as she *is* the most important politician in the country. Told her she'd obviously spent too much time listening to the fuckwit old biddies at the Rural.

She was somewhat taken aback, and hasn't said anything since... 

Probably bad form quoting your own post but, I phoned the old dear last night as I'm not allowed to go and see her, and she actually said 'I was really impressed with Nicola Sturgeon today, talked a lot of sense and without notes'. 

Any P&B doctors tell me if this is sudden onset dementia? Otherwise I need to keep her alive through this coronavirus shite so I can get her voting yes next time round.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally hold Our Nicola in a very high regard, but there is some kind of double standard going on here. She was determined the allegations against Salmond were "Not going to be swept under the carpet" but looks now as if she would be more than happy to see Calderwood's misdemeanours  treated that way.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I normally hold Our Nicola in a very high regard, but there is some kind of double standard going on here. She was determined the allegations against Salmond were "Not going to be swept under the carpet" but looks now as if she would be more than happy to see Calderwood's misdemeanours  treated that way.

They're hardly swept under the carpet, they're out there front and centre, and fully confessed to.

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They're hardly swept under the carpet, they're out there front and centre, and fully confessed to.

Nicola refused to answer the question as to whether she will remain in place or not.

I believe she has stepped down now, so its all endemic now, innit gov?

eta... Now realise she hasn't stepped down. She's just not going to do any more media briefings.

Pathetic.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

The CMO has rightly resigned/been dismissed for a clear case of 'don't do as I do do as I say' by visiting her holiday home twice, a clear fuckin disgrace.

What about Prince Charles leaving his main residence and flying on a commercial flight to Aberdeen so he could self isolate in his holiday home Birkhall, and on the way probably infecting the whole plane he was on plus his very large entourage.

Double standards and not a mention in the press anywhere.

We the public can't go out during the lockdown but a so called prince of the so called realm can do whatever he fuckin likes knowing full well the press won't dare comment on it.

Edited by SandyCromarty

41 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The CMO has rightly resigned/been dismissed for a clear case of 'don't do as I do do as I say' by visiting her holiday home twice, a clear fuckin disgrace.

What about Prince Charles leaving his main residence and flying on a commercial flight to Aberdeen so he could self isolate in his holiday home Birkhall, and on the way probably infecting the whole plane he was on plus his very large entourage.

We the public can't go out during the lockdown but a so called prince of the so called realm can do whatever he fuckin likes knowing full well the press won't dare comment on it.

Just a  wee bit of googling shows he travelled on the Sunday 23rd - i.e. just before the lockdown was announced on the Monday. On an RAF flight, so not so much a health risk. (But maybe a crap choice environmentally and financially). But if party orders are to deflect from Calderwood's duplicity, carry on...

21 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Just a  wee bit of googling shows he travelled on the Sunday 23rd - i.e. just before the lockdown was announced on the Monday. On an RAF flight, so not so much a health risk. (But maybe a crap choice environmentally and financially). But if party orders are to deflect from Calderwood's duplicity, carry on...

I don't think the two cases are comparable. 

But 'lockdown' or not, Charles left Highgrove already displaying symptoms. It was an act of immense stupidity that contradicted government guidance at the time. It does seem to have been glossed over.

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

He's the future king of England, mate...

He can do whatever the f**k he likes.

41 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I'm not deflecting from the CMO's actions, they were well out of order and she deserved to be sacked plus she should have been fined, and she was a government employee not an SNP member.

The intention of a lock down, in line with other countries,  officially started on the 23rd of March, it was well mooted before that.

And surprisingly Charles traveled on the same day it was announced, so no doubt he was forewarned of the lock down via the Privy Council, and decided to fly north with his entourage.

His intention was obviously clearly to escape to his isolated holiday home to reduce the risk as there is fuckin nothing going on on Deeside at this time of year.

There is one rule for the privileged and flagrant disregard of the general public by them, at the taxpayers cost this man commandeered an RAF flight, with an entourage, as he wanted to avoid the general public and risk contracting the virus on a commercial flight to Aberdeen. 

It may also have escaped your notice that as the NHS staff are crying out for virus testing kits this man had access to one.

If you wish to believe that these actions were creditable then I really do feel sorry for you.

Edited by SandyCromarty