Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Absolutely bossed it on Nicky Campbell's phone in this morning.
Even got in a dig about Corbyn losing his principles since he became leader, and a dig about how lucky Campbell will be to spend time with Farage tomorrow.
Would agree entirely with this. Strolled it, with even Nicky Campbell's weak trip up attempts barely bothering her. She has a natural way with the general public that no other politician has, not even the fabled Corbyn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2019 at 19:50, BucksburnDandy said:
On 02/12/2019 at 10:18, Mark Connolly said:
Absolutely bossed it on Nicky Campbell's phone in this morning.
Even got in a dig about Corbyn losing his principles since he became leader, and a dig about how lucky Campbell will be to spend time with Farage tomorrow.

Would agree entirely with this. Strolled it, with even Nicky Campbell's weak trip up attempts barely bothering her. She has a natural way with the general public that no other politician has, not even the fabled Corbyn.

Although it was always intended as a laugh, both my other half and I noticed how she looked the most comfortable on that Scotsquad Election Special whilst the other looked rather uncomfortable (Leonard the worst, Rennie less so).  She clearly has a relationship with people that other politicians struggle to match, with no need for the all too common 'keeping up appearances' act.

Worth watching on iPlayer if just for the 'bam or no bam' section.

Michael Gove?

Have you met him?

BAM!

... also Jackson Carlaw just stopping short of calling Master Boris a bam too.  :lol:

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 01/12/2019 at 10:00, welshbairn said:

I doubt more than a few angry twitterers inspired by Bathboy give a toss if a vanishingly small number of people wish to describe their gender as different from the sex they were born into. It's utterly bizarre that it's become a divisive issue in the SNP.

Proxy war for the upcoming Salmond case is probably part of it. The most positive thing about Sturgeon's resounding win yesterday is that it will hopefully put these c***s back in their box for a while. My MSP seemed pretty pissed off that they had shelved GRA reform and seemed to suggest that it would be back next year. A small issue for many, but imo, would do some measure of reassuring me that the SNP can still be a vehicle for progressive politics before independence.

49 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Sturgeon has played a blinder in this election, it's as simple as that!

She has.  That said I am disappointed that the SNP supported a GE rather than pushing for resolution of Brexit in the last Parliament.

She has.  That said I am disappointed that the SNP supported a GE rather than pushing for resolution of Brexit in the last Parliament.

Yup. Johnson rather got one up there.

What she’s managed to do is completely isolate the Alt Nat brigade, and fire-fight what could have become a real issue for the SNP.

I think the SNP realised that there was not going to be a Brexit resolution in that parliament. There wasn't enough support for a second referendum nor would there have ultimately been for Johnson's deal (yes it passed the second reading but it wasn't going to be voted through).

Where the SNP have been let down is Labour and the Lib Dems not being able to target the Remain vote in England properly. The Brexit Party standing aside in Tory seats was a predictable masterstroke for the Leave side who could put their differences aside for their cause. When it came to the Lib Dems stepping aside for Labour, their European results utterly deluded them into thinking some breakthrough was imminent.

Ultimately I cannot blame the SNP for supporting an election as the impasse had to be broken for some Scottish people to wake up to what is coming at them.

7 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think the SNP realised that there was not going to be a Brexit resolution in that parliament. There wasn't enough support for a second referendum nor would there have ultimately been for Johnson's deal (yes it passed the second reading but it wasn't going to be voted through).

Where the SNP have been let down is Labour and the Lib Dems not being able to target the Remain vote in England properly. The Brexit Party standing aside in Tory seats was a predictable masterstroke for the Leave side who could put their differences aside for their cause. When it came to the Lib Dems stepping aside for Labour, their European results utterly deluded them into thinking some breakthrough was imminent.

Ultimately I cannot blame the SNP for supporting an election as the impasse had to be broken for some Scottish people to wake up to what is coming at them.

We will have to agree to disagree.  The longer the previous Parliament continued the greater the pressure was on the Tories and Johnson in particular.

The horrendous outcome of this election was always a possibility and if Swinson in particular had not been so pig headed the last Parliament could have achieved more.

• 2 weeks later...