Krakow

ICTChris

I've been to Krakow. We did Auchwitz. We did it on the last day of our holiday.

I'd never say I enjoyed it but it's definitely somewhere I think everyone should visit.

I haven’t been to Auchwitz but did visit Dachau when visiting Munich. I do recommend going, it’s not a fun day out, but I don’t think that the history or significance of a place is equalled anywhere else I have been. 

In terms of Krakow itself, Oskar Schindler’s factory is there. The castle was worth visiting and there is a cracking cafe called Camelot which has excellent Perogi. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/poland/malopolska/krakow/nightlife/cafe-camelot/a/poi-dri/419815/360295

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I've been to Krakow. We did Auchwitz. We did it on the last day of our holiday.

I'd never say I enjoyed it but it's definitely somewhere I think everyone should visit.

I think this sums it up well.  We went there as well and the history is horrific, but I am glad I have seen it. 

The more people that are made aware of what happened in the likes of Auschwitz the better in order to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.   

Edited by paul wright scores

8 hours ago, Romeo said:

Not sure what to do regarding to his now the Tory c**t Shaaps has said Boone is going anywhere til we are all vacinated.

Well, Poland's vaccine rollout is among the best in the EU so far at least.

Standing in a gas chamber was a horrific moment and you can only imagine what went through these poor souls minds at the time.  Really if you go to Krakow you must visit Auschwitz and Birkenau, it really makes you think.  Cheer yourself up by doing the Salt Mine the next day.

Lots of great cheap bars just off the main square. Got into a discussion with some Jews one night and the old boy told us he had been in 6 or 7 camps and showed us the number tattoo on his wrist. After Auschwitz it was interesting to hear from someone who had lived through it.

• 7 months later...

I went 5 years ago and really enjoyed the trip. I went independently to Auschwitz on a public bus. It might have changed but if you were in before 10ish, you could look around own. After that time you were on a timed and guided visit. If you are into history, the Nazi HQ (and torture cells) are equally chilling and located 15 mins walk from the city in a building on edge of Kraków centre. There’s an old fashioned cafe bar just off main square which had the Free Polish resistance radio station based secretly upstairs.

The main square is large, beautifully laid out and has plenty of architecture, bars, restaurants, street stuff going on. I liked too the one hour classical music concerts in the small but very ornate churches on the square. 
The Jewish quarter is also worth a walk, especially for the market. Alternatively if it’s a lads’ trip, there’s plenty of bars, vodka bars and a ubiquitous British sports bar on the square and plenty of lapdancers if that’s your thing. 

On 04/10/2021 at 20:34, Mitch said:

Booked for January. Going to be stupidly cold, but going to go for it.

I went in January 2019 and it was fine - lots of snow but not really cold.  We did some of the local guided tours which were great. 

Make sure you try a zapiekanka, a type of Polish pizza. 

Avoid the cheap beer in those dirt cheap zloty bars in the city centre (there was a chain of about a dozen of them) as it is usually flat. Get the vodka (flavoured options available for the weak) and a slug of herring or another bar snack instead and treat it like a Polish version of tapas. 

If you don't mind either some pidgin English or butchering the Polish language yourself, this place in the Old Town is an excellent place for traditional Polish food and great pint of Zywiec as well. With locals in they'll be battering through their vodka selection from lunchtime as well so don't be shy on that front. 

Edited by vikingTON

• 11 months later...

I'm going next week for the Scotland game and I'm swithering about going to Auschwitz. Not the usual Scotland trip activity, but I have no idea if I'll ever be in Poland again so feel I should do it. 

The only problem is I get to Krakow the night before the game and leave fairly early the next morning. Is it feasible to get to and from the camps, do the tour(s) and still make the game (8.45pm kick-off)?

25 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'm going next week for the Scotland game and I'm swithering about going to Auschwitz. Not the usual Scotland trip activity, but I have no idea if I'll ever be in Poland again so feel I should do it. 

The only problem is I get to Krakow the night before the game and leave fairly early the next morning. Is it feasible to get to and from the camps, do the tour(s) and still make the game (8.45pm kick-off)?

Yeah, easily can be done. You could also throw in a tour of the Salt Mine during the same trip and still be back in time. If you book a tour as opposed to going off your own back you would get picked up about 9am, head to Auschwitz, do the tour, they then give you some lunch on the bus as you head to the Salt Mine then do the tour there and are normally back in Krakow for about 7-7.30.

On 07/10/2021 at 21:23, virginton said:

Avoid the cheap beer in those dirt cheap zloty bars in the city centre (there was a chain of about a dozen of them) as it is usually flat. Get the vodka (flavoured options available for the weak) and a slug of herring or another bar snack instead and treat it like a Polish version of tapas. 

If you don't mind either some pidgin English or butchering the Polish language yourself, this place in the Old Town is an excellent place for traditional Polish food and great pint of Zywiec as well. With locals in they'll be battering through their vodka selection from lunchtime as well so don't be shy on that front. 

What's its name?

On 25/09/2022 at 16:31, Karpaty Lviv said:

Going to be in Krakow just for an evening next month, any decent places to stay near the train station?

Depending on what you are looking for stayed in the Ibis which is 5 mins walk from the big shopping centre (Galleria Krakowska) railway station is at the back of that.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/pl/ibis-krakow-stare-miasto.en-gb.html?aid=356983&label=gog235jc-1DCAsotgFCGGliaXMta3Jha293LXN0YXJlLW1pYXN0b0geWANoUIgB

Yeah, easily can be done. You could also throw in a tour of the Salt Mine during the same trip and still be back in time. If you book a tour as opposed to going off your own back you would get picked up about 9am, head to Auschwitz, do the tour, they then give you some lunch on the bus as you head to the Salt Mine then do the tour there and are normally back in Krakow for about 7-7.30.

Went to Auschwitz yesterday. Earliest I could get picked up was 11 which meant I was back in the hotel for 7 (not ideal but made it with ease). Only issue was I got the biggest soaking of all time in Birkenau which also fucked my phone for a couple of hours so between drying off and praying my phone worked, it was one of the more stressful pre-game routines I've had.

• 6 months later...