Krakow

ICTChris

Just booked a few days in Krakow for July with my wife.  We are staying in a wee place in the Jewish quarter.

Planning a few days relaxing in the city.  I've bought a guide book but thought I'd use the far superior P&B hive knowledge.  Where are the best bars, restaurants, sights etc.  

A day each for the salt mine and Auschwitz.

For me the salt mines were about 3 hours too long and no escape :lol: Best just to get the train to Wieliczka which was only about 6 Zloty as far as I can remember. English spoken at the booking office but not on the train so our contact with the conductor was by hand gestures. 

For Auschwitz I'd get one of the many bus tours that are all about the same price. That way you get to Auschwitz and Birkenau which are about 3km apart. Some people go independently by train but I think it would be a lot of hassle. Quite a long day.

Slow bus from the airport to town is about 40 mins but very cheap. Loads of bars and restaurants all over, tried to stick to the local ones but can't remember them. Trams are good. Went in February though, snow on the ground but a very dry cold compared to Scotland. Wouldn't fancy July tbh :whistle

42 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

A day each for the salt mine and Auschwitz.

For me the salt mines were about 3 hours too long and no escape :lol: Best just to get the train to Wieliczka which was only about 6 Zloty as far as I can remember. English spoken at the booking office but not on the train so our contact with the conductor was by hand gestures. 

For Auschwitz I'd get one of the many bus tours that are all about the same price. That way you get to Auschwitz and Birkenau which are about 3km apart. Some people go independently by train but I think it would be a lot of hassle. Quite a long day.

Slow bus from the airport to town is about 40 mins but very cheap. Loads of bars and restaurants all over, tried to stick to the local ones but can't remember them. Trams are good. Went in February though, snow on the ground but a very dry cold compared to Scotland. Wouldn't fancy July tbh :whistle

There's another thread on this forum about Krakow (and Auschwitz) but I really enjoyed the train journey. You're right it's a long day though. If you get the official tour, it will take about 3.5 hours in total. 

If you are lucky you might be in the main square when the big local cycle ride happens. Think it happens once a month and is pretty mental with hundreds of folk cycling round the square.

There are loads of little places around the square for eating alfresco. Although if I went back, I would not have my meal at the edge of the eating area. Halfway through my steak dinner, I had to nip inside for a quick pee. When I came back out, my wife was pointing her knife at some old jakey and telling him to f**k off. Turns out he had asked if he could eat the rest of my dinner and made a grab for it over the barrier :lol:

An alternative full day trip would be Zakopane, the resort town on the Polish side of the Tatra mountains. A bus from Krakow is about 90 minutes to two hours each way, which looks about the same as it would be to get to Auschwitz. A very different experience of course. Mountain scenery from the town itself , some of the local highlander 'culture', crafts, foods etc. (made touristy to a wider Polish audience), the actual mountains and lakes would be a short further trip from the the resort centre. 

• 11 months later...

We had a great time in Krakow, it was lovely.  We were there during a heatwave though and my wife was pregnant at the time so we had to take it easy.  We didn't go to the salt mines as she didn't like the idea of being underground for that period while preggo.  We went to Auschwitz, which was an experience handled very well and I'm glad I did it.  She nearly passed out as it was so hot but made it to the end.

Mainly we just enjoyed mooching about the streets, stopping for coffee and/or a beer.  A fantastic city.  I don't recognise that building btw.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We had a great time in Krakow, it was lovely.  We were there during a heatwave though and my wife was pregnant at the time so we had to take it easy.  We didn't go to the salt mines as she didn't like the idea of being underground for that period while preggo.  We went to Auschwitz, which was an experience handled very well and I'm glad I did it.  She nearly passed out as it was so hot but made it to the end.

Mainly we just enjoyed mooching about the streets, stopping for coffee and/or a beer.  A fantastic city.  I don't recognise that building btw.

Nice and cool in the salt mines, she'd have been better off.

Was there about a month ago and it was fucking freezing.

The Salt mines were impressive, but got a bit boring towards the end. Worth a visit though.

Auschwitz is as horrific as you could possibly expect, humanity at its worst.

The city itself is great for wandering around, especially the Jewish quarter.

19 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

When we were there the receptionist in our hotel told us that it had been -30 that winter, a 60 degree turnaround from when we were there.

I love just wandering around foreign cities and Krakow is great for it.

20 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The Salt mines were impressive, but got a bit boring towards the end. Worth a visit though.

Auschwitz is as horrific as you could possibly expect, humanity at its worst.

The city itself is great for wandering around, especially the Jewish quarter.

Nothing was said about WW2 during our Salt mine tour, all about trouble with the Russians after, so when she asked if there were any questions I asked if the Germans used it for anything. A bit sheepishly she explained they had Jewish prisoners building parts for Messerschmitt.

Edited by welshbairn

• 1 year later...

Old thread but heading to Krakow for a couple of nights next week. Pushed for time (only really got one full day then another half day) so I think we're going to get a taxi to the salt mines in the morning we arrive and then head to the salt mines.

When I went to Warsaw, I found a few  pubs that were very well hidden based on some advice on here. Is there anything similar people know of in Krakow?

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Old thread but heading to Krakow for a couple of nights next week. Pushed for time (only really got one full day then another half day) so I think we're going to get a taxi to the salt mines in the morning we arrive and then head to the salt mines.

When I went to Warsaw, I found a few  pubs that were very well hidden based on some advice on here. Is there anything similar people know of in Krakow?

If you're looking for something other than bog standard local beers look up Omerta and CK Browar.