St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

Watched the highlights earlier today. It's been a long time since I disliked a Rovers player as much as I dislike Jordan Thompson. Swanning about the pitch like he's too good for this level despite the fact he's probably our worst player. Typified by him arguing with McManus about a free kick whilst St. Mirren are scoring a goal at the other end. Hides when we have the ball, doesn't do anything with it when he has it, gets robbed of possession far too easily. Not a Championship player, never will be. Cannot wait til the end of the season for a huge number of reasons, but not having to see him in a Rovers strip ever again is pretty high on that list.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. Was just having a chuckle at this myself earlier.
Who was it that said it? It was certainly a Morton fan. The charge levied at Mallan being that he scored one good goal against Dundee and has been living off the back of it ever since. :lol:

If memory serves me right i believe it was yon one who loves Alex Salmond drinking soup.

No doubt he's had dips in form and gets stick from our own fans but it's easy to forget he is still learning. Can't see us keeping him after the summer.

Something like 30 goals in just over 100 games is brilliant. Most of them are spectacular.

Thomson just looks like a cocky little shite. Thing is, I bet guys like him think they are made for life and that they will always be full time footballers.

I actually think a lot of what Hughes said is probably true. Just not his place to say that to the media.

Funniest part of yesterday was the guy booting the advertising board at 4-0, then trying desperately not to reveal how much pain he was in :lol:

Strange feeling though. Just getting up and walking. No real drama, no major shouts, little booing. Just quiet realisation that we are utterly utterly fucked.

58 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watched the highlights earlier today. It's been a long time since I disliked a Rovers player as much as I dislike Jordan Thompson. Swanning about the pitch like he's too good for this level despite the fact he's probably our worst player. Typified by him arguing with McManus about a free kick whilst St. Mirren are scoring a goal at the other end. Hides when we have the ball, doesn't do anything with it when he has it, gets robbed of possession far too easily. Not a Championship player, never will be. Cannot wait til the end of the season for a huge number of reasons, but not having to see him in a Rovers strip ever again is pretty high on that list.

Aside from the free-kick argument, you could quote this post almost Verbatim for Kyle Hutton.

Hutton is on a two year deal and I'd imagine we'll be aggressively hawking his services to several other clubs in the summer.

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Thomson just looks like a cocky little shite. Thing is, I bet guys like him think they are made for life and that they will always be full time footballers.

I actually think a lot of what Hughes said is probably true. Just not his place to say that to the media.

He reminded me of Tom Walsh and Ryan Hardie who we had earlier. I know Hardie has scored goals for you guys but him and Walsh were utter wage thief's for us who looked like they had never even been tackled during their time at Murray Park.

Does my nut in that Hardie still plays for the Rangers 21s whilst on loan at another club. Shows no respect at all for the club he's on loan to. Just expects to turn up on a Saturday. Wee dick.

Just now, Silvio said:

He reminded me of Tom Walsh and Ryan Hardie who we had earlier. I know Hardie has scored goals for you guys but him and Walsh were utter wage thief's for us who looked like they had never even been tackled during their time at Murray Park.

Does my nut in that Hardie still plays for the Rangers 21s whilst on loan at another club. Shows no respect at all for the club he's on loan to. Just expects to turn up on a Saturday. Wee dick.

TBF he played for us last mid-week against Hibs when his side were playing in the Youth Cup final.

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Funniest part of yesterday was the guy booting the advertising board at 4-0, then trying desperately not to reveal how much pain he was in :lol:

Strange feeling though. Just getting up and walking. No real drama, no major shouts, little booing. Just quiet realisation that we are utterly utterly fucked.

Utterly fucked indeed, but amazingly can still finish 8th. Which is just so fucking bizarre. Just. Does. Not. Compute. 

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I must say that Rovers have all the similar frailties that we had under Alex Rae. No direction no leaders and very little confidence. Looking from the outside I would say Locke has to take his share of the blame for taking on a side involved in last season's play off's to a relegation battle.

Yogi it appears took on the job to raise his profile after failing to land a gig south of the border. He might be regretting it now if yesterday's post match interview is a guide to his current attitude to the job.

He wasn't particularly good when I saw him for Airdrie last season. We signed McCrorie at the same time and played Airdrie in their respective first games. McCrorie was miles in front of him. Was surprised when Raith signed him.

On 4/28/2017 at 07:18, Poet of the Macabre said:

I was at the Falkirk game and can say definitively that's absolute shite. Mallan and McGinn couldn't stop giving the ball away, although the latter did score a peach in fairness.

So we had the bulk of the possession and created far more chances without our midfield dominating?

Ok...

20 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Is Mallan good enough defensively to play in a midfield 2 at a higher level or will be be more likely to be in behind the striker the further he goes?

Earlier this season, especially under Rae, I'd have said he needs to be in a 3, as he had always played in that for us with 1 up front. However, Jack Ross has had such an effect on him, coupled with playing alongside McGinn that I'd now say he can do it in a 2. His work rate has improved immeasurably, from something of a luxury player who wanted given the ball, to a player who will run 40 or 50 yards to close down, tracking back to win the ball.

He's now combining the huge talent he has with the hard work that is required to make the most of that talent. 

12 hours ago, Silvio said:

Nathan Flanagan, Jordan Stewart and Kalvin Orsi have been turning out for our under-20s while on loan at other clubs :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Earlier this season, especially under Rae, I'd have said he needs to be in a 3, as he had always played in that for us with 1 up front. However, Jack Ross has had such an effect on him, coupled with playing alongside McGinn that I'd now say he can do it in a 2. His work rate has improved immeasurably, from something of a luxury player who wanted given the ball, to a player who will run 40 or 50 yards to close down, tracking back to win the ball.

He's now combining the huge talent he has with the hard work that is required to make the most of that talent. 

I think he needs someone next to him who can do at that level what McGinn does for us, ie dictating the play, winning the ball back and drawing fouls to take the pressure off.

12 hours ago, Silvio said:

Wage thieves? Hardie - 3 goals, 1 assist in 8 starts for us. Walsh - 4 goals and 2 assists in 6 starts.

Stats can lie, but that suggests they contributed far more than many of the players who were permanently signed to the club in that time.

1 minute ago, irvine_buddie said:

I think he needs someone next to him who can do at that level what McGinn does for us, ie dictating the play, winning the ball back and drawing fouls to take the pressure off.

He just needs someone beside him who works as hard as he now does. McGinn has no doubt had a huge effect, but Mallan has been like a different player in terms of his workrate and ethos. He had Kyle Hutton alongside him early in the season, which had a horrific effect on both his form and morale.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

He just needs someone beside him who works as hard as he now does. McGinn has no doubt had a huge effect, but Mallan has been like a different player in terms of his workrate and ethos. He had Kyle Hutton alongside him early in the season, which had a horrific effect on both his form and morale.

Yeh it must be like night and day playing next to Kyle Hutton the first half of the season and McGinn the 2nd half of the season. He's a player who thrives on confidence and he was strolling around the park with a smile on his face on Saturday, fancy him to score again on Saturday as he'll be taking a pop whenever he gets the chance.

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

Yeh it must be like night and day playing next to Kyle Hutton the first half of the season and McGinn the 2nd half of the season. He's a player who thrives on confidence and he was strolling around the park with a smile on his face on Saturday, fancy him to score again on Saturday as he'll be taking a pop whenever he gets the chance.

Very similar to the Ayr game. Mallan had a spring in his step throughout, giving and going, some fantastic wee touches and the end product was there time and again.

Archived