Scottish Cup final 2017* Aberdeen vs Celtic

jagfox

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I live in Aberdeenshire now (not a patch on #perthshire) I'm now a short journey away from Aberdeen. If the Dons do the unthinkable on Saturday I can confirm that I will be getting on a bus to the city for the biggest perty since 1980 something. I have 0 (zero) friends in this shire so I will be going #bawsoot, travelling solo and getting stuck into the scenes. f**k it.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Because I live in Aberdeenshire now (not a patch on #perthshire) I'm now a short journey away from Aberdeen. If the Dons do the unthinkable on Saturday I can confirm that I will be getting on a bus to the city for the biggest perty since 1980 something. I have 0 (zero) friends in this shire so I will be going #bawsoot, travelling solo and getting stuck into the scenes. f**k it.

Parts of Aberdeenshire are simply glorious and a great place for bringing up weans and easily on a par with Perthshire.

I vaguely remember crying as a distraught seven year old watching the TV after the 1984 final when we lost 2-1, I wasnt in a much better mood after the penalties in 1990 so im looking for my own payback on Saturday.

I'm really looking forward to the game and the occasion, but I'm also trying to keep my expectations to a minimum this time. I got a bit carried away before the League Cup game, perhaps falling into the trap of underestimating how good Celtic were whilst simultaneously overestimating how well-placed we were to win that game. The feeling as the three goals went in without reply wasn't particularly nice. So going into this one with a more pragmatic mindset should slightly soften the blow if we are defeated, but also give an extraordinary high if we somehow do pull it off. 

Having said all that, I fully expect to be both predicting and expecting a big Dons triumph by Saturday morning. 

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I vaguely remember crying as a distraught seven year old watching the TV after the 1984 final when we lost 2-1, I wasnt in a much better mood after the penalties in 1990 so im looking for my own payback on Saturday.

Yeah it's really tough being a Celtic fan 

The day before the final anticipation is in full swing, really buzzing to see how the city is getting behind the team in a way it didn't in November. Even my normal pessimistic self has disappeared, goodness knows where or why. In November, I was very flat and pessimistic, this time, I don't know why but got a better feeling.

Team wise, the big debate is simply put Gashton or Union to start. In the end, I have plumped for Jack on the basis of Taylor losing two goals in the last two games against Celtic due to basic lack of concentration - we cannot afford that tomorrow. So team: Lewis; Logan, O'Connor, Reynolds, Considine; Jack, Shinnie; McGinn, McLean, Hayes; Rooney.

Performance wise, looking for a massive effort from Rooney, Hayes, McLean, Shinnie and Jack tomorrow, really need to work their socks off if we are to get anything out this game. Concentration is key defensively. Style of play wise, we need to be direct without being hoofball like, ball has to move as swiftly forward as it did at Ibrox.

And simply put, we need our big players to actually turn up tomorrow: McGinn, McLean, Jack & Hayes have all struggled against Celtic this season. Need them to produce otherwise it will be a long afternoon. That and Celtic to turn up with the same complacency as displayed on the Kerrydale Street forum, where we are essentially just cannon fodder for them.

Fancy it to end 2-1 to the Famous, Shinnie and Rooney, Griffiths for Celtic.

Archived