The Friendship Derby: Clyde vs Berwick

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Fisher said:

.... because Cowdenbeath will not lose to Elgin City on the final day if this means they will keep their Division 2 status... I predict... 

I meant why do you think Clyde and Berwick deserve to face oblivion ? 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sydney said:

I meant why do you think Clyde and Berwick deserve to face oblivion ? 

Neither are good enough to continue in the SPFL and better teams with better players and better management structures should deservedly replace both of them... although one of them will continue the struggle to remain in Division 2 for another year... 

If Cowdenbeath win next week vs Forfar, then even a win against berwick for us wouldn't guarantee our safety. That would leave us absolutely shitting it on the last day.

Really need Forfar to do the business for us!

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Fisher said:

Neither are good enough to continue in the SPFL and better teams with better players and better management structures should deservedly replace both of them... although one of them will continue the struggle to remain in Division 2 for another year... 

You don't really know what you're talking about do you ? I'll bet you've never seen many or indeed any Clyde, Berwick, Buckie or East Kilbride games to gauge the relative abilities of the players. Also, I'd be interested in hearing your views on the management structures of East Kilbride and Buckie and why these are more effective than those of Clyde and Berwick Rangers. 

Berwick play us on the last game of the season at home. We're now safe (hiya Clyde and Berwick, hiya pals!). Hmm.. seeing as we've given Clyde a lot of points this season perhaps it's time to do our pals down the A1 at favour... ;)

6 hours ago, sydney said:

You don't really know what you're talking about do you ? I'll bet you've never seen many or indeed any Clyde, Berwick, Buckie or East Kilbride games to gauge the relative abilities of the players. Also, I'd be interested in hearing your views on the management structures of East Kilbride and Buckie and why these are more effective than those of Clyde and Berwick Rangers. 

Mmmmm...I didn't actually say EK & BK's structures are more effective than CL & BW so no comment needed. 

Looking at Clyde's slow and painful demise from once a good, solid First Division team, season after season,  to now a team desperately trying to hang on by its fingernails to SPFL status I think ought to tell you something about how the Club has been and is operated. Relegation out of the SPFL almost seems inevitable as the next chapter in the Club's continued fall. Radical change is needed if this fate for a once proud Club is to be avoided....I'm not at all surprised that certain PT fans on P&B are as happy as "pigs in shit" to see Clyde's expiration from senior football. But then again, I don't know what I'm talking about... Jeremy F

10 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'd suggest Clyde play no midfield next week and play eight in defence and two up front.

Given our our missing midfield defensively and offensively it shouldn't make any difference to our tactics but may shore up the defence.

No midfield,  playing Scott McGlaughlin is the same thing.

No club deserves to go down just because of the way it's run by the owners/directors/charlatans in the boardroom, that's totally unfair on the supporters and loyal people who watch or have an interest in their club. I look at the demise of Leyton Orient and feel for their supporters for example.

It's sad to see Clyde down their with us minnows but that's what's happened since we opened up to relegation.

I repeat unless the Crombie coated numpties in the boardrooms of Scottish football get it into their heads that they are ALL vulnerable to a Clyde/Berwick/Cowden relegation dogfight and risk being replaced by the upstarts of the Non leagues,  Division 2 and 1 could look entirely different in 5-10 years time, 

On other matters yes I'd take gladly a point on Saturday 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Fisher said:

Mmmmm...I didn't actually say EK & BK's structures are more effective than CL & BW so no comment needed. 

Looking at Clyde's slow and painful demise from once a good, solid First Division team, season after season,  to now a team desperately trying to hang on by its fingernails to SPFL status I think ought to tell you something about how the Club has been and is operated. Relegation out of the SPFL almost seems inevitable as the next chapter in the Club's continued fall. Radical change is needed if this fate for a once proud Club is to be avoided....I'm not at all surprised that certain PT fans on P&B are as happy as "pigs in shit" to see Clyde's expiration from senior football. But then again, I don't know what I'm talking about... Jeremy F

You said that Clyde and Berwick should be replaced by teams with better management structures. Therefore, by implication, you considered that EK and Buckie have more effective management structures than Clyde and Berwick. 

Anyway, in terms of how Clyde has been operated, consider this. In being a good First Division team and striving to make the SPL, Clyde's previous 'regime' built up huge debts. In the last decade or so, the club has lived within its means while at the same time attempting to pay off the debt built up by the previous 'management structure'. Thankfully, the debt has recently been settled, but the legacy of the last few years has been poor on field performance as we've had little or no money to pay players (contrary to popular belief, Clyde have in recent years had one of the lowest player budgets in League 2). Now, if the club taking responsibility for past mismanagement and attempting to operate within its means constitutes poor management, I'd be very interested in hearing what the alternatives might be. We might have attempted the Sevco approach, but of course that wouldn't have worked because we wouldn't have had the SPFL and the SFA (and indeed pretty much every other club in Scottish football) bending over backwards to ensure any Phoenix club be immediately reinstated within the football league. 

You said that Clyde and Berwick should be replaced by teams with better management structures. Therefore, by implication, you considered that EK and Buckie have more effective management structures than Clyde and Berwick. 
Anyway, in terms of how Clyde has been operated, consider this. In being a good First Division team and striving to make the SPL, Clyde's previous 'regime' built up huge debts. In the last decade or so, the club has lived within its means while at the same time attempting to pay off the debt built up by the previous 'management structure'. Thankfully, the debt has recently been settled, but the legacy of the last few years has been poor on field performance as we've had little or no money to pay players (contrary to popular belief, Clyde have in recent years had one of the lowest player budgets in League 2). Now, if the club taking responsibility for past mismanagement and attempting to operate within its means constitutes poor management, I'd be very interested in hearing what the alternatives might be. We might have attempted the Sevco approach, but of course that wouldn't have worked because we wouldn't have had the SPFL and the SFA (and indeed pretty much every other club in Scottish football) bending over backwards to ensure any Phoenix club be immediately reinstated within the football league. 

I give up if you think the club has been run well over the last 5 years then can you please switch off the light when you leave Broadwood on Saturday

Lowest budget [emoji23]

1 hour ago, dougster said:

No club deserves to go down just because of the way it's run by the owners/directors/charlatans in the boardroom, that's totally unfair on the supporters and loyal people who watch or have an interest in their club. I look at the demise of Leyton Orient and feel for their supporters for example.

It's sad to see Clyde down their with us minnows but that's what's happened since we opened up to relegation.

I repeat unless the Crombie coated numpties in the boardrooms of Scottish football get it into their heads that they are ALL vulnerable to a Clyde/Berwick/Cowden relegation dogfight and risk being replaced by the upstarts of the Non leagues,  Division 2 and 1 could look entirely different in 5-10 years time, 

On other matters yes I'd take gladly a point on Saturday 

If news reaches the players that Forfar are winning at Cowdenbeath on Saturday, we could end up with a West Germany v Austria situation with the players playing out time without a shot at goal. Point each, big sigh of relief from all in attendance and home happy. Not that I've anything against Cowdenbeath btw. 

I suspect though that one of us might be going into the final game with us biting our finger nails. And we're away at Montrose and without an away win since September :unsure2:

13 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'd suggest Clyde play no midfield next week and play eight in defence and two up front.

Given our our missing midfield defensively and offensively it shouldn't make any difference to our tactics but may shore up the defence.

That's effectively what we did yesterday and look where it got us.

Make no mistake, we need to win this game and win it convincingly.

We need an attacking midfield to support the two front men and I might even think about Goodwillie and Peaso up front with Gormley just behind them. If Johnston's fit get him on for his pace.

Set ourselves up as we did yesterday and we are in the playoffs.

1-0 Berwick win please
Edinburgh have nothing to play for now
Montrose still do
Although we are still strong favourites for last place due to us not getting rid of ???? much earlier [emoji26]

If Montrose win next week they will go into the final game against Clyde not needing a win. Perhaps they'll rest players before the playoff games.
I'm clutching at any straw available

If we go to Montrose needing a win then we are as well chucking it and them putting another 8 past us. We have the biggest load of shitebags with zero guts who have the audacity to pull on a jersey with supporters names on them. Get every single one of them to f**k during summer, regardless what league we end up in. 

As for next week, it all comes down to who wants it more. And it won't be fucking us.

Archived