General Election Data

Reluctant Hero

On 5/14/2017 at 22:24, MarkoRaj said:

Pretty sure that's him. His twitter was here a wee while ago

It is, or at least that's the pic everyone was tying him to a while back. He looks just as much of a fanny as I expected tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit bored this morning so I’ve created a visual that shows the majorities in each Scottish Seat from smallest majority to largest.  If you hover over each bar, it gives you more information on the constituency.  The graph below the first one has the same constituency order, but this time the size of the bar shows the majority on the basis of percentage.

Link to visual 1

The next visual shows the constituencies in order of majority again, but this time the top graph is coloured by the party that came second.  The bottom graph shows the turnout in each constituency.

Link to visual 2

And this visual has a raft of election info from past elections plus a list of the candidates in each constituency for next Thursday.

Link to election info

14 minutes ago, Reluctant Hero said:

I was a bit bored this morning so I’ve created a visual that shows the majorities in each Scottish Seat from smallest majority to largest.  If you hover over each bar, it gives you more information on the constituency.  The graph below the first one has the same constituency order, but this time the size of the bar shows the majority on the basis of percentage.

Link to visual 1

The next visual shows the constituencies in order of majority again, but this time the top graph is coloured by the party that came second.  The bottom graph shows the turnout in each constituency.

Link to visual 2

And this visual has a raft of election info from past elections plus a list of the candidates in each constituency for next Thursday.

Link to election info

Excellent work! The first one is a stark reminder of how far the Tory vote has to come to get second place. I'm hopeful that Corbyn's resurgence will sway a few reds to hang around for a bit thus diluting the Tory effort. The only party likely to maintain performance is the SNP. If all that works out, I wouldn't be surprised if the SNP gain on the night and the Tories lose. 

19 minutes ago, Reluctant Hero said:

Link to visual 1

Link to visual 2

Link to election info

That's cool - well done.

Excellent data presentation RH, thanks :thumsup2

If you get bored again, one possible additional presentation would be to include a stacked bar showing all parties (either votes or vote share).  That would make it fairly easy to see which constituencies could change as a result of tactical voting, and which are effectively safe despite having small majorities.

Link to visual 1

Link to visual 2

Link to election info

Excellent, thank you. I actually hadn't known the SNP had been second here. Hopefully unseat Ian Murray this time around.

On 5/31/2017 at 12:38, Crossbill said:

Excellent data presentation RH, thanks :thumsup2

If you get bored again, one possible additional presentation would be to include a stacked bar showing all parties (either votes or vote share).  That would make it fairly easy to see which constituencies could change as a result of tactical voting, and which are effectively safe despite having small majorities.

Don't know if this is what you were thinking of!

Obviously I couldn't get all constituencies on the one page, but if you look on the menu on the right hand side, you can toggle between Pages which shows different constituencies

Link to visual

I have included SNP, Greens and SSP in the Nationalist vote - everyone else is assumed to be Unionist.  

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:40, Reluctant Hero said:

Link to visual 1

Link to visual 2

Link to election info

Fascinating for electoral geeks like me . With time on my hands it will be interesting to see what actually happens by June 9th unless Ruth has already sampled the postal votes.

Alright guys, I promise I won’t bore you anymore after this post lol, but thought these new graphs were interesting to look at.  I have added in the estimated declaration times for each constituency based on  the Press Association info, so if you hover over each bar, you will see the times in the box that appears.  However, from memory, I am not sure how reliable these times were after you got past one o’clock.

The first graph shows the top 40 marginal Tory seats in order of slimmest majority.  I thought this was interesting as Labour really need to pick most of these off if Comrade Corbyn is going to seize power!  You can see that the earliest ones to look out for are Vale of Clywd, Bury North and Thurrock.  These are all expected to declare at around 02.00.  If Tories retain all of these, I’m thinking it is all over for Corbyn and Co.

Tory Marginals

The next graph shows the top 40 marginal Labour seats.  If the Tories start picking these off, it’ll be May returning to Downing St (until the Tories kick her out themselves to appoint Boris, in the not too distant future).

Labour Marginals

Finally, the last graph shows all the seats in the UK and their majorities, coloured by the winning party in 2015.  If you hover over each bar, it will give you additional info.  Since there are so many, some of the headings for constituency name are missing, but if you hover over the bar, it will give you this info in the box that appears.  Since there are so many constituencies, they have been categorized into “Regions” and you can toggle between the different regions by the menu down the right hand side.

All Seats

Although I am confident all these figures are accurate, this has been thrown together in a small space of time, so if you are using this info for anything other than fun, make sure you verify the info with other sources.

Enjoy the election guys, it’ll be at least another year until the next one lol

If anyone can bring themselves to look, I have updated this model with the 2017 election data.  In the model, there was previously a graph for postal votes, but I have got rid of this and replaced it with a graph of number of votes per party over the previous four elections.

Link to data

The initial screen shows the picture for the whole of Scotland, but you can get the info on individual constituencies by clicking on the relevant constituency on the menu down the right hand side.

One thing the model doesn’t show is the many levels of f***ing irony that was contained in this election.  The Tories getting into Downing Street as a result of the Scottish vote being top of the list!

Archived