New clubs in the East of Scotland

On 18/03/2022 at 01:21, Robert James said:

Yes Duns are the obvious choice for an additional border club in the EoSL., 

Outsiders could be Selkirk Vics who have strengthened in recent years, and could be looking to fill the void left when Selkirk FC folded.

Interestingly Eyemouth United are not competing in the Border League this season, but there is an amateur club : Eyemouth United Amateurs FC ,who are keeping football alive in the town (as a possible successor/phoenix club ?).

The setup at Duns is a great credit to the guys involved. Terrific facilities, nice stand, raised viewing terrace, changing rooms and other facilities are 1st class. The playing surface also looks to be one of the  the r better ones that I’ve seen.

Very well done to the Duns guys. A real transformation. 

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Talking about institutions - what are football facilities like at St Andrews and Napier universities? Both field BUCS teams. (Queen's Margarets don't).

St Andrews University have superb sports facilities, Dundee United used to train there, maybe still do. There's no recognisable ground as such though, just sports centre, playing fields, running track and astro pitches, a bit like Edinburgh University before East Peffermill and Garscube currently.

Edited by Cyclizine

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Letham was the strangest case of an applicant being rejected in recent times. They landed on their feet OK, but if concerns over their ground rather than distance from the Lothians was the reason for the knock back, successful applicants are likely to be few and far between from now on.

I think you've been told numerous times it was nothing to do with them being from Perth, their ground did not meet the requirements.  3g cages don't tick the boxes, nothing strange about that.

Edited by Burnieman

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

...3g cages don't tick the boxes...

...says the Blackburn United fan and former official. The grounds of Thornton Hibs, Kirkcaldy YM, Rosyth and Inverkeithing HS didn't meet regulations either. The difference is they were given a grace period after entry to get it fixed.

What is the problem?

Letham stated that they were very keen to leave the Amateurs which they have dominated for years. They have managed to step into Senior football sooner rather than later because the Midlands League were prepared to accept their situation. Good luck to them.

The time it will take to get the proposed new facilities is, as yet, not known. Three years was mentioned and let's hope it is as soon as that but when dealing with fund raising and getting new facilities built there can be significant delays. 

The only point that was being made was that if facilities need to be acceptable at the time of entry in an EoS context, successful applicants could be few and far between over the next few years. Duns are the only obvious one at the moment but that would be a case of a club returning to the league who had done all that work previously rather than a new one that still needs to do so.

On 19/03/2022 at 12:43, LongTimeLurker said:

...says the Blackburn United fan and former official. The grounds of Thornton Hibs, Kirkcaldy YM, Rosyth and Inverkeithing HS didn't meet regulations either. The difference is they were given a grace period after entry to get it fixed.

What relevance does your first sentence even have? remind us again of your credentials........

Providing a grace period doesn't always work and clubs can still be stuck in limbo after it expires eg Rosyth, and kicking them out of the league isn't an easy decision to take either.    I would therefore assume there have been lessons learned with regard to grace periods, and a tougher stance taken on whether a ground is upto scratch or needs a lot of work, Letham fell into the latter.  A sensible position to adopt.

.......or we could believe your conspiracy theory that the EoS Board have taken a dislike to Perth 🙄

Edited by Burnieman

Despite now having excellent facilities at New Hawthorn Park, I'd imagine the reason for Duns not playing EoS senior football remains the same. 

Like most Borders clubs, players were not interested in travelling lengthy distances to play matches hence their return to localised amateur participation. 

Unless the EoS league attaches a Southern or Borders section to its bottom tier then I don't see that changing. 

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^Blackburn United have shown how a 3G cage type setup can be brought up to entry level licensing standards. I will reiterate that my original point was only that if grounds now need to be acceptable at time of entry new clubs are likely to be few and far between.

Amazing, considering the new ground had a grass pitch for the first two seasons.  It's not a 3g cage you clown.

2 hours ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

Despite now having excellent facilities at New Hawthorn Park, I'd imagine the reason for Duns not playing EoS senior football remains the same. 

Like most Borders clubs, players were not interested in travelling lengthy distances to play matches hence their return to localised amateur participation. 

Unless the EoS league attaches a Southern or Borders section to its bottom tier then I don't see that changing. 

Is that a unique circumstance for Borders clubs?   I don't think we're ever likely to see a regional Borders section of the EoS, but perhaps once the new divisions settle down then the Third Division may be more attractive with the likes of Tweedmouth, Hawick, Ormiston, Peebles down in the lower reaches.

7 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Amazing, considering the new ground had a grass pitch for the first two seasons.  It's not a 3g cage you clown.

^^^lacks the social skills to be able to deal with people who disagree with him in a reasonable manner without becoming personally abusive. Blackburn United's ground is a prime example of how you can combine a 3G community sports hub with an EoS ground. Letham appear to have aspirations to do something similar.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^lacks the social skills to be able to deal with people who disagree with him in a reasonable manner without becoming personally abusive. Blackburn United's ground is a prime example of how you can combine a 3G community sports hub with an EoS ground. Letham appear to have aspirations to do something similar.

When dealing with utter morons who continually espouse the same nonsense conspiracy theories, misinformation and lies, and who has been continually shown up in the past as a clown then, you'll be referred to as a clown.  I'm embarrassed for you.

3g cages aren't built with grass pitches. The new ground was never intended to have a 3g pitch, but now it has.  Now, off you pop. Clownshoes.

Edited by Burnieman

^^^again with the complete lack of basic social skills. Winding things back to what I actually posted about can anyone think of a potential applicant club other than Duns that have a ground available that is not currently being used by an EoS club that would meet the EoS ground requirements in time for next season?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^again with the complete lack of basic social skills. Winding things back to what I actually posted about can anyone think of a club other than Duns that have a ground available that is not currently being used by an EoS club that would meet the EoS ground requirements in time for next season?

You've been pulled up for talking pish about another club, and implying that the EoS had excluded Letham due to them being from Perth, so wind your neck in ^^^^^vvvvvvv^^^^^^^vvvvvvvv

Edited by Burnieman

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^again with the complete lack of basic social skills. Winding things back to what I actually posted about can anyone think of a potential applicant club other than Duns that have a ground available that is not currently being used by an EoS club that would meet the EoS ground requirements in time for next season?

Doesn't really matter. No one would have been suggesting Edinburgh South or Edinburgh College because no one knew they lined up groundshares. 

Seemed strange that Letham were rejected by the EOSL when their facilities are every bit as good as those at Craigroyston, Rosyth, Leith Athletic etc.

Still they ended up at Tier 6 in the Midland League as opposed to Tier 8 in the EOSL.  Might well be a Tier above Blackburn next season.

A while back someone asked if there were any towns without teams in the East of Scotland League.  I thought Kinross, Portobello, North Berwick and Gorebridge could rustle up a few hundred supporters each if they had teams involved.  Maybe an Ochils Hillfoots team, and maybe Bayside FC too (if they could oust the Swifts, that is).  I was also thinking of Leven because there's a decent size population and they'll be easier to reach with the new rail line next year, but I suppose that's East Fife territory.

Sorry to interrupt.