New clubs in the East of Scotland

21 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dalgety Bay and Inverkeithing near enough meet, and Hillfield is actually a part of Dalgety Bay.

Close, but you've got mixed up with Hillend ;)

Anyone replacing LTHV at Saughton?

6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

This is the sensible approach. I was surprised to read that the WoS will point-blank refuse entry to any clubs wanting to ground share though. I can’t see the logic in this. As long as clubs aren’t taking the piss, then I really don’t see the problem... maybe Letham should’ve joined up with one of the other Perth teams until they got their place sorted if they were serious about joining. My personal suspicion is that they probably didn’t fancy being stuck in a league full of West Lothian teams for 2-3 seasons though

Given one of the new WOS clubs are sharing with Renfrew then I highly doubt that's the case!

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Close, but you've got mixed up with Hillend ;)

Fair enough. Having searched there is Hillside Avenue in Dalgety Bay! Hillside, Hillfield, Hillend...

To confuse me further I understand Rosyth once moved to Ballast Bank from Cowdenbeath while called Dunfermline? Fife, eh...

12 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Given one of the new WOS clubs are sharing with Renfrew then I highly doubt that's the case!

I can’t pull the quote by parkcirus from the West of Scotland forum but it’s there under the New Clubs in the WoS thread about no more groundshares...

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

I can’t pull the quote by parkcirus from the West of Scotland forum but it’s there under the New Clubs in the WoS thread about no more groundshares...

This statement here:

On 26/05/2021 at 22:06, parkcircus said:

If say 6 of the 9 clubs pass the AGM and there’s not enough new clubs then they’d have to go amateur or take some time out until they have a fit ground. We’ve previously said we won’t allow ground sharing clubs to get a criteria, maybe that would change but I doubt it.

I agree it's shortsighted to ban groundsharing. Yes, there is a balance to be had in terms of clubs gallivanting across the country season-by-season, but so long as clubs have secure tenancies, I don't see the problem. Land is finite and expensive and grounds expensive to maintain.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough. Having searched there is Hillside Avenue in Dalgety Bay! Hillside, Hillfield, Hillend...

To confuse me further I understand Rosyth once moved to Ballast Bank from Cowdenbeath while called Dunfermline? Fife, eh...

Did you ever go to Ballingry Rovers ground? It’s three villages away from the place. Lochores ground was nearer to Ballingry.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Think they were just Jubilee Athletic at that point and if they were ever referred to as Dunfermline it was a Glasgow Rangers type thing done by the media rather than the club itself but it's been a while.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

They were Jubilee Athletic formed from a Dunfermline supporters club.

They were quite nomadic also playing in Crossford and as you say Central Park for a few years in the late 60s.

They then spent many years at Ballast Bank in Inverkeithing before a a spell at Pitreavie in Dunfermline then Rosyth when they revived the name of the old junior club Rosyth Recreation.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dalgety Bay and Inverkeithing near enough meet, and Hillfield is actually a part of Dalgety Bay.

I think AuldHeid needs to draw a distinction between clubs careening around the countryside trying to find a new home every few years... a criticism that can be levelled at BSCG (Ashfield > Maryhill > Alloa?), Edusport (Hamilton Palace > Annan > Bothwellhaugh?), or even Syngenta (Grangemouth > Dunipace > Little Kerse > Stenhousemuir?)... and thinking there needs to be 2 different licensed grounds in towns like Stirling or Bo'ness, or a dozen in Edinburgh.

It's perfectly sensible for the likes of Edinburgh City + Leith, Boroughmuir + Tynecastle, Falkirk + East Stirlingshire, Heriot-Watt Uni + Edinburgh College, and so on to share facilities.

Only oddity among those admitted to EOSL has really been Edinburgh South who've chosen to share out at Dalkeith. However they plan to develop somewhere like Fernieside (IIRC).

Hillfield is an area of Inverkeithing where Swifts originally played.

On 24/05/2021 at 20:12, Spyro said:

Where do you warm up for the 7’s?!

Anyway, day ruined now...

Back on topic, I very much doubt we will see any new teams from the borders anytime soon, not even a Selkirk revival unfortunately 

If in the future, the EoSL decides to regionalise its lowest Tier, there may be renewed interest in clubs like Duns, Eyemouth, Selkirk, Kelso, Melrose,  (re)joining the pyramid, but I agree that this is unlikely in the short/medium term.

This is a shame as watching border football, and visiting these towns, is always is enjoyable experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 13:57, LongTimeLurker said:

It's Hillend that's next to Dalgety Bay.

Bit late here but didn't realise they had moved until watching highlights last night, The Hillend Tavern is a great wee pub 10 minutes from the leisure centre.

As much as I'm disappointed they have left "The Bally" I'm pleased to see just how ambitious the team is, the facility it decent, I know Arbroath used to train there. I hope they keep Inverkeithing in their name but Dalgety Bay is the 8th biggest town in Fife, almost twice the size of Kelty, a name change to tap into that market wouldn't be the worst idea. 

As has been mentioned before on here, Hillfield is an area of Inverkeithing, there is a large playing field there where the club started, initially known as Blue Brazil. It it wasn't slopped it would have been a great place for a wee football ground

On 14/07/2021 at 13:55, Torpar said:

Bit late here but didn't realise they had moved until watching highlights last night, The Hillend Tavern is a great wee pub 10 minutes from the leisure centre.

As much as I'm disappointed they have left "The Bally" I'm pleased to see just how ambitious the team is, the facility it decent, I know Arbroath used to train there. I hope they keep Inverkeithing in their name but Dalgety Bay is the 8th biggest town in Fife, almost twice the size of Kelty, a name change to tap into that market wouldn't be the worst idea. 

As has been mentioned before on here, Hillfield is an area of Inverkeithing, there is a large playing field there where the club started, initially known as Blue Brazil. It it wasn't slopped it would have been a great place for a wee football ground

There's got to be a marketing opportunity there.

On 14/03/2021 at 00:49, Eednud said:

Not sure best place to post this so here’s as good as any. Didn’t he also spit the dummy a few years back? https://scottishpyramidnews.yolasite.com

"Time to say goodbye ..

due to continued failure of Holyrood, to deal with the Scottish Football shambles 

(and their own), we have no options left but to stop publishing and supporting the game. We are filling out our postal vote ... and sending it to Santa ..

We will probably be in Algarve or Brazil enjoying the sun and a few good pints .. 

trying to stop laughing at the utter clowns left behind in Scotland .. Hopefully we 

have moved football on a bit, within reach of democracy and proper organisation. 

.. but under the Holyrood-Hampden clowns and silly little brain-dead clubs .. 

would not bet on that .. Thanks to everyone who did their bit for the cause .."

Stepping away seems to have lasted less than 4 months :) Still a good place for fixtures and results. As well as quality snippets like this:

Joining `fake pyramid` this year are (still) Junior regions North and 
Midland - ostensibly, aiming for
 a really stoopid play-off to get into 
the dreadful Highland Leagueas down south - a load of poor clubs 
who have never had to compete for 
their dinner. Now they do it seems. 
But weak SPFL clubs will still be secure for far too long - a situation 
that damages our game immensely, 
as does silly Junior Cup above.

11 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Slightly off the mark here but is it possible for a club to go from say the old Juniors, up to the spfl prem - groundsharing all the way ? Need a bigger ground, go somewhere else etc.Only a thought,regarding the nomad clubs. 

Yes.   Tho it probably wouldn’t take that many changes of ground.   There’s only 2 stages that require a significant step up in facilities,  from EoS prem to LL,  you require a entry license,  and that will get you up to league 1(with minor lux differences in floodlights from tier 5 to league 2).   Then from championship you need a bronze license (tho that’s not strictly enforced).  Only issues after that are if you end up playing European football. 

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Stepping away seems to have lasted less than 4 months :) Still a good place for fixtures and results. As well as quality snippets like this:

Disappointed the link doesn't work :(

On 29/05/2021 at 06:35, patriot1 said:

Did you ever go to Ballingry Rovers ground? It’s three villages away from the place. Lochores ground was nearer to Ballingry.

😄😄 I know some bowling clubs with similar oddities. London Rd bowling club in Edin is nowhere near London Rd,,,,, its in Porty. However there is a bowling club in London Road - but its called Hillside, Confusing or what??