New clubs in the East of Scotland

Now that Bo'ness Utd has been awarded its SFA club licence, promotion to the Lowland League should be a formality for the EoSL champions.      But is it ?
With no Club 42 play-off, champions Kelty Hearts will remain in the Lowland League for next season. Furthermore, the SLFL has already confirmed that bottom club Vale of Leithen will NOT be relegated to the EoSL. 
So, will the SLFL accept BU's promotion, which given the above situation about Kelty and Vale,  would mean that the Lowland League will have 17 clubs in 2020/21.
As yet, I haven't heard/read, that BU's promotion has been agreed, nor whether the Lowland will approve a 17 club league for 2020/21. Apologies, if I have missed this confirmation.

The Lowland League Twitter account put a meesage up on May 16th saying the BU's are promoted "subject to SFA approval". Going to go with a 17 team league. The image below was also on the tweet [emoji106]20200627_144744.jpeg

Thanks for clearing that up. No shock on who it would be creating an unnecessary talking point on here over something that was settled weeks ago.

Now all that remains to be cleared up on the BUs being promoted is the starting date on the rubber stamp on SFA membership. Last year for Bonnyrigg Rose and co it was the date of the 2019 SFA AGM. There is no reason to believe it won't be the same scenario this year for the six clubs that are joining in 2020.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

9 hours ago, Swifty said:

You'll notice a lack of congrats etc for inverkeithing for the same scenario, poor relatives n all that...

I don't think IHS or the EoS have made a proper statement to focus congratulations around. Otherwise i'm sure there would have been more by now. Most of the Bo'ness congrats have followed on from the SFA licencing announcement and statements made by the Lowland League.

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2020 at 10:33, Robert James said:

Four EoSL applicants from Fife, as above.

So who are the mystery fifth club referred to by BM ?  My 'wild' guess, is Livingston United, unless BM is referring to Luncarty ???

Back in February this year, I made a "wild" prediction (as above)  that Livingston United would apply to join the EoSL for 2020/21.  It is a pity that this club submitted its application until too late, after the EoSL closing date. Apparently owing to an 'administrative' problem.

Assuming (as anticipated) LU re-apply next season, this could be the catalyst for a few, or most, of the other juniors to follow suit.   This forum isn't dead yet !

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

• 4 months later...

Suggestions that it might be more than just Livingston United considering joining the EOS - it could in fact be all of the remaining West Lothian juniors. Presumably the only question marks would be over the four new clubs - Syngenta (what ground would they use and would they turn up to a meeting?), Bo'ness United Junior (needs a name change IMO), Sauchie CFC (would a reserve team be allowed?) and Linlithgow CFC (will they return next season?).

The next issue would be, should the EOS go to a Second and Third Division (14 teams each), Second Division split into north and south (this one is tricky as there's an imbalance of clubs to the north/west) or Second Division conferences to set up a Third Division for the following season (or go regional once some WL clubs get moved up)?

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Suggestions that it might be more than just Livingston United considering joining the EOS - it could in fact be all of the remaining West Lothian juniors. Presumably the only question marks would be over the four new clubs - Syngenta (what ground would they use and would they turn up to a meeting?), Bo'ness United Junior (needs a name change IMO), Sauchie CFC (would a reserve team be allowed?) and Linlithgow CFC (will they return next season?).

The next issue would be, should the EOS go to a Second and Third Division (14 teams each), Second Division split into north and south (this one is tricky as there's an imbalance of clubs to the north/west) or Second Division conferences to set up a Third Division for the following season (or go regional once some WL clubs get moved up)?

Pretty sure it’s been agreed this season to be the last year of conferences.   I think regional is more appropriate at tier 8.  It makes a link up with amateurs easier.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Syngenta seem to be playing at grangemouth stadium just now

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Pretty sure it’s been agreed this season to be the last year of conferences.   I think regional is more appropriate at tier 8.  It makes a link up with amateurs easier.

Yes, they decided on Premier-First-Second. Though if you add another 8-12 teams at the bottom then you need to do something instead of running with those 25-29 teams.

If you do Second and Third Divisions, you'll have the worst EOS teams (Eyemouth, Tweedmouth etc) up against the WL ex-juniors. Second Division conferences would sort the teams out into tier 8/9 quicker. Hopefully if there is to be one final movement from the Juniors it's soon, so the various scenarios can be created allowing the EOS clubs to decide.

As it stand regional would look like this - four teams from N/W would need to move over.

North/West South/East
Rosyth Coldstream
Dunipace Dalkeith Thistle
St Andrews United Arniston Rangers
Kirkcaldy & Dysart Ormiston
Lochgelly Albert Tweedmouth Rangers
Lochore Welfare Preston Athletic
Stirling University reserves Hawick Royal Albert United
Syngenta Eyemouth United
Bo'ness United Junior Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare
Armadale Thistle Peebles Rovers
West Calder United  
Fauldhouse United  
Whitburn Juniors  
Stoneyburn  
Harthill Royal  
Bathgate Thistle  
Livingston United  
Pumpherston  

I don't see the EoSFL relegating anyone futher than the new Second Division to balance out the potential numbers. Regionalising has also been something they've avoided. So i can see Conferences in the Second Division if they get more than can be contained in a single division.

Beyond that its not really up to them to regionalise at their bottom tier unless it makes sense for them. 

Tayport chairman David Baikie on Down the Divisions podcast saying that if the Juniors don't enter the pyramid system at the end of this season, Tayport will join the EOS.

From 18 minutes, and then at 22 min. https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-94t7x-c713219

"We feel we have to go into the EOS or into the pyramid system for the start of next season"

Tayside teams apparently trying to negotiate a Midlands league (covering Fife, Perthshire, Tayside) as one of four LL feeders.

No chance the WoS would agree to that last bit if there is still only going to be one playoff decided promotion place to the LL and highly doubtful that the EoS would, so that's probably as good as saying that Tayport will be in the EoS next season. Guess tier 8 entry is an easier pill for Tayport to swallow given they are south of the Club 42 boundary, which may or may not have been an obstacle previously for others in the east region north (Scone Thistle excepted).

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Interesting.

The LL probably need less feeder leagues rather than more. Also, all of Fife are already EoS members.

Before anything else i dont imagine the EOS keen on being ripped apart after finally settling into a proper structure. 

If all this is just the juniors talking amongst themselves still, its all pointless anyway. 

I was about to say, who is facilitating these alleged discussions. I can't imagine the EoS or Fife clubs want to negotiate about this, and creating a further feeder when the long term aim should be to integrate the SoS with WoS and reduce the feeder leagues to two with auto promotion.

Some clubs giving their mind a treat when their focus should be on how to integrate with the North Juniors / HL.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I was about to say, who is facilitating these alleged discussions. I can't imagine the EoS or Fife clubs want to negotiate about this, and creating a further feeder when the long term aim should be to integrate the SoS with WoS and reduce the feeder leagues to two with auto promotion.

Some clubs giving their mind a treat when their focus should be on how to integrate with the North Juniors / HL.

With the EOS likely having March 31st as a deadline for applications, most of this will be settled in the next 3 months. 

Finally... Touch wood 😁

10 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

...Some clubs giving their mind a treat when their focus should be on how to integrate with the North Juniors / HL.

In the podcast Baikie specifically mentions that the HL "dinnae want them" where the Dundee clubs are concerned. The only place where it gets talked about as a serious option is on here. The Tayside clubs are not part of the HL's tier 6 feeder negotiations so do not have integration with the North Juniors / HL available as an option.

They do if they seriously want to, however those who do the shouting about this want the EoS/LL and the remainder just go with the flow. They won't push it, but sometime soon they may not have any choice with WL clubs and potentially Tayport going EoS, they will find themselves an isolated league.