New clubs in the East of Scotland

It's really crunch time for the whole thing right now.

I think EOS should make a statement saying something like "We're going to have one more season of conferences, so if you want to join, its now or never, otherwise you'll join at the bottom if you apply in later seasons." I think this would concentrate minds and get everything out in the open.

Reading between the lines I think the EOS has been reluctant to step on the juniors toes or be seen to be the bad guy in all of this. Personally I don't think there was every any case against them, but I can see why they've kept things behind closed doors for the most part to avoid upsetting any sensibilities. But the cat is already out of the bag now that the WOS league plan is now official so there's nothing to lose. And at this point, its blindingly obvious that the juniors days are seriously numbered whether anyone likes that or not, and there's really no hiding place from this now.

Of course, there's a serious chance that most or even all of the south of Tay east juniors are going to join anyway, but for the good of the game this situation just can't be allowed to drag on for another season.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

48 minutes ago, Cameron Wilson said:

I think EOS should make a statement saying something like "We're going to have one more season of conferences, so if you want to join, its now or never, otherwise you'll join at the bottom if you apply in later seasons." I think this would concentrate minds and get everything out in the open.

Of course, there's a serious chance that most or even all of the south of Tay east juniors are going to join anyway, but for the good of the game this situation just can't be allowed to drag on for another season.

This debate has been going round in circles for a while now.

You've kinda contradicted yourself here, one minute you state give the conferences another season,yet you also state for the good of the game it cant be allowed to drag on for another season. 🤷‍♂️

Why should the EOSFL have another conference season when it's already setting up for the future wi its present format ? 

These new applicants have all had plenty chances to join the EOSFL. Any new applicants should surely start at the bottom now otherwise it's a bit of a kick in the stones on the teams that are already there and made the move in the 1st place.  

2 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

The vote for format preferences ended on Saturday. So I'm sure you'll be hearing what won soon. 

I'm not sure conferences are such a deal breaker for the East juniors as people seem to make out.

If most of the East juniors move together to the EoS then they'll be in the same tier and same division (either that or split between regional divisions if enough move).  They'll be playing the same teams as this season and that helps with the idea of maintaining  local games.

They don't have much choice by this point.  If they decide not to move for 2020-21 because they would be in tier 8 rather than tier 7 conferences then they'll have to apply in 2021-22 for tier 8 anyway.  There's no alternative.  Get left behind in the juniors and eventually join the EoS further down the line in a worse position or just join for 2020-21.

Edited by stanley

27 minutes ago, stanley said:

I'm not sure conferences are such a deal breaker for the East juniors as people seem to make out.

If most of the East juniors move together to the EoS then they'll be in the same tier and same division (either that or split between regional divisions if enough move).  They'll be playing the same teams as this season and that helps with the idea of maintaining  local games.

They don't have much choice by this point.  If they decide not to move for 2020-21 because they would be in tier 8 rather than tier 7 conferences then they'll have to apply in 2021-22 for tier 8 anyway.  There's no alternative.  Get left behind in the juniors and eventually join the EoS further down the line in a worse position or just join for 2020-21.

For the majority it won't be. That's why you're already seeing K&D publicly apply without knowing.

Think most of the concern over having conferences is to attract the "bigger" clubs left that might try for the WoS. Which I think is a tad overblown.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

For the majority it won't be. That's why you're already seeing K&D publicly apply without knowing.

Think most of the concern over having conferences is to attract the "bigger" clubs left that might try for the WoS. Which I think is a tad overblown.

It's kinda win/win for any juniors coming over. Either conferences: so still playing against clubs of the same/bigger status and, hopefully, bigger gates OR a more local league with a decent chance of success at the end of it. Obviously negatives to both options but preferable to a slow death against clubs from Tayside

16 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Rosyth noting that most Fife teams are now in the EoS - let's hope they join the dots and make the move...

It was interesting to see that a few EOS teams played ERJFA clubs (Rosyth and Kennoway at the weekend, plus Fauldhouse tonight) in friendlies - wonder how much was said between them!

Bumped into a mate last May who’s on the Rosyth committee. Asked when they were coming over to the EOS. He said they couldn’t afford it. They were under the impression it cost £2k to join the league...

12 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Bumped into a mate last May who’s on the Rosyth committee. Asked when they were coming over to the EOS. He said they couldn’t afford it. They were under the impression it cost £2k to join the league...

That's because its 2k to go for a licence which is the muddying of the waters sjfa were hoping for

15 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

You'd think people who run clubs would actually send an email or pick up the phone rather than believing hearsay.

You'd think people who run clubs would actually send an email or pick up the phone rather than believing hearsay.

^This^

There’s loads of clubs who they used to play every season who’ve moved over. Pick up the phone and ask these clubs the facts and the positives / negatives of moving. It’s not hard, by all means stay Junior if it’s better for the club but at least get the facts or you’ll be believing in £250,000 toilets and rainy Tuesday’s in Elgin.

https://www.thorntonhibs.com/news/club-announcement-2513853.html

East of Scotland Football League Application

At the East Region Junior Football Association meeting on Tuesday 18th February, Thornton Hibs indicated that we would be resigning from the association at the end of the current season with the intention to apply to join the East of Scotland Football League for the beginning of next season (2020/21).

Thornton Hibs has been a member of the Scottish Junior Football Association since our move to the Juniors in 1935, and it is with somewhat of a heavy heart that the club has made this decision at this time. We, as a club, have been a strong advocate of more local football due to our particular circumstances and preference, but have supported the ERJFA’s position during the break-up of the East Region over the past couple of years based on information provided to the club.

With the strong likelihood that additional local teams would be making an application to the East of Scotland Football League, we felt that the timing was right for Thornton Hibs to make the same move, particularly if this meant a more regionalised set-up and an opportunity to renew our more traditional rivalries within the SFA pyramid system.

Those that know our home ground of Memorial Park will perhaps appreciate the challenges to be faced as we attempt to meet any conditions of our application. We plan to work closely with all agencies and stakeholders in an effort to overcome these particular challenges in an appropriate timescale.

21 minutes ago, Marten said:

They've clearly spoken to the EoSFL already...

Kirkcaldy & Dysart, and now Thornton Hibs.

Which junior club officially  declares next ?

Maybe Rosyth ?  Kennoway SH ?  Lochgelly Albert ?  Newburgh  ?  possibly later this week ?

Not seen or heard anything following the Fauldhouse meeting last Friday.  Or didn't it take place as envisaged ?

16 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Kirkcaldy & Dysart, and now Thornton Hibs.

Which junior club officially  declares next ?

Maybe Rosyth ?  Kennoway SH ?  Lochgelly Albert ?  Newburgh  ?  possibly later this week ?

Not seen or heard anything following the Fauldhouse meeting last Friday.  Or didn't it take place as envisaged ?

It was postponed at the last minute. Being held this week, if I recall correctly.

It's good to see these early and public announcements from the clubs in the East. Unlike in the West they know where they're going and it allows everyone time to make an informed decision. 

These clubs will have been on the other end of things doing last minute adjustments to changes. The public notice gives time for those remaining Junior to come up with a workable structure. Especially those in the North of Tay who have no other choice.