New clubs in the East of Scotland

11 hours ago, Robert James said:

The EoSL will also be strengthened by Preston Athletic who are relegated from the LL. New manager  looks likely to shake things up and push for promotion. Could be 4 new EoSL clubs in EoSL next season.

As an aside, don't be surprised if Clydebank apply to join the SoSL in advance of the Holm Park redevelopment, with a view to licensing asap thereafter as part of the club's ambition to return to the SPFL.

I would be surprised to see a Clydebank application. 

38 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Any truth in the reports that Duns were considering rejoining the league?

Adding a seated stand seems a bit excessive to play in the Borders amateurs.

image.jpg

Seats to follow I understand.

Edited by cmontheloknow

They hosted a local amateur final a few weeks ago which I went to. Chat was they'll definitely be back, but question was whether it'd be this year or next. They won promotion to BAL B but with an "inexperienced team".

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

They hosted a local amateur final a few weeks ago which I went to. Chat was they'll definitely be back, but question was whether it'd be this year or next. They won promotion to BAL B but with an "inexperienced team".

Eyemouth, are all their Amateur team and done well this season no reason bar being fit why Duns can't do the same.

Cracking facilities, if that seaweed has fixed that park.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any clubs have left the league and returned in recent years (apart from maybe a reserves side like Berwick).  Duns left in the 70s and a new Duns came back a few years ago.  There's talk of them returning again but I don't think it would be fair to say that clubs regularly come and go as they please.  Much more likely to happen in the juniors with clubs going into abeyance for a season and returning. 

Kelty would presumably be certainties to be accepted because of their ground, facilities etc.  That's if they have definitely applied; we will find in the next couple of weeks with the  AGM.

Since the late 1960s the only clubs which have dropped out and come back were Kelso United who dropped out in 1972 and came back in 1976 (they then folded in September 2015 of course) and Selkirk who missed 2 seasons in the mid-1980s. So it's been far from willynilly - it's been almost unknown. Some reserves have floated in 'n out but that's unsurprising.

I suppose you could say Duns but they dropped out in 1974 and didn't return until 2011! Plus it was actually a different club who'd rebranded; and they dropped out last July, and they haven't returned (yet).

According to a post in the Kelty Hearts thread, they will release a statement after Saturday about their future.  Should be interesting.  Got to wonder if that means a statement saying they are moving to the East of Scotland League.  Waiting until after their last match of the season could well suggest that they're waiting until they finish the junior season before announcing they are leaving.  Otherwise, I'd assume they'd announce it sooner that they are staying to avoid uncertainty.  

Edited by stanley

Bit harsh that. Things started coming together latterly - in the last quarter of the league program they got a tanking off LTHV (so did many others) but won 2 games and lost the others 2-1 (A) + 3-1 (A).

Finished 2pts off 9th.

:lol: :P

I feel it's harsh to think they still can't win a game.

They'd a bad season, getting regularly thumped, but rallied to win 2 of their last 5 games and narrowly lost 2 more (one in stoppage-time) and finished close behind Ormiston + Tweedmouth.

On 2017-5-31 at 13:20, stanley said:

I don't think any clubs have left the league and returned in recent years (apart from maybe a reserves side like Berwick).  Duns left in the 70s and a new Duns came back a few years ago.  There's talk of them returning again but I don't think it would be fair to say that clubs regularly come and go as they please.  Much more likely to happen in the juniors with clubs going into abeyance for a season and returning. 

Kelty would presumably be certainties to be accepted because of their ground, facilities etc.  That's if they have definitely applied; we will find in the next couple of weeks with the  AGM.

The EoSL AGM is on 8th June.

As an aside, the SoSL has elected 3 new clubs for 2017/18, whilst losing Edusport. The NCL may also increase its membership for next season.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bit harsh that. Things started coming together latterly - in the last quarter of the league program they got a tanking off LTHV (so did many others) but won 2 games and lost the others 2-1 (A) + 3-1 (A).

Finished 2pts off 9th.

They not get beat 6-0 and 7-0 off Stirling Uni toward the end of season? Or was that before the last quarter?

That was March... In closing 5 league games they: beat Tynecastle 1-0, lost 2-1 at Tweedmouth, 7-0 to LTHV, 3-1 at Coldstream and beat Eyemouth 1-0. Obviously LTHV was a spanking but they won their next pair 8-0 and 11-0. Overall there was clear improvement having only won 1 and drawn 1 of their preceding 15 league games while conceding on average 5 goals per game.

Edited by HibeeJibee