New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Agreed.

Even if you don't win the EoSL Conference play-offs, IMO you are the clear favourite for promotion to the LL through the application route. (to replace Selkirk).  It will be important to learn how many additional clubs will be awarded an SFA licence on 12th February, and (also) become eligible for promotion.

I agree Linlithgow would make an obvious choice.  I suspect Bonnyrig may gain promotion through playoffs but would be nice to see both Rose's get promoted.

Is the 12th Feb D-day as far as licensing goes?  I thought clubs had till end of March to both apply and prove their capability of obtaining a license.

If it is the 12th then not long to go - looks like there could be a fair amount of clubs applying which would be great for the league

I’d be disappointed if the LL re-elected a relegated team as it’s just self preservation by the clubs. The goal of the LL is to get better access to the SPFL but why should SPFL 2 open up the bottom if the LL and HL aren’t doing the same. The LL should be looking to get the strongest teams possible in their league and I’m afraid that will have to come at the cost of many founding members of the league. A league made up of the best former East Juniors and hopefully Former West Juniors is far harder to argue against automatic relegation for clubs like Berwick and Cowdenbeath than the current one.

6 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’d be disappointed if the LL re-elected a relegated team as it’s just self preservation by the clubs. The goal of the LL is to get better access to the SPFL but why should SPFL 2 open up the bottom if the LL and HL aren’t doing the same. The LL should be looking to get the strongest teams possible in their league and I’m afraid that will have to come at the cost of many founding members of the league. A league made up of the best former East Juniors and hopefully Former West Juniors is far harder to argue against automatic relegation for clubs like Berwick and Cowdenbeath than the current one.

Fair points but there is no relegation from the HFL.

That might be an outside chance of an argument for a LL side looking for re election. 

Self preservation or not I'm sure all LL sides want to remain in it for as long as possible. 

After all the stronger ex junior sides getting in will only prove to be an anomaly for the LL clubs striving towards SPFL2  so the top end LL clubs might want to "self preserve" as well  ?

The SPFL2 play off system has to be looked at though it's far easier for the bottom SPFL2 club to stay where they are under the current format  ?

The LL whether this season or not, in future defo needs a minimum 2 doon though  ?

Edited by newcastle broon

I think it would be reasonable enough to re-elect a Lowland League team if the only reason they end up in a relegation place is due to the Selkirk scenario. That's basically the result of a badly written rule, so I wouldn't have a problem with the spirit of the rule in that case. In the SPFL, if a team goes bust then the number of relegation places is reduced by one, so that, say, if 10th in the Premiership is supposed to be safe, then they remain safe and aren't "punished" for something beyond their control.

It's obviously a bit different in the Lowland League since the number of relegation spots is more flexible, but I think it would be unfair for a team to be relegated just because someone below them went bust.

I think it would be reasonable enough to re-elect a Lowland League team if the only reason they end up in a relegation place is due to the Selkirk scenario. That's basically the result of a badly written rule, so I wouldn't have a problem with the spirit of the rule in that case. In the SPFL, if a team goes bust then the number of relegation places is reduced by one, so that, say, if 10th in the Premiership is supposed to be safe, then they remain safe and aren't "punished" for something beyond their control.

It's obviously a bit different in the Lowland League since the number of relegation spots is more flexible, but I think it would be unfair for a team to be relegated just because someone below them went bust.
I would agree if Selkirk went bust in March, but it was September, everyone knew the rule, but here were are almost in February and those clubs looking dodgy are now wanting rule changes mid-season (allegedly). It's pathetic if true, self preservation, just like the SPFL.

26 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I would agree if Selkirk went bust in March, but it was September, everyone knew the rule, but here were are almost in February and those clubs looking dodgy are now wanting rule changes mid-season (allegedly). It's pathetic if true, self preservation, just like the SPFL.

Self preservation right enough I'm sure your club would do the same.Out of interest which clubs that are looking "dodgy" have asked for this ?  From what I've read on here (allegedly) it was the Strollers who started the pyramid working group and they're pushing a top 4 place,hardly anything "dodgy" there  ?

4 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Self preservation right enough I'm sure your club would do the same.Out of interest which clubs that are looking "dodgy" have asked for this ?  From what I've read on here (allegedly) it was the Strollers who started the pyramid working group and they're pushing a top 4 place,hardly anything "dodgy" there  ?

Of course it's self preservation, what else can it be dressed up as?  I have no idea if it's true or just a rumour, I'm only going by what is posted on here and hopefully it turns out to be nonsense.

CSS did not start the PWG, they have suggested the setting up of LL2 (a decent idea). Maybe if this is all true, clubs should devote more energy towards that instead and get it set-up for next season to save their ass falling into EoS/SoS, from where it may never return.

26 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Of course it's self preservation, what else can it be dressed up as?  I have no idea if it's true or just a rumour, I'm only going by what is posted on here and hopefully it turns out to be nonsense.

CSS did not start the PWG, they have suggested the setting up of LL2 (a decent idea). Maybe if this is all true, clubs should devote more energy towards that instead and get it set-up for next season to save their ass falling into EoS/SoS, from where it may never return.

Ah right any chance borrowing your crystal ball to see where these non returning clubs end up  :thumsup2

Just now, lowenan said:

Which club is stronger at the moment? Blackburn United or Whitehill Welfare? Difficult to say. Will be really tough for WW to get back up, if they get relegated. 

They just signed two players from us who were up for transfer.  We've not been great this season either.

15 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Will be really tough for WW to get back up, if they get relegated. 

I think that's stating the obvious. 

New manager seems to have steadied the ship a bit though could be too late. That's why I'm a bit more optimistic regarding our chances of competing should the league be re organised  ?

Edited by newcastle broon

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Nothing to fear on that front, but I would to be a fly on the wall when it gets decided.

It has the chance to live on much like the Highland League's last expansion.

Could they  extend the LL to 18 like the HFL  ?

15 +3 from EOSFL/SOSFL (I know the south position at present but east looking good)  subject to license  ?

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

15 +3 from EOSFL/SOSFL (I know the south position at present but east looking good)  subject to license  ?

It's a bit of a cop out and would require a rule change (but there's already going to be anyway).

Officially you've only got League, LL Cup, South Challenge Cup and Scottish cup.

Could scrap the LL Cup for a year and look to get LL2 in place for 2020/21 to reduce back to 16

23 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I’m sure I read a while back that the sfa want maximum of 16 teams in Lowland League and were trying to encourage HFL to drop to 16 teams to match although HFL reluctant to do so as nowhere for the 2 additional teams to go other than NCL which wouldn’t be suitable for Fort William I would assume?

I’m sure I read a while back that the sfa want maximum of 16 teams in Lowland League and were trying to encourage HFL to drop to 16 teams to match although HFL reluctant to do so as nowhere for the 2 additional teams to go other than NCL which wouldn’t be suitable for Fort William I would assume?
Geographically Fort William would fit into NCL territory. The rest of the lower end clubs such as Lossie & Strathspey would fit into NRJFA territory. Ofc with neither league in the pyramid I dont see a reduction to 16 anytime. Nor the splitting into 2 divisions of 10 at twenty members as the two licensed clubs outwith the HL I dont see making the jump. Banks O'Dee seemingly havent got over being rejected by the HL & Golspie Sutherland are a fairly small amateur team who I dont see being up for trips to Aberdeenshire & the like.

39 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Ah right any chance borrowing your crystal ball to see where these non returning clubs end up  :thumsup2

Whilst on the subject of "crystal balls", it might be interesting if contributors to this forum became "Mystic Mac" (peering into the abyss) and posted their our own views as to which current ERJFA juniors (south of the Tay bridge), will apply to join the EoSL for 2019/20.

And before anyone objects, I will state that this " Mystic Mac" step into the unknown (ie crystal ball gazing) is compiled on the ASSUMPTION that  the PWG/SFA will not approve 2 separate overlapping Tier 6 pyramid feeder leagues in the east for 2019/20.  Please note however, that most attempts  at Scottish football FORECASTING (including mine) usually fail miserably !

Here are the eligible JUNIOR clubs which could become "New Clubs in the East of Scotland League"  for 2019/20, and  (foolishly) include MY PREDICTIONS :-

NOT APPLYING TO  JOIN THE EoSL :   * Armadale    * Fauldhouse     * Harthill Royal      * Newburgh        * Stoneyburn    * Tayport    * West Calder    * Whitburn

YES APPLYING TO JOIN THE EoSL :    * Bathgate         * Glenrothes    * Kennoway Star Hearts    * Kirkcaldy YM    * Livingston United    * Lochgelly Albert    * Lochore Welfare    * Pumperston    * Rosyth    * Thornton Hibs

OTHER POSSIBLE APPLICANTS TO JOIN THE EoSL  ?

* Clydebank (yes if  WoSL not created)     * Sygenta   (probable)     * Glasgow University (no)     * Musselburgh Windsor (unlikely for 2019/20)      * A M Soccer (no)     * Selkirk (no).

Your views are invited.