New clubs in the East of Scotland

16 hours ago, alan862 said:

Worry about that if it ever happens they are joining an amateur set up just because they would like to get to pyramid doesn't mean they will

That doesn't actually contradict what I posted in any way just in case you think we are having an argument.

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Tullibody is bigger than a number of towns/villages with non-league clubs so you'd think it would be able to support a football team, even if it's an amateur one...

I have played football in Tullibody a few times at the set of pitches that would probably have to be upgraded for a Tullibody team to be able to join the pyramid although that was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. At youth level, Tullibody has been strong over the years with Tullibody Hearts (who may have fallen by the wayside recently, I haven't been following closely), while Sauchie and going back a bit Clackmannan had junior teams and Alloa had the senior team. Both Tullibody and Sauchie are basically outer suburbs of Alloa.

Think Tullibody was a new council scheme built post-WWII when a superpit was opened at Glenochil that soon failed and got converted into the young offenders institution. Over the last 30 years or so quite a lot of new private housing has also been built as well once road links over the Forth improved. Causewayhead and Kincardine used to be really bad bottlenecks for traffic before that, which limited the appeal of the area as a commuter belt.

On 11/01/2023 at 21:45, HibeeJibee said:

Just to observe a little anniversary... it was 5 years ago tonight that Dalkeith Thistle announced they were applying to join the East of Scotland League:

Exciting future for Dalkeith Thistle     Club Announcement: East of Scotland League - News - Dalkeith Thistle FC (archive.org)

Somehow it seems longer ago... they were ultimately followed by another 25 clubs that year, followed by 2 the next, then 10, then 11 last and 1 this season.

On the way Kelty have won promotion to LL then SPFL2 & 1, Bonnyrigg to LL then SPFL2 plus Bo'ness Utd and Tranent to LL. Those clubs and Blackburn, Broxburn, Camelon, Dalkeith, Dunbar, Dundonald, Dunipace, Easthouses, Haddington, Hill of Beath, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, Newtongrange, Penicuik, St Andrews, Sauchie and Syngenta have all become licensed SFA members (also LTHV and Tynecastle).

Bo'ness Utd, Camelon, Crossgates, Dunipace, Musselburgh, Linlithgow, Luncarty and Tranent have won cups (also Heriot-Watt Uni) - some including Broxburn have made Scottish Cup R4, while several including Penicuik and Sauchie have beaten SPFL opponents.

Would take too long to list ground improvements/U20 participations/etc. Certainly proved an effervescent half-decade with a national emergency thrown-in too.

Crikey only five years, seems longer! a revolution that needed to happen and I don't think too many have regrets.

18 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Crikey only five years, seems longer! a revolution that needed to happen and I don't think too many have regrets.

hmm.  not too sure I agree with this.

you make it sound like someone, somewhere has regrets.

who. name them.  🙂

Best thing thats ever happened to lower league scottish football.

1 hour ago, oldandround said:

hmm.  not too sure I agree with this.

you make it sound like someone, somewhere has regrets.

who. name them.  🙂

Best thing thats ever happened to lower league scottish football.

Probably, but it could have been better and the negatives some worried about have prevailed. Lack of promotion and b teams being the worst.

A better outcome would be every champion club gets promoted, in every league, but just as down south the ground grading etc rears its ugly head. Worried about the spfl club's inability to run their own reserve League, full of youngsters and older, post injured players.Always worked (mostly) in the distant past. Are all the EOS clubs happy with the pyramid so far ?

9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Probably, but it could have been better and the negatives some worried about have prevailed. Lack of promotion and b teams being the worst.

Nobody at all saw B teams coming, and with any luck we wont see them again after this season.

Promotion between tiers 5/6 is a fair point, but that will change.

Both of those issues are leveled squarely at the Lowland League, not ideal but the fact is the Pyramid is now there and that's the main thing.

In another 5 years, we'll have seen another positive shift forward.

11 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Nobody at all saw B teams coming, and with any luck we wont see them again after this season.

Promotion between tiers 5/6 is a fair point, but that will change.

Both of those issues are leveled squarely at the Lowland League, not ideal but the fact is the Pyramid is now there and that's the main thing.

In another 5 years, we'll have seen another positive shift forward.

Generally a pyramid is the best structure. The disadvantage is that it relies on every part trying to benefit that structure. Unfortunately, there has been a greater degree of self interest than might have been expected.

Should probably know better than to engage but B teams were very much part of the conversation when the SPL-SFL merger negotiations were underway and it wasn't just the Old Firm that were pushing for it. Rod Petrie was a big fan of the idea when he was still with Hibs:

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?360734-Spfl-3&p=7223402&viewfull=1#post7223402

54 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Generally a pyramid is the best structure. The disadvantage is that it relies on every part trying to benefit that structure. Unfortunately, there has been a greater degree of self interest than might have been expected.

Agree, there's certainly been a level of self interest from the LL that probably has surprised most.  They have been following the same self preservation mantra that they were set-up to break.  However, the tide should hopefully change once the balance of newer members tips in favour of opening up more, even if that is one auto and one play-off as you would expect the EoS/WoS loser to beat second bottom of the LL.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering getting my amateur team involved in eos setup, does anyone here have any information that could help, won’t be overnight will be progressive but have a lot of good support from our village to start with. 

1 hour ago, naebor said:

Considering getting my amateur team involved in eos setup, does anyone here have any information that could help, won’t be overnight will be progressive but have a lot of good support from our village to start with. 

If you're serious about seeking out more information the links are up on the eosfl website now: https://www.eosfl.com/

image.png.1ecbb91f240642a68f23a0e08197d4a6.png

https://www.eosfl.com/downloads/eosfl/EoSFL-Entry-Criteria-2022.docx

https://www.eosfl.com/downloads/eosfl/Application-for-Membership-East-of-Scotland-League-2022.docx

It would give you the sense of what's required. If that's not enough to end your interest i'd imagine contacting the secretary with any specific queries would get response.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If you're serious about seeking out more information the links are up on the eosfl website now: https://www.eosfl.com/

image.png.1ecbb91f240642a68f23a0e08197d4a6.png

https://www.eosfl.com/downloads/eosfl/EoSFL-Entry-Criteria-2022.docx

https://www.eosfl.com/downloads/eosfl/Application-for-Membership-East-of-Scotland-League-2022.docx

It would give you the sense of what's required. If that's not enough to end your interest i'd imagine contacting the secretary with any specific queries would get response.

I had a look at it mate we’ve not got all that but have some and feel some is attainable within the next year or two. Was more someone involved at a club to tell us what entails being a senior team. Costs committee required etc. four of us just now and do a good job but get local crowds 50+ upwards to most home  games which is on par or more than some current eos teams. We would like to be progressive but only if it’s viable for us. We’ve plenty sponsors all equipment, own pavilion pitch etc just be what is involved with actually running an eos team. 

1 hour ago, naebor said:

I had a look at it mate we’ve not got all that but have some and feel some is attainable within the next year or two. Was more someone involved at a club to tell us what entails being a senior team. Costs committee required etc. four of us just now and do a good job but get local crowds 50+ upwards to most home  games which is on par or more than some current eos teams. We would like to be progressive but only if it’s viable for us. We’ve plenty sponsors all equipment, own pavilion pitch etc just be what is involved with actually running an eos team. 

Sounds like a sensible way forward i.e. to check things out before making plans. Good luck.

Would you be willing to say which club? Kirkliston & South Queensferry showed medium/long term interest in moving up to the EoS a while ago. It's good to see that, now that the door is open, amateurs clubs are checking out possibilities. 

35 minutes ago, Dev said:

Sounds like a sensible way forward i.e. to check things out before making plans. Good luck.

Would you be willing to say which club? Kirkliston & South Queensferry showed medium/long term interest in moving up to the EoS a while ago. It's good to see that, now that the door is open, amateurs clubs are checking out possibilities. 

It’s not kirkliston and south queensferry mate and keeping to ourselves before we decide to go any further but if anyone here had any information regarding running of a semi professional club would be massively appreciated, we could apply and possibly get stuff with temporary fences and gates to ensure our pitch is private etc but would  like to see what is all involved before making rash decisions.

On 10/01/2023 at 17:54, zenon said:

Going by the Scot Scores amateur rankings, Leven United, Tollcross Thistle, Doune Castle, Greig Park Rangers and Alva might want a new challenge. 

Cupar have the backing, Leven United have the backing and the facility but neither are particularly keen. Leven were junior up until the 1970s I believe before dropping the grades and have had consistent success since and previously under the Norton House banner. GPR don't have the their own park 

On 03/02/2023 at 18:41, naebor said:

It’s not kirkliston and south queensferry mate and keeping to ourselves before we decide to go any further but if anyone here had any information regarding running of a semi professional club would be massively appreciated, we could apply and possibly get stuff with temporary fences and gates to ensure our pitch is private etc but would  like to see what is all involved before making rash decisions.

Maybe get in touch with some of the newer clubs who've moved up from amateur recently like Edinburgh College, Edinburgh South, Inverkeithing or some of the other "smaller" clubs. Also the West of Scotland League Fourth Division is basically made up of new clubs and their criteria is similar to the EOS.

On 04/02/2023 at 22:49, WestHibee said:

Cupar have the backing, Leven United have the backing and the facility but neither are particularly keen. Leven were junior up until the 1970s I believe before dropping the grades and have had consistent success since and previously under the Norton House banner. GPR don't have the their own park 

Looking at the Border League, Eyemouth United Amateurs and Duns Amateurs seem to be on the rise. Selkirk Victoria are struggling, and it is a very long time since Chirnside had an SFA member club.

It is a shame that there aren't more border clubs in the EoSL. Some good grounds, in pleasant surroundings, and some good pubs,

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

Looking at the Border League, Eyemouth United Amateurs and Duns Amateurs seem to be on the rise. Selkirk Victoria are struggling, and it is a very long time since Chirnside had an SFA member club.

It is a shame that there aren't more border clubs in the EoSL. Some good grounds, in pleasant surroundings, and some good pubs,

I agree, it is a shame that there are not more border clubs in the EOS leagues but over recent years borders clubs don't tend to excel and actually have history of going in the other direction.

You only have to look at the likes of Duns, Selkirk, Kelso utd and also Eyemouth who have all had been part of the EOS setup but had to leave the league. Vale are on the down fall now, However the likes of Peebles, Coldstream, Hawick and Tweedmouth all seem to be holding their own playing at their level but i dont see much chance of either of them moving up the leagues. 

The exception is obviously Gala and i do recall the vale & peebles having a good spell under rab paget years ago but this was because they attracted players from Edinburgh down & spending big cash. 

Clubs like Chirnside, Duns even Greenlaw and West Linton would be good additions to the EOS leagues but is it worth the financial debt to potentially achieve not an awful lot.

Agree on the Pub part.

I understand that Langlee Amateurs and Melrose have ground-shares with Gala Fairydean and Melrose Rugby respectively so both have very good facilities. If they were interested they could move up to the EoS easily enough although the EoS fixtures secretary might not be so keen to have to work with those ground-shares?

Maybe if the bottom Division of the EoS was regionalised it would encourage clubs to invest in the move-up? It's been reported on the WoS threads that, apparently, the SFA disapproves of regionalisation in the WoS. Goodness knows why the SFA should take such an approach when the idea these days is to cut back on travel/fuel use!

Edited by Dev

2 hours ago, fanfromafar said:

I agree, it is a shame that there are not more border clubs in the EOS leagues but over recent years borders clubs don't tend to excel and actually have history of going in the other direction.

The exception is obviously Gala and i do recall the vale & peebles having a good spell under rab paget years ago but this was because they attracted players from Edinburgh down & spending big cash. 

Agree on the Pub part.

Peebles have struggled for a long time.

Vale look to be in trouble at the minute but the pyramid is there for teams to find their level.

Gala are doing exceptionally well to keep up their consistency season in season out and deserve huge credit for that. It might be a few years yet before they are in EoS waters again.Unless,of course,theres major changes at the top and bottom ends of the LL. 

There is also the story that Border amateur players preferred to play with their mates on a Saturday rather than trying a new level of football and the travel involved.

Would love to see more Border EoS teams.

Whitehill when they went senior in 1980 broke the mould in enticing players from the Edinburgh area. Rather than travel to the Borders players would prefer staying within a reasonable travelling distance.

This has been proven in EoSFL folklore.

Changed days now obviously with the merger of the associations.

All for the good of the game of course.