New clubs in the East of Scotland

24 minutes ago, nomorekelso said:

In regards to Edinburgh South, I believe the pitch that was previously Tynecastle & Tollcross Thistle would be their only suitable option. I think they'd maybe get the same permissions as Coldstream/Peebles and throw a perimeter fence around the public park and somehow get funding for floodlights. You could argue with Sport-Scotland funding the play-park area to the left of the changing rooms could also be made into a 5 a side football park and a new park placed there to accommodate what would be taken away.

In essence that does sound like a good idea and probably one that they would have looked at before?

image.png.ea6953cad69b6c87b861b7f901313fd2.png

Who would lift the dug shit 

On 25/05/2022 at 20:04, nomorekelso said:

In regards to Edinburgh South, I believe the pitch that was previously Tynecastle & Tollcross Thistle would be their only suitable option. I think they'd maybe get the same permissions as Coldstream/Peebles and throw a perimeter fence around the public park and somehow get funding for floodlights. You could argue with Sport-Scotland funding the play-park area to the left of the changing rooms could also be made into a 5 a side football park and a new park placed there to accommodate what would be taken away.

In essence that does sound like a good idea and probably one that they would have looked at before?

image.png.ea6953cad69b6c87b861b7f901313fd2.png

Did Tynecastle FC once play here? what is their situation with meggetland? 

On 25/05/2022 at 22:03, nomorekelso said:

Couple cones, and scoop it up old school.

It's what Edinburgh City did when I first watched them playing there.

That's football in Scotland, the locals are more interested in having a dug toilet than a leisure facility. Wouldn't get that in Germany.

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's what Edinburgh City did when I first watched them playing there.

That's football in Scotland, the locals are more interested in having a dug toilet than a leisure facility. Wouldn't get that in Germany.

Not in the old days anyway.

Find this interesting to see possible new clubs, trying to find old/new grounds to build up to necessary criteria. As I'm not 100% in knowledge of old clubs etc, glad that the P&B members know so much ! Would be great to see old photos one day ! Keenly await my next trip north the end of July.

52 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Find this interesting to see possible new clubs, trying to find old/new grounds to build up to necessary criteria. As I'm not 100% in knowledge of old clubs etc, glad that the P&B members know so much ! Would be great to see old photos one day ! Keenly await my next trip north the end of July.

Tollcross/Tynecastle’s old ground was basically a public park with a container at one end, it looks a lot better now with the new changing rooms. The ground criteria is higher than it was in this league in years gone by so it’ll take a lot of negotiations with the neighbours to make it secure… and they are a precious bunch in Craigour, the ultimate Karens!

https://goo.gl/maps/U7uxh4wjwC1Nh9Hv7

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Strange comment, from a non-West Lothian team supporter. Lots of really good grounds in WL to travel to, for watching matches. 

Having visited West Lothian juniors grounds for many a years now , I can honestly say there are okay but some strange locals at times. Add in Harthill for next season and the memories come flooding back. As long as y've got thick skin and not let yourself get intimidated, you'll be fine.

The seasons will soon pass and most of the West Lothian clubs will move onto bigger and better things. The wailing and gnashing of teeth will then no doubt be about who wants to drive to Hawick and Tweedmouth multiple times per season, but local derbies and scope for licensing may attract the likes of Duns and Eyemouth back eventually.

On 31/05/2022 at 19:32, Spyro said:

Tollcross/Tynecastle’s old ground was basically a public park with a container at one end, it looks a lot better now with the new changing rooms. The ground criteria is higher than it was in this league in years gone by so it’ll take a lot of negotiations with the neighbours to make it secure… and they are a precious bunch in Craigour, the ultimate Karens!

https://goo.gl/maps/U7uxh4wjwC1Nh9Hv7

For those interested: Fernieside was originally an athletics field used by Edinburgh Southern Harriers. Total non-drug cheat Alan Wells trained there in his early days. 

The tin shed was opened in 1991 with a game between Scottish Junior Cup Winners Auchinleck Talbot and Tollcross United. Edinburgh City ground shared with Tollcross having previously played at Paties Road from 1991 to 1995. 

There were tiny home and away dressing rooms with a couple of showers in each room. There was a tiny ref's room in the middle and I think the ref may have had to use either of the changing rooms if they wanted a shower. On top of the tin hut was lockable storage where the goal posts used to go after the game. A stone wall seperated the pitch from some unkempt tennis courts but that was demolished a few years ago. 

The new changing pavilion is actually quite nice. A similar one was built down at East Pilton Park near Ainslie Park. I'm not sure which amateur team uses that one. 

On 30/05/2022 at 11:39, fanfromafar said:

Did Tynecastle FC once play here? what is their situation with meggetland? 

They did indeed, the wind up there can be quite something at times. Match started against Tynecastle one day. Goal kicks ball coming back towards the goal was interesting to watch.