New clubs in the East of Scotland

13 hours ago, kleptomaniac said:

Queensferry Sports Hub passed over from Edinburgh Council to being a Community asset a number of years ago.  Incidentally theres also a spanking new 4 g pitch right next door to it at the High School.

Good luck to them, hope they can get all their ducks in a row and submit an application for next season.

Are there many clubs in the EoS area and outside the league which have suitable facilities? There can't be that many? 

I remember thinking that there's a few in Fife which might work, with some up-grades, e.g. Cupar Hearts, Leven United, St Andrews Univ. Maybe a few in the Border Amats although there seems decreasing interest nowadays from that direction. That leaves Perth/Stirling and the Lothians/Edinburgh. Has anyone taken on the licenced ground which LTHV used up to this season?

Duns are the obvious ones from the Border Ams, former EoS members, have got their ground upto licence standard I believe, and with the leagues reverting to P-1-2-3 from next season it may be the right time for them to re-join if they can get a competitive team together.

I've already heard of 3 amateur and youth clubs apparently interested - from Fife, Lothians, and Borders - though intriguingly all are different from those being mentioned here 😂!

However when it comes to amateur clubs you'll always find several times as many rumoured than get formally involved; a couple of times as many getting formally involved than ultimately apply; and not every club which applies might meet the criteria or obtain the necessary grace or waivers. You also have to remember how little amateur football has been played for almost 2yrs... indeed the Border Amateurs didn't play at any point last season... so there's going to be more fluidity, and for now lots of clubs will just be focusing on playing regularly again. Equally there may be a few who have taken stock and started considering new possibilities.

With the migration from the juniors having ended I think you have to accept that the days of a couple of dozen, a dozen or even half-a-dozen clubs joining in a single swoop are probably over. It will likely revert to a smaller number of amateur and youth clubs each year. It'd be interesting to chart how many joined the EOS and East Juniors each year over recent decades and from where. Over that period most - though by no means all - clubs getting as far as formally applying were successful.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Duns are the obvious ones from the Border Ams, former EoS members, have got their ground upto licence standard I believe, and with the leagues reverting to P-1-2-3 from next season it may be the right time for them to re-join if they can get a competitive team together.

They don't have floodlights although I think electrical trunking for them was put in some years ago; that aside the ground would be there or thereabout. It would handsomely meet EOS criteria certainly. They have gone off like a rocket in Border Amateur top division this season: 100% record and +16 GD after 6 games. Interestingly when they joined EOS back in 2011, a major reason was that they'd won the Border Amateurs (unbeaten) - and wanted to do more than just try to tread water. No idea what they'd be thinking now though. They've been up-n-down since quitting EOS in 2016.

8 hours ago, Dev said:

Has anyone taken on the licenced ground which LTHV used up to this season?

Unaware of anybody using Saughton at adult mens level.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

and with the leagues reverting to P-1-2-3 from next season

Only issue with that is the Third Division would still basically be a West Lothian league, would probably be more attractive the following season when the likes of Hawick and Tweedmouth are relegated.

15 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Only issue with that is the Third Division would still basically be a West Lothian league, would probably be more attractive the following season when the likes of Hawick and Tweedmouth are relegated.

Fair point, still West Lothian heavy, but from then on 3 up/down?

28 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Fair point, still West Lothian heavy, but from then on 3 up/down?

Apologies but I don't recall the promotions/relegations situation. How many clubs are due to be automatically relegated from Div.1 conferences A & B at the end of this season? Is it the top 2 from Conference X which are promoted to a new Division 2 ?

Edited by Dev

On 02/11/2021 at 17:56, LongTimeLurker said:

Hopefully they'll receive more of a welcome and flexibility on meeting ground requirements than Letham did. Still quite a few more large towns other than South Queensferry with no pyramid club such as North Berwick, Dunblane, Alva, Kinross and Cupar.

Agreed. From a recent visit to the Queensferry Sports Hub I did not feel that I was at a potential EoSFL ground. EOSFL management will need to show a high degree of flexibility so that new clubs can come on board. The distance from the new AWP to the changing rooms may be an impediment.

28 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

How would the relegation of Vale of Leithen affect the structure assuming that Talbot (or another WoSFL  club) win the promotion play-off to the Lowland League?

As it stands just now:
* 14th in Premier (currently LTHV) would also be relegated to First
* 8th in First A&B with better record (currently Rosyth) would also survive
* 3rd in First X (currently Bo'ness Athletic) would also qualify for new Second

That said current West leaders Pollok aren't even licensed.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As it stands just now:
* 14th in Premier (currently LTHV) would also be relegated to First
* 8th in First A&B with better record (currently Rosyth) would also survive
* 3rd in First X (currently Bo'ness Athletic) would also qualify for new Second

That said current West leaders Pollok aren't even licensed.

They Re working towards licence so surely be a bonnyrigg scenario 

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think its more likely not having to worry about Pollok despite how well they're doing.  Talbot with 2 games in hand only the 1pt behind have the track record to reclaim top spot despite their cup runs getting in the way.

25 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Bonnyrigg scenario only works if they were just waiting on being signed off,  Working on a license is what every non-licenced club should be doing(and indeed i believe its an EoS league rule)  

16 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I seem to recall Pollok being telt "nae chance" aff the neighbours a year or so ago. Am I confusing them with someone else or have the locals acquiesced?

It's just a case we've seen regularly since licensing came in,  obstacles that were previously seen to be insurmountable suddenly are overcome.  Clubs now have alot more motivation. 

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

It's just a case we've seen regularly since licensing came in,  obstacles that were previously seen to be insurmountable suddenly are overcome.  Clubs now have alot more motivation. 

I'm not saying a bunch of horse's heads were left in the beds of objecting voices around Kilmarnock Road by Tommy Coyne to quiet the naysayers. I'm just not ruling it out. 

Bonnyrigg scenario only works if they were just waiting on being signed off,  Working on a license is what every non-licenced club should be doing(and indeed i believe its an EoS league rule)  
I don't think it's an EoS rule. I think they'd encourage teams but they know its not necessarily for every club, at least for some clubs in the short term.