New clubs in the East of Scotland

"Muirhead said that, when Bo’ness United Junior FC was formed from the amateur team two years ago, his club had lobbied its members to say that as the main BU team had gone senior, then the other club could fill the void in the juniors.

"They were very much looking at completing a pathway for possibly younger people within the Bo’ness area to go up through the levels,” he added. "There were a few discussions about it with our members and concerns were raised that – if it came to a situation where we had to move back to the junior game if the seniors didn’t work out for us – what would happen then?

"And basically the juniors said they would have to bow out, disband, go back amateur or whatever it may be at that time because there wouldn’t be room for two junior clubs within a town the size of Bo’ness.

"That was conveyed to a hall full of 80-odd members of Bo’ness United (in sping 2019) who basically own the club, because I’m only a custodian put in charge by them."

This is the exact issue btw for all the people who keep thinking this is a "oh no two teams in one league system" or a "not another club with a raffle!" These snakes went before the membership of Bo'ness United and lied repeatedly about their intentions.

Were it Cadora, or Syngenta, or any of the other number of Bo'ness amateurs who were applying for the EoS these complaints wouldn't exist and indeed I would welcome their ambition, albeit while also questioning the wisdom of the move. This mob on the other hand, I can only hope fold, now that their charade has been shown up for what it is.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Particularly important to bear in mind when it’s Auld Heid and Specky, two very bitter wee men sharing a brain cell between them. 

The bold bit is precisely the main issue that’s got folks back’s up. 

The other thing I find incredibly bizarre is the Linlithgow Rose fans on here who seem to have plenty to say and be all ITK with all things Bo’ness Athletic -  It just makes you wonder why they wouldn’t entertain Linlithgow Thistle’s ambitions or bring them on board as part of a community set-up...🤔

The relish with which trolls like Auld Heid post about this club goes to show that the real interest here is in the destruction of a Bo'ness institution at the hand of formerly linlithgow based parasites. At the same time I guess their joy at the matter ,makes sense when you consider they have nothing to be cheerful about with their own club continuing its backwards slide into irrelevancy 

6 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

Linlithgow Thistle and Linlithgow Rose CFC were derby rivals at amateur. That continued when in Junior, added with the change of name.

The conspiracy theories are becoming obsessive and well past boring now.

They weren’t at all. Thistle played in the Edinburgh AFA and Linlithgow CFC played in Stirlingshire AFA. I don’t think they ever played each other before they went junior.

15 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

They weren’t at all. Thistle played in the Edinburgh AFA and Linlithgow CFC played in Stirlingshire AFA. I don’t think they ever played each other before they went junior.

I'd thought something along those lines. The way I remembered it was that Linlithgow Thistle were one of the top sides in the LEAFA when they left. With  Rose CFC, like most CFCs, were a lower league effort keeping them divisions apart.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd thought something along those lines. The way I remembered it was that Linlithgow Thistle were one of the top sides in the LEAFA when they left. With  Rose CFC, like most CFCs, were a lower league effort keeping them divisions apart.

To be fair the Rose CFC were in the top league in the SAFA with Bo’ness Cadora. But a different association than Thistle.

58 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

The relish with which trolls like Auld Heid post about this club goes to show that the real interest here is in the destruction of a Bo'ness institution at the hand of formerly linlithgow based parasites. At the same time I guess their joy at the matter ,makes sense when you consider they have nothing to be cheerful about with their own club continuing its backwards slide into irrelevancy 

Spot on Wullie. Specky’s post had me in stitches, talking about handouts and stuff for free! That no what FOLR is basically all about, and the Rose are the charity case gratefully taking the handouts? 😄

3 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

I think the so called big Bo'ness team are scared they get shown up on how to run and develop a team.

They seem to have “run a team” for many a year and you talk about develop, well if they weren’t doing that they wouldn’t be a league and class above you lot! Maybe you should look inside your own ground about how to run a club ! 

On 21/05/2021 at 22:04, Sure & Stedfast said:

All the public attempts at slandering Athletic reflects badly on Bo’ness United.

Instead of rising above it, like Athletic are doing, all it portrays is a sense fear.

Aye nae bother Alex ! 

20 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

Linlithgow Thistle and Linlithgow Rose CFC were derby rivals at amateur. That continued when in Junior, added with the change of name.

No they weren't, Thistle played in LEAFA whereas the Rose CFC played in the Stirling District and based on the games I played against them, they were never even close to Thistle. 

Edited by latapythelegend

9 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

3 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

No they weren't, Thistle played in LEAFA whereas the Rose CFC played in the district and based on the games I played against them, they were never even close to Thistle. 

Another blatant lie from a Linlithgow Thistle fan? What a shock! Must be a day ending in Y

17 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

Another blatant lie from a Linlithgow Thistle fan? What a shock! Must be a day ending in Y

He probably doesn’t even know Thistle’s history. To use the words of a mouthy Rose fan: “He’s just their chequebook and wants to do a Kelty”.

Getting back to the subject, can there really be any future new applicant clubs coming from Edinburgh given the paucity of suitable grounds that meet EoS joining requirements?  Edinburgh South already sharing outside the city, Leith haven't had their problems to seek although fingers crossed resolved soon, same with LTHV who - if rumour has it - are looking into a groundshare away from Saughton, Tynecastle sharing at Boroughmuir and the new Edinburgh College sharing at Oriam with HWU.  Are there any grounds in Edinburgh that meet the requirements but are not currently being used by a senior club?

Getting back to the subject, can there really be any future new applicant clubs coming from Edinburgh given the paucity of suitable grounds that meet EoS joining requirements?  Edinburgh South already sharing outside the city, Leith haven't had their problems to seek although fingers crossed resolved soon, same with LTHV who - if rumour has it - are looking into a groundshare away from Saughton, Tynecastle sharing at Boroughmuir and the new Edinburgh College sharing at Oriam with HWU.  Are there any grounds in Edinburgh that meet the requirements but are not currently being used by a senior club?
There's all the Edinburgh club rugby grounds which could be ground-shared. Myreside (Watsonians) and Goldenacre (Heriots) in particular are excellent facilities. The new Edinburgh Accies ground at Raeburn Place is impressive / horrible depending upon your taste. Not to mention Murrayfield (big or wee), or indeed Currie.

It would be a cold day in hell before some of the aforementioned voluntarily opened up their facilities to football. But it would be fun to scuff up their pitches, and sharing has seemed to work well at Meggetland.

Outwith the rugby, or even cricket, grounds, I'm struggling to think of any suitable pitches in Edinburgh which would meet the standard.

Would one of the better amateur teams like Sandys or Tollcross or Danderhall even want to move into one of these rugby grounds to join the EOSL? Doubtful.

In Midlothian there isnt a single pitch which could meet the standard which isn't already used in EOSL, apart from Lasswade RFC. You can barely turn a corner in Midlothian without seeing a football ground anyway, so there's no more room to support a new team I'd say.

In the Borders, my own local team Linton Hotspur have a genuinely superb and more than adequate facility. Playing surface is superb, the changing facilities are better than many, and a new enclosure has just been built. It could very easily be enclosed for EOSL purposes.

As far as I know, they have absolutely no intention of leaving LEAFA and I'm not sure the village could manage to or would want to sustain a team in the EOSL. The population here is tiny and aged, there is no real catchment population outwith the village, and the next big towns are covered by other teams already - Peebles, Penicuik etc.

It really is just a wee village team who happen to have a superb facility. I'd love to see an EOSL team here but it's not realistic.

Further afield I'm not seeing any great population areas not covered by a local team already.

Although there was nothing of substance to the Cupar Hearts rumours I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t make a go of it in the EOS. 

It would be nice if the league didn’t become too Lothian centric. And I’d like Saints to have a local rival. 

22 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

There's all the Edinburgh club rugby grounds which could be ground-shared. Myreside (Watsonians) and Goldenacre (Heriots) in particular are excellent facilities. The new Edinburgh Accies ground at Raeburn Place is impressive / horrible depending upon your taste. Not to mention Murrayfield (big or wee), or indeed Currie.

It would be a cold day in hell before some of the aforementioned voluntarily opened up their facilities to football. But it would be fun to scuff up their pitches, and sharing has seemed to work well at Meggetland.

Outwith the rugby, or even cricket, grounds, I'm struggling to think of any suitable pitches in Edinburgh which would meet the standard.

Would one of the better amateur teams like Sandys or Tollcross or Danderhall even want to move into one of these rugby grounds to join the EOSL? Doubtful.

In Midlothian there isnt a single pitch which could meet the standard which isn't already used in EOSL, apart from Lasswade RFC. You can barely turn a corner in Midlothian without seeing a football ground anyway, so there's no more room to support a new team I'd say.

In the Borders, my own local team Linton Hotspur have a genuinely superb and more than adequate facility. Playing surface is superb, the changing facilities are better than many, and a new enclosure has just been built. It could very easily be enclosed for EOSL purposes.

As far as I know, they have absolutely no intention of leaving LEAFA and I'm not sure the village could manage to or would want to sustain a team in the EOSL. The population here is tiny and aged, there is no real catchment population outwith the village, and the next big towns are covered by other teams already - Peebles, Penicuik etc.

It really is just a wee village team who happen to have a superb facility. I'd love to see an EOSL team here but it's not realistic.

Further afield I'm not seeing any great population areas not covered by a local team already.

Looked up Linton Hotspur there and they do have a good wee set-up.

I wonder once the structure settles down, that a Third Division start would be attractive to a club like that, same with a few other Border clubs with their own ground eg Duns, maybe an Eyemouth return.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Looked up Linton Hotspur there and they do have a good wee set-up.

I wonder once the structure settles down, that a Third Division start would be attractive to a club like that, same with a few other Border clubs with their own ground eg Duns, maybe an Eyemouth return.

The only other (million-to-one shot) I can think of is possibly Earlston Rhymers. They’ve got a great, pretty enclosed ground but would take a bit of work on the facilities going by when I last played there. It’s a really well run club though and would maybe take on the Kelso catchment a little as they don’t seem to have got their act together for years down there. I’m sure there was a season where they were NO Kelso football teams in the EoS or the amateurs! It was happy days for Gordon ammys though as a lot of boys went up there instead 😎

10 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Obvious one in the Borders is Melrose.  Excellent stadium and pitch at the Greenyards now being used for football and rugby. 

image.png