New clubs in the East of Scotland

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm afraid that if you don't own the ground and your lease doesn't specifically exclude it from being rented to other clubs then you don't get to choose whether you approve of it or not.

But that doesn't mean the SFA or league have to approve.

The existing member clubs ultimately get to vote on this. It isn't only a box ticking exercise by the league's board, so if the member clubs don't want to set a precedent of having an existing club forced into an unwanted groundshare in case it happens to them as well some day down the road they can reject the application at the AGM.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The clubs ultimately get to vote on this. It isn't only a box ticking exercise, so if the member clubs don't want to set a precedent of having am existing club forced into an unwanted groundsharing in case it happens to them some day they can reject the application at the AGM.

Don't you mean 'unwanted competition'?  The groundshare I presume you're referring to hasn't been a problem up to now.

The point is that the existing members don't actually need a basis to decline an applicant beyond simply not wanting them in the league. It's a simple yes/no majority vote so no reason for a no vote needs to be formally recorded. That aspect of the rules along with a lack of understanding that the "Midland League" = the east region (continuing) of the SJFA would feature prominently in a list of relatively simple concepts than many posters in these threads fail to grasp.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The point is that the existing members don't actually need a basis to decline an applicant beyond simply not wanting them in the league. It's a simple yes/no majority vote so no reason for a no vote needs to be formally recorded. 

Yes, agreed - it's up to the members, not the SFA or EoS as an entity.

Can't see too many clubs voting against the new Bo'ness application unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only OK if the other club involved approves of the arrangement and isn't having it foisted on them.

I don't agree tbh, if you don't own the ground or have an exclusive lease then you don't get to stop others from using it.

What I do have a problem with is clubs using the same name and colours as another, because I think that will cause confusion and is designed to leech off the goodwill of another club. But that applies whatever ground they play at. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't agree tbh, if you don't own the ground or have an exclusive lease then you don't get to stop others from using it.

What I do have a problem with is clubs using the same name and colours as another, because I think that will cause confusion and is designed to leech off the goodwill of another club. But that applies whatever ground they play at. 

I believe they're re-branding and incorporating name change(?).

There's precedent for that with Edusport to Caledonian Braves - not a problem.

1 minute ago, Che Dail said:

I believe they're re-branding and incorporating name change(?).

There's precedent for that with Edusport to Caledonian Braves - not a problem.

I don't mind a re-brand and a name change, and I'm hoping they're changing the colours and badge substantially too. In a town of 15,000 people or so you shouldn't have two senior clubs with the same colours.

43 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

A positive statement from a rebranded Bo’ness United Junior / Bo’ness Athletic:

"Our commitment to collaborations remains unfettered. We will continue to develop our friendship and connection with the Community Club, our relationship with the wider community of Bo'ness, and grow our new identity and brand".

Considering their primary collaboration doesn't rate a mention, it seems their commitment has now been "fettered" some what.

1 hour ago, Truthteller said:

Do all clubs get to vote or is it just the chosen ones ?

Takes a year to kick in. Not sure whether that is at the start or the end of the AGM the following year after getting voted in at the previous one. The EoS constitution does not appear to be online unlike the LL one.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

"Our commitment to collaborations remains unfettered. We will continue to develop our friendship and connection with the Community Club, our relationship with the wider community of Bo'ness, and grow our new identity and brand".

Considering their primary collaboration doesn't rate a mention, it seems their commitment has now been "fettered" some what.

It is well worded and thought out statement. I am sure that when the dust settles the LL based Bo'ness United will benefit from the "cream" of the new club's intake progressing to the lead club in the LL.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Another interpretation would be that they remain open to collaborate with others, beyond the range of organizations they already enjoy positive relationships with.  'Olive branch', I'd say.

Most importantly, they point out the potential wider benefits to the town that reach beyond football.  

2 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

It is well worded and thought out statement. I am sure that when the dust settles the LL based Bo'ness United will benefit from the "cream" of the new club's intake progressing to the lead club in the LL.

My understanding is that wasn't happening even when they were supposed on paper to be part of a shared Bo'ness United pathway. This is a rival club with relatively strong financial backing, so it's not a safe assumption that they will always be multiple tiers below Bo'ness United.

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

Most importantly, they point out the potential wider benefits to the town that reach beyond football.  

They said the exact same thing when they erased Linlithgow Thistle and wrapped themselves up in Bo'ness United. You'd have to ask someone from Bo'ness if that's more than just words.

All I know is they're on their 3rd identity in about 3 years so it's kind of hard to believe in their ethos and values, but certainly can't doubt their ambition.

20 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They said the exact same thing when they erased Linlithgow Thistle and wrapped themselves up in Bo'ness United. You'd have to ask someone from Bo'ness if that's more than just words.

All I know is they're on their 3rd identity in about 3 years so it's kind of hard to believe in their ethos and values, but certainly can't doubt their ambition.

I'm thinking more immediate measurable impact, such as having Senior football home match-days every week in Bo'ness.  Pubs, shops and cafes could have Linlithgow Rose supporters visiting one week and Bonnyrigg Rose fans the next (to use 2 examples). 

Local visiting supporters from Broxburn / Whitburn / Bathgate etc - business that would otherwise be lost with the BU in the LL.  

Plus you've potentially got 2x SFA Licensed clubs = two lots of Scottish Cup ties. 

Only seeing up-sides tbh.

Edited by Che Dail