New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

East stirlingshire did that with half price season tickets if u had a falkirk one

I'm not convinced it would work, but I think it's better than calling it Grangemouth and hoping for the best.

Building a crowd and maintaining it isn't easy. It needs a lot of work and/or a lot of money in the early stages. If tonight's money at it is signing players, you'd need a big upturn for it to work.

The best example I've seen recently has been St Rochs, but they had history to build on.

44 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you know who the league reconstructionist(s) on that thread are? That seems like the same multi alias making bizarre posts about every format from local up to European level.

I suspect it's somebody's hobby, rather than going to games.

Pete ploughed a lone furrow, selling his magazine at grounds in the pre-internet era, his rants in them were equally as mad but the magazine was good for keeping upto date with results and leagues all over Scotland, so in that regard he must have had a network supplying him with the data.  Those stopped about 20 or more years ago and he took to the internet from Portugal or somewhere, and it was all downhill from there.

He did have some good points to make occasionally about the SFA and football in general, but it was usually lost in a sea of WTF.

Just now, Burnieman said:

Pete ploughed a lone furrow, selling his magazine at grounds in the pre-internet era, his rants in them were equally as mad but the magazine was good for keeping upto date with results and leagues all over Scotland, so in that regard he must have had a network supplying him with the data.  Those stopped about 20 or more years ago and he took to the internet from Portugal or somewhere, and it was all downhill from there.

He did have some good points to make occasionally about the SFA and football in general, but it was usually lost in a sea of WTF.

Good for him, I'd be all over the Portugese 4th division if I'd been that lucky, not concerning myself with the Tayside question.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not convinced it would work, but I think it's better than calling it Grangemouth and hoping for the best.

Building a crowd and maintaining it isn't easy. It needs a lot of work and/or a lot of money in the early stages. If tonight's money at it is signing players, you'd need a big upturn for it to work.

The best example I've seen recently has been St Rochs, but they had history to build on.

It does make a lot of sense incorporating the name of the town or settlement in the club title.

I think that we will see more Youth set-ups applying to the EOSFL and WOSFL. They are very different from the general football model. Most will trace their origins to a few dads that wanted to establish a Youth side for their sons. One team subsequently grew into two teams and the club then begins to mushroom and we have say 20 or 30 teams or perhaps more.

Money can be raised with enthusiastic mothers an fathers. Sponsors arrive from all sorts of directions. Grants are available from local councils and other funding bodies.

The club becomes recognised as a community service. The downside arrives when players are 16 or 18 and the more talented ones migrate to Junior/Senior clubs. A few may remain with the club and progress into Men’s amateur football.

It is natural for those administering the club to consider at some stage creating a pathway to Senior football. This can be achieved with a partnership with a Senior club or by taking the difficult route of applying to the EOSFL or WOSFL and upgrading facilities as appropriate.

In most cases the level of support for a newly created Senior side is likely to be very poor at the outset. Interested family members and a few youngsters who play for youth sides is probably the most that can be expected to attend games.

However, providing that players are not paid it does not really matter. It may be possible to bring in older more experienced amateur players to swell the ranks but there is always the possibility of a clash of cultures.

A Youth club following the Senior route can over time have built up a lot of assets from grants and membership/monthly fees (say 700 players paying say £25 annual membership and £20 monthly training/match fees). Some money may be left over for important development projects! Then add the fund raising and sponsorship elements. Whilst some youth set-ups will struggle others will not.

The point I am making is that the funding model (assuming it works successfully) is very different for a Youth club that moves to Senior football. It will not work if the club is simply going to rely on its local support base in terms of matchday attendances.

A successful Youth club who establishes a Senior side in my view represents a positive element for the future of the EOSFL and WOSFL . However, it does need to be carefully assessed by the respective league officials to make sure that league criteria can be properly met and the applicants proposals are truly sustainable.

Edited by Pyramidic

13 hours ago, Eednud said:

Not sure best place to post this so here’s as good as any. Didn’t he also spit the dummy a few years back? https://scottishpyramidnews.yolasite.com

Funnily enough I was reminded of that site and checked it a couple of days ago. Pyramid Pete had a "re-build" page with another wacky idea of 20 teams divisions and 5 regions, plus some £100 membership thing for post-Covid. Couldn't make much sense of it! :lol:

Ironically, we are now a Tayside solution away from the end of the Juniors and a decent enough pyramid. 

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Funnily enough I was reminded of that site and checked it a couple of days ago. Pyramid Pete had a "re-build" page with another wacky idea of 20 teams divisions and 5 regions, plus some £100 membership thing for post-Covid. Couldn't make much sense of it! :lol:

Ironically, we are now a Tayside solution away from the end of the Juniors and a decent enough pyramid. 

Yeah, the 5 Region I think was his take on the Spanish model  of 2 national divisions and then the 4x Divisions of 20 at the 3rd Tier with a convoluted play-off system for the four promotion spots. Maybe finding out that the Segunda B is streamlining into 2x Divisions of 20 broke him.

On 12/03/2021 at 22:41, FairWeatherFan said:

Might have been part of Syngenta's overall plan, but they got kicked out. I think the company that run the place set up their own youth teams as a replacement.

Was little Kerse not supposed to be developing one of the 3G pitches with a stand and changing rooms for the shire to play there pre falkirk stadium arrangement?

10 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Was little Kerse not supposed to be developing one of the 3G pitches with a stand and changing rooms for the shire to play there pre falkirk stadium arrangement?

There was speculation of that but it was syngenta who wre supposed to be doing that

10 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

I remember some chat about it, but I think that was even in their SPFL days. It was that long ago.

On 11/03/2021 at 23:52, Dev said:

A list of clubs which are thought to have applied to the EoS or have stated somewhere that is their plan. Letham AFC added:

Bathgate Thistle
Bo'ness Juniors CFC
Livingston United
Pumpherston Juniors
West Calder United
Whitburn Juniors
Cupar Hearts
Letham AFC

Other East Juniors which may or may not apply:

Armadale Thistle
Fauldhouse United
Harthill Royal
Sauchie CFC
Stoneyburn Juniors
Syngenta
Scone Thistle
Tayport

Edited 8 hours ago by Dev

It’s very interesting isn’t it? Is it a case of simply expanding Conf A and Conf B? Or, will there be an additional Conf C?

Could there a geographical split?

Will the Premier survive as it is?

it’s going to be an interesting couple of months, 

Football outside the SPFL is clearly done for this season, and has been for several months, you would hope that the EoS and the WoS have been using that time to work out how next season operates and also putting in place clear guidance on what happens if there are further lockdowns and shutting down of the league.

9 minutes ago, morley said:

Throwing this out there to get people's views. If and I guess it's a big if, the Tayside/Angus region junior clubs are accepted into the WOS what does that mean in terms of implications on the LL/HL boundary. I presume the other organisations EoS, LL, HL, SPFL, aren't going to be consulted as its a decision purely for the WOS who their members are. But if they are accepted does it mean 1) in joining a Tayside/Angus club would have to accept that if they were to win the WOS (and licenced) they can not be put forward for the LL playoff with the EoS and SoS champions given they are not in the LL region. 2) alternatively would there need to be arrangement made between the WOS & HL that the HL accept the club directly into the HL from the WOS, or atleast add them into their own playoff with the NCL and North Juniors assuming as rumoured that such a playoff is being put in place. You can't imagine the HL would have any appetite for that or for that matter the NCL and North Juniors happy to agree assuming a HL playoff is put in place. 3) what does it mean in maybe the arguably more likely scenario (v the possibility of a Tayside/Angus WOS champion) of a Tayside/Angus club ending up bottom of the SPFL. By these clubs joining the WOS would it add to the argument that a Tayside/Angus SPFL club dropping down should go into the LL rather than the HL? As we know the current rule says they drop into HL so if not changed you could have Tayside/Angus clubs playing in both the WOS and HL. The answer to that 3rd question I guess depends on the answer to question 1 and 2. Just interested to get people's views.

There won't be any Tayside/Angus teams in the WoSFL.

11 minutes ago, morley said:

Throwing this out there to get people's views. If and I guess it's a big if, the Tayside/Angus region junior clubs are accepted into the WOS what does that mean in terms of implications on the LL/HL boundary. I presume the other organisations EoS, LL, HL, SPFL, aren't going to be consulted as its a decision purely for the WOS who their members are. But if they are accepted does it mean 1) in joining a Tayside/Angus club would have to accept that if they were to win the WOS (and licenced) they can not be put forward for the LL playoff with the EoS and SoS champions given they are not in the LL region. 2) alternatively would there need to be arrangement made between the WOS & HL that the HL accept the club directly into the HL from the WOS, or atleast add them into their own playoff with the NCL and North Juniors assuming as rumoured that such a playoff is being put in place. You can't imagine the HL would have any appetite for that or for that matter the NCL and North Juniors happy to agree assuming a HL playoff is put in place. 3) what does it mean in maybe the arguably more likely scenario (v the possibility of a Tayside/Angus WOS champion) of a Tayside/Angus club ending up bottom of the SPFL. By these clubs joining the WOS would it add to the argument that a Tayside/Angus SPFL club dropping down should go into the LL rather than the HL? As we know the current rule says they drop into HL so if not changed you could have Tayside/Angus clubs playing in both the WOS and HL. The answer to that 3rd question I guess depends on the answer to question 1 and 2. Just interested to get people's views.

Tayside to WoS, where on earth has this come from?

Football outside the SPFL is clearly done for this season, and has been for several months, you would hope that the EoS and the WoS have been using that time to work out how next season operates and also putting in place clear guidance on what happens if there are further lockdowns and shutting down of the league.
They already have plans. Those were mentioned on here a month or two back. For the EoS there were slightly different routes depending on if the season was completed in some form or another and how many new applications there were.

Just now, glensmad said:

I have absolutely no idea.

Very bizarre, I've also heard that at least one West Lothian club (not Harthill) still think they have a chance of joining the WoS.    I wonder what goes through people's minds at times.