New clubs in the East of Scotland

Now sense has been seen and the west Lothian teams are all going to the eos there is plenty to look forward to for everyone involved. in its day the juniors was a good grade of football to watch but time moves on new grounds to visit  old rivalries  to resume. and no glass ceilings for teams with ambition heres hoping we are back talking about the fitba soon 

14 minutes ago, Whitburn seniors said:

Now sense has been seen and the west Lothian teams are all going to the eos there is plenty to look forward to for everyone involved. in its day the juniors was a good grade of football to watch but time moves on new grounds to visit  old rivalries  to resume. and no glass ceilings for teams with ambition heres hoping we are back talking about the fitba soon 

Having read the latest on the WOSFL thread it would suggest that Harthill Royal can now go to the WOSFL.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I personally hate this line of thought tbh.  The answer is always 'lets find out'.

I don't think its unrealistic that Lochee could get promoted to the HL,  and that they might get a chance to win that over the course of a few years( they'd need a few things to go for them,  crucially not having another side being bankrolled) If that did happen then its just a case of seeing how they did,  and I certainly wouldn't consider if they got promoted,  struggled and relegated again within a season or two to be failure. 

Football is full of ups and downs.  20 years ago 2 lanakshire sides playing regularly in the top flight would have been unthinkable,  5 years ago Arbroath comfortably holding their own in the championship would have you laughed at.   St Johnstone winning 2 cups in 7 years was completely unexpected.   There are so many other stories I could use, it's what makes our game brilliant, get the structures right and watch the stories unfold.

If a club like Lochee United can compete for East Superleague titles, they can compete for a place in the SPFL. It's that simple.

When the non-league moved to 30 game seasons, and  the introduction of licencing there's very little difference between the non-league and the SPFL part-timers. Get a decent manager who can pull a solid squad together anything can happen.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I'd say the answer to that question is a firm no. I can see ourselves and Broughty reaching tier 5, but I think it's very unlikely either will get any further. There just isn't the potential for another SPFL team in a city with 2 full-time clubs and a further 4 part-time clubs nearby.

Could Lochee in the SPFL match the 3-400 crowds of Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City, Annan etc? Of course they could.

Any junior team in Dundee rising up the ranks has potential to become people's "wee team". Time it right with United or Dundee being a bit shit.

Lochee is the best placed in having a natural constituency from which to draw support.

Add in the community club model everyone is trying to develop where you have a pathway for potentially hundreds of kids playing age group football for the club and their parents  grannies, aunties and uncles as a potential customer base then Dundee could easily support another club at that level. 

30 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Having read the latest on the WOSFL thread it would suggest that Harthill Royal can now go to the WOSFL.

Part of me can understand  Harthill considering going West the other clubs East was the only way to go though some applying to the wos was only to save there own a#÷e after some of the things said about the eos

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Could Lochee in the SPFL match the 3-400 crowds of Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City, Annan etc? Of course they could.

Any junior team in Dundee rising up the ranks has potential to become people's "wee team". Time it right with United or Dundee being a bit shit.

Lochee is the best placed in having a natural constituency from which to draw support.

Add in the community club model everyone is trying to develop where you have a pathway for potentially hundreds of kids playing age group football for the club and their parents  grannies, aunties and uncles as a potential customer base then Dundee could easily support another club at that level. 

Fair point and we already draw a decent amount of support in from both United & Dundee when they're not playing themselves. I think it's a big ask and it could be a long road. You never know what the future brings but let's take things one at a time. When Tayside get into the pyramid we'll first need to worry about a license and then promotion. Depending on how Tayside will be in the pyramid that promotion can be quite tough with lots of competition. Once we do get to tier 5, which I definitely think could happen at some point, time will tell...

Just now, Marten said:

Fair point and we already draw a decent amount of support in from both United & Dundee when they're not playing themselves. I think it's a big ask and it could be a long road. You never know what the future brings but let's take things one at a time. When Tayside get into the pyramid we'll first need to worry about a license and then promotion. Depending on how Tayside will be in the pyramid that promotion can be quite tough with lots of competition. Once we do get to tier 5, which I definitely think could happen at some point, time will tell...

I'm old enough to remember the Marrs planning to apply to the SFL with St Joseph's before they laundered, sorry invested, money in Dundee.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Sorry if I've picked up the solidarity bit wrong but...,

Solidarity - Yip this is the type of thing that makes teams and associations fall short.
The pyramid is about getting things right, its not about sticking together to make things all cozy for ourselves because of past histories etc...

SPFL 2 did the solidarity crap and shafted everyone below SPFL 2 and everyone knows it from SPFL 2 below and SPFL2 above

We need a viable LL and a viable HL with feeders, don't want to make it lop-sided.
Me personally if it means any team north of the TAY must go into a HL feeder, then so be it.
This is about getting the pyramid right for the benefit of Scottish Football and Scottish Teams

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, Whitburn seniors said:

This is the bit that I’ve tired myself of trying to get through to most of the blind, stubborn “guid joonyurs men”. Folk like the idiots from Armadale and Whitburn’s committees who spoke shite about the EOS and the clubs who left. 

That “good grade of football to watch” hasn’t ceased to exist. It’s merely been rearranged a wee bit and immersed into a fit-for-purpose setup with benefits including full season fixture lists for starters! 😄

1 hour ago, Marten said:

It’s very much one step at a time.  I doubt anyone sees get tier 6 sorted, get licensed, get promoted, win promotion to spfl and establish themselves as a 5 year project,  over 10 or 15 years tho? Could well happen. 

Clubs often think in terms of the next few months(or even weeks) and yes that can be very important, but how to prepare for the next few seasons or the next decade should also be considered.

6 hours ago, Burnieman said:

As I explained it's not their business. I wouldn't expect the HL or its clubs to get involved over whether Tayside clubs joined the EoS for example. There's a solution there for Tayside clubs within the HL pyramid if they want it.

Yes, you do like to "explain" things. It's never just your opinion, it's an "explanation".

As for solidarity, that was in short supply when a certain individual from Tayside was chucking around abuse and accusing the EoS board of lying on here a couple of years back.

Whataboutery.

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If a club like Lochee United can compete for East Superleague titles, they can compete for a place in the SPFL. It's that simple.

When the non-league moved to 30 game seasons, and  the introduction of licencing there's very little difference between the non-league and the SPFL part-timers. Get a decent manager who can pull a solid squad together anything can happen.

when was that then?

7 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

when was that then?

Basically say from 2013 onwards. Creation of the Lowland League with the aim of getting to 16 teams all fully licenced and the same year that the East Region moved to 16 Divisions as standard. By 2017 the West Region were voting for 16 team divisions as well moving away from the smaller top tier and culling cup competitions to make it work.

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Basically say from 2013 onwards. Creation of the Lowland League with the aim of getting to 16 teams all fully licenced and the same year that the East Region moved to 16 Divisions as standard. By 2017 the West Region were voting for 16 team divisions as well moving away from the smaller top tier and culling cup competitions to make it work.

So when you said "the non-league", you actually meant the LL and the Juniors. Not the HL, Eos or SoS.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Yes, you do like to "explain" things. It's never just your opinion, it's an "explanation".

Whataboutery.

None of it is whataboutery. How on earth do you draw the conclusion that the EoS or its clubs have any sort of solidarity with Junior clubs in Tayside, particularly in light of what has gone on these last 3 years? it's a bizarre take on the situation I have to say, in my opinion...........

Edited by Burnieman

2 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

So when you said "the non-league", you actually meant the LL and the Juniors. Not the HL, Eos or SoS.

The Highland League were already playing 30+ leagues again by that point and the EoS/SoS were in a period of transition because of the creation of the Lowland League.

The EoS would have a single season playing 18 games across two divisions which wasn't found to be good enough, the 2nd season they kept smaller divisions but played 3x times a year bumping up the numbers and by year 3 were a single division that would have had 30 league games if Kelso hadn't pulled out.

Since 2013 pretty much everyone in the non-league has prioritised larger league seasons.

18 minutes ago, John S said:

They are in the EofS area anyway.

...and the statement had the following part:

https://www.eosfl.com/

These local authority boundaries will not affect any club already in membership of either League. Once a Club is admitted to a League, any application to switch Leagues will not be entertained except with the prior approval of both Leagues. 

So Dunipace would not be able to move to the WoS without permission from the EoS, which seems unlikely.

Edited by LongTimeLurker