New clubs in the East of Scotland

34 minutes ago, Dev said:

Hopefully the EoS and the WoS, and the SoS,  can get their heads together very quickly to sort out boundaries by the location of the ground (not the name of the club). However, clubs already on the "wrong" side of any new boundaries should be allowed to continue where they are e.g. Dunipace, Kello Rovers, Caledonian Braves Reserves and if they did make a move back to their "own" areas then they would not be allowed to switch again in future.

Denny is in Stirlingshire (Falkirk on the new boundaries) and is not much more than comfortable walking distance from Camelon so Dunipace are very much in perceived EoS territory. Their ability to go west was based on a quirk of junior football history. After the Stirlingshire League folded in the 1930s (?) clubs from Stirlingshire and Clackmannsnshire were able to apply to Glasgow/Central, Edinburgh/Lothian or Fife league setups as they saw fit.

There are no formal boundaries on this in the senior grade though so the SoS, WoS and EoS do not need to use county boundaries even if most people on here that are used to the junior grade way of doing things think they should (myself included), so the line can wind up being between Kirkconnel and Sanquhar rather than the D&G boundary, or between Armadale and Bathgate...

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I've mentioned a few clubs on the WoS threads which have taken advantage (or are going to) of this:

"In 2015 Parliament passed the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 giving more rights to community bodies to take over land and buildings in public ownership through asset transfer.  Since then, many grassroots community football clubs and organisations across all parts of Scotland have benefitted from these new rights and have been able to take over football pitches and pavilions via Community Asset Transfer. Essentially these football clubs have evolved into becoming community service and facility providers"

Clubs and their local communities are getting together to use this and getting funding from the Scottish Football Partnership Trust to create clubs which go from the very earliest age groups through to Walking Football. Notably aiming to give local kids the chance of progressing to the Under 20's Development Divisions and, because they need to be Pyramid clubs to be eligible for that, they include targeting the local Pyramid League e.g. WoS etc. Clubs in the west which are headed down this route seem to include Easterhouse Football Academy, Pollok United, East Kilbride United, Baillieston Thistle, etc. This is bound to happen elsewhere so I can't help but think that the likes of LK Galaxy at Little Kerse, Edinburgh South at the old Craigroyston ground, etc may be able to make the improvements needed at these grounds to bring them up to EoS standard, at least.

I also wonder if some youth and amateur clubs will be having conversations with nearby Rugby and Athletics clubs to up-grade to Pyramid League standard. Tynecastle have done this and Kilbride Thistle are hoping to do this in the west. There are some really good Rugby grounds around and some of the Athletics stadiums are close to being suitable already too.

There need not be a problem for Pyramid Leagues to work with clubs based at stadiums used primarily for Athletics. The EoS already does it with a Rugby ground i.e. Tynecastle at Meggetland. We've already seen the Lowland League request the clubs which didn't have floodlights to nominate an alternative flood-lit ground so fixtures can go ahead without disruption. Given that Athletics clubs Training Evenings and Athletics Meetings are planned ahead there is no reason why e.g. Syngenta (in theory playing in the EoS) couldn't play at Grangemouth Stadium. Any fixture clashes could be avoided (assuming Athletics has preference) by switching matches from Saturday to Friday night of a Sunday and, if the visiting club was not willing to accept this, then the match could be played at another approved venue e.g. the ground of another EoS club.

In five years time many Council playing fields and cages may be significantly up-graded to Pyramid Leagues standard. This could greatly expand the numbers of "Senior" clubs too. Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Dev

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

.... that the likes of LK Galaxy at Little Kerse, Edinburgh South at the old Craigroyston ground, etc ....

Craigroyston is in a different part of Edinburgh close to Leith and that club is still going as an amateur club effectively took them over when it looked like they were folding. The ground Edinburgh South might take over and develop is called Fernieside and used to be used by EoS teams many years ago when it was still OK to play on a roped off open public park in that context.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Craigroyston is in a different part of Edinburgh close to Leith and that club is still going as an amateur club effectively took them over when it looked like they were folding. The ground Edinburgh South might take over and develop is called Fernieside and used to be used by EoS teams many years ago when it was still OK to play on a roped off open public park in that context.

Thanks. I had Fernieside in mind but thought Craigroyston used to play there. Wasn't there some connection made on P&B between Edinburgh South and Fernieside a year ago when it became known that they were applying to the EoS?

Edited by Dev

26 minutes ago, Dev said:

Thanks. I had Fernieside in mind but thought Craigroyston used to play there.

It was tollcross that played there.  Its a decent sized area ripe for upgrade, should there be the finance and appetite to do it.  Edinburgh south have the exclusive let on it through their youth and amateur teams, but I've heard nothing on the obvious opportunity to upgrade the area for the EOS team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollcross_United_F.C.

fernieside.JPG

Edited by oldandround

4 hours ago, Tynierose said:

No surprise there is such confusion though when you have an idiot like Rod Petrie sitting in league meetings telling clubs they can play where they want.   In fact at one meeting he told east clubs they could go play in the south if they fancied it.

Mr Petrie may or may not be an idiot, but wasn't he simply stating the current position?

There is nothing to stop an east club joining the SoS (if the members accept them), just as south teams have played in the EoS in the past.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

There need not be a problem for Pyramid Leagues to work with clubs based at stadiums used primarily for Athletics. The EoS already does it with a Rugby ground i.e. Tynecastle at Meggetland. We've already seen the Lowland League request the clubs which didn't have floodlights to nominate an alternative flood-lit ground so fixtures can go ahead without disruption. Given that Athletics clubs Training Evenings and Athletics Meetings are planned ahead there is no reason why e.g. Syngenta (in theory playing in the EoS) couldn't play at Grangemouth Stadium. Any fixture clashes could be avoided (assuming Athletics has preference) by switching matches from Saturday to Friday night of a Sunday and, if the visiting club was not willing to accept this, then the match could be played at another approved venue e.g. the ground of another EoS club.

Edinburgh city obviously managed it before having to leave meadowbank  due to the redevelopment.  However for some reason athletics stadiums don’t seem to be that successful for groundshares,  I think the fact athletics meets often being for the full weekend makes moving fixtures more difficult,  and there is more conflict over where any developments of the ground should occur,  than there is between a rugby club and a football side who will largely want the same things.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

That was It ! Thanks.

Tynecastle also played there and they upgraded the pavilion with some of the money they received from the Craig Gordon Transfer to Sundeland.

The pitch was known as being a triple use facility. football ground, public park and dog toilet! 

12 hours ago, oldandround said:

It was tollcross that played there.  Its a decent sized area ripe for upgrade, should there be the finance and appetite to do it.  Edinburgh south have the exclusive let on it through their youth and amateur teams, but I've heard nothing on the obvious opportunity to upgrade the area for the EOS team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollcross_United_F.C.

fernieside.JPG

Fernieside was originally the Southern Harriers Athletic ground. Alan Wells trained here in his youth (and was surprised to find there was no dug shite on the track at the Moscow Olympics).

The Council "upgraded" the facilities in 1990 by building a daft wee tin shed at one end and Edinburgh City and Tollcross United shared the ground. We were playing at Fernieside when I first started watching City in 1995. City moved out to Meadowbank in December 1995 leaving Tollcross United as soul tenants 

About 15 years ago the Council found some shekels down the back of the Lord Provost's sofa and build the current dressing rooms, which are quite decent. Tynecastle decided that Meggetland was a better bet and moved out a few years ago and Edinburgh South's youth team currently use the pitch.

As stated there is room for development into a decent, if small, ground. I suppose a lease could be negotiated with the Council and a shed build across from the dressing rooms. The sticking point might be enclosure although it can be argued it's got a fence round it already and the fact that the locals quite like using it as a dug toilet. Personally I can never understand why amateur footballers in the second decade of the 21st Century have to put up with dogs shitting on pitches with all the dangers to health it poses but then I don't own a dug.

twitter.com/NewmacharUtd/status/1363577877975949318

Huge shout out to who generously donated 50 seats to us for our future plans for a stand at Charlie's.

👏

👏
We would also like to thank who organised the pick up from Fir Park and delivery to Charlie's.

👏

👏