New clubs in the East of Scotland

Perhaps the board would reject an application as they have allegedly done in the past, so it doesn't actually get to a vote. It really depends on their view as to whether they should put it to the vote to admit clubs outwith accepted EoS and LL territory. Clearly they viewed Luncarty as a unique case, how would they view Arbroath Vics or Forfar West End?

I recall sitting in an East Region JFA meeting where the Brechin Vics rep argued strongly against a new all-in Premier division due to travel. I wonder how many Tayside/Angus clubs would actually want to join the EoS without guarantee of some form of regionalisation, especially as trips to Tweedmouth, Coldstream, Hawick, Peebles etc are a real possibility.

Edited by Burnieman

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Perhaps the board would reject an application as they have allegedly done in the past, so it doesn't actually get to a vote. It really depends on their view as to whether they should put it to the vote to admit clubs outwith accepted EoS and LL territory. Clearly they viewed Luncarty as a unique case, how would they view Arbroath Vics or Forfar West End?

I recall sitting in an East Region JFA meeting where the Brechin Vics rep argued strongly against a new all-in Premier division due to travel. I wonder how many Tayside/Angus clubs would actually want to join the EoS without guarantee of some form of regionalisation, especially as trips to Tweedmouth, Coldstream, Hawick, Peebles etc are a real possibility.

If these clubs wanted to go north but Dundee clubs wanted to go south then could that be a possibility

6 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Clubs were told last year by the EOS that anyone could apply to join and it would be up to the existing clubs whether they were accepted. That doesn’t suggest that Luncarty was an exception. They were the only Tayaide team to apply.

Unless the board change their minds then they won’t be rejecting any application.

The simple way to resolve the Tayaide situation as I have already said is for one of the best Tayaide teams to apply to the EOS and for the clubs to decide. Then the north of the Tay clubs will know where they stand.

Clubs were told last year by the EOS that anyone could apply to join and it would be up to the existing clubs whether they were accepted. That doesn’t suggest that Luncarty was an exception. They were the only Tayaide team to apply.
Unless the board change their minds then they won’t be rejecting any application.
The simple way to resolve the Tayaide situation as I have already said is for one of the best Tayaide teams to apply to the EOS and for the clubs to decide. Then the north of the Tay clubs will know where they stand.

I know what they were told, but the fact remains that Tayside clubs are outside the EoS area and I believe it remains within the power of the board whether they allow an application of that sort to get to a vote if they don't meet requirements. Perhaps being in Dundee or Angus means they don't meet requirements, I don't know.

Livingston Utd applied late last year but the board decided not to make an exception and put it to a vote at AGM, telling them to try again next year.

Perhaps the EoS need to make it clear, and decide whether they will accept applications north of the HL/LL boundary so everyone knows where they stand. The clubs can decide that basic principle at the next meeting. Better surely than letting clubs apply, go to a vote, and being turned away.

On 23/12/2020 at 13:51, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess Austin MacPhee has more time on his hands again these days for his "AM Soccer Club". They were said to be interested in doing a Broomhill Sports Club type application where the LL was concerned at one point and are now very much involved with Cupar Hearts.

http://cupar-hearts.co.uk/category/season-2019-2020/

Think this is pretty much spot on.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I know what they were told, but the fact remains that Tayside clubs are outside the EoS area and I believe it remains within the power of the board whether they allow an application of that sort to get to a vote if they don't meet requirements. Perhaps being in Dundee or Angus means they don't meet requirements, I don't know.

Livingston Utd applied late last year but the board decided not to make an exception and put it to a vote at AGM, telling them to try again next year.

Perhaps the EoS need to make it clear, and decide whether they will accept applications north of the HL/LL boundary so everyone knows where they stand. The clubs can decide that basic principle at the next meeting. Better surely than letting clubs apply, go to a vote, and being turned away.

I still don't see why the EOS would tell their members that they will accept Tayside applications and then reject them. Livingston is clearly a different scenario. Having already told clubs that they will accept applications I see no reason why we need to discuss it at any meetings. Let's see if any team applies and clubs can then decide at the AGM.

It would help if the EOS made public their willingness to accept applications from teams north of the Tay. I guess that they don't want to be seen to be encouraging clubs to leave another organisation.

12 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

If these clubs wanted to go north but Dundee clubs wanted to go south then could that be a possibility

Even without Brechin City getting relegated if Albion Rovers are Club 42 instead, the Montrose Roselea example could easily be used to justify telling Brechin Vics that they are too far away and really do need to look north instead. If the initial idea of the Club 42 rule was primarily that the four part-time Angus SPFL clubs belong with the HL that could also be extended to Forfar WE, Forfar United, Arbroath Vics and Kirriemuir.

Dundee/ Broughty/ Carnoustie clubs that are really not much further than Tayport on travel and don't appear to be wanted by the HL could then go south if EoS clubs were OK with that along with any remaining Perth & Kinross ones, such as Scone, Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie. Doesn't have to be all or nothing on this as you point out.

I still don't see why the EOS would tell their members that they will accept Tayside applications and then reject them. Livingston is clearly a different scenario. Having already told clubs that they will accept applications I see no reason why we need to discuss it at any meetings. Let's see if any team applies and clubs can then decide at the AGM.
It would help if the EOS made public their willingness to accept applications from teams north of the Tay. I guess that they don't want to be seen to be encouraging clubs to leave another organisation.
My point is, maybe it's time the EoS formalised what areas they cover. That'll then let clubs know for sure where they stand.

Ongoing ambiguity on who can enter at tier 8 by application eliminates the need to ever have to negotiate tier 6 entry with locheeboy and the "Midland League" should Brechin City eventually get their way on the boundary, without actually formally commiting to going as far north as Forfar and Brechin in case the membership south of the Forth sees that as way too far to travel and it ultimately turns out they don't have to accomodate that anyway.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

For Tayport (and St Andrews as well) there's no harm in joining the EoS now and keep your options open to re-join the Tayside clubs if they ever get their act together, for a T6 in the North.

Tayport's chairman said they are going to leave if there's no pyramid resolution.

There are of course question marks are over the staunch juniors, Syngenta (ground?), Bo'ness United Junior (name?), Sauchie (reserve teams allowed?) and Linlithgow (will they return?). Just need to see who joins Livingston United and goes public before the deadline.

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

For Tayport (and St Andrews as well) there's no harm in joining the EoS now and keep your options open to re-join the Tayside clubs if they ever get their act together, for a T6 in the North.

Any idea what Scone Thistle are thinking about the possibility of a move too? They've had a tough start so far this season would that be due to players switching to EoS clubs or just the normal ups-and-downs?

The Stirling district seems thin on the ground at Junior or EoS levels except for the University, with Sauchie about the nearest EoS side. Wasn't there talk of a Dunblane side becoming Sauchie's Community Club in the JUniors or did that come about?

Edited by Dev

22 minutes ago, Dev said:

Any idea what Scone Thistle are thinking about the possibility of a move too? They've had a tough start so far this season would that be due to players switching to EoS clubs or just the normal ups-and-downs?

The Stirling district seems thin on the ground at Junior or EoS levels except for the University, with Sauchie about the nearest EoS side. Wasn't there talk of a Dunblane side becoming Sauchie's Community Club in the JUniors or did that come about?

The sauchie community club was set up from people from a club from dunblane

19 minutes ago, zenon said:

If there is still no answer to the Tayside pyramid solution and Scone Thistle do apply for the EOS, could it tempt the remaining Perthshire juniors Blairgowrie and Coupar Angus to apply also? 

It could though they would need to be accepted by the current EOS members - which might be unlikely given their location above  the HL/LL boundary and the extra travel time above somewhere like Scone.